Sledge Hammers!

Paint is neat if you have dexterity and a mild solvent. I think it would look good in lettering.

Old lettering for sure.

i'll see what i can do tomorrow, i'll set up pictures, i think the handle is pre mahoganized plumb, it seems really old and it doesnt have a screw wedge either

I just use my usual hammer, grasp my hand over the top and hold the head of the nail between my ring and middle finger. Jamb it in the wood, give it an accurate tap to fully set it and it's ready to drive. The magnetic ones work better but if you have any favorite old hammer it can still get the job done.

I just use my usual hammer, grasp my hand over the top and hold the head of the nail between my ring and middle finger. Jamb it in the wood, give it an accurate tap to fully set it and it's ready to drive. The magnetic ones work better but if you have any favorite old hammer it can still get the job done.
Yep, for extra reach we would lay the nail on a flat surface and strike it with the poll embedding the nail head into the end grain of the handle. Turn it up side down and swing it into the board to be nailed. Led to a few chipped out handles if you didn't center it well.

A friend of mine just sent this link to me. This thread seemed like a good place for it.

pick is 7lb warwood from a railroad
Probably missing a couple letters. Chicago Milwaukee St.Paul & Pacific. "The Milwaukee Road".
Dunno what '76 indicates.
Possibly year acquired. About that time they endured major company overhaul. Divesting, merging, etc. I think CMStP&P went extinct 1980s.

That's right. C.M.St.P.&P RR went backrupt in 1980. The Milwaukee Road ran through my town, Maple Valley, WA. The old track bed is now a regional trail.

This old railroad brush axe has been restored and is once again used to maintain the right of way.

2_003.jpg

That's right. C.M.St.P.&P RR went backrupt in 1980. The Milwaukee Road ran through my town, Maple Valley, WA. The old track bed is now a regional trail.

This old railroad brush axe has been restored and is once again used to maintain the right of way.

2_003.jpg
How heavy is that one Squarepeg?
I have only seen one other one that shares that ones eye weld where the eye is inserted into the blade rather than laying on top. If I am seeing that right?

I never weighed it loose. It's about 1800 grams as hung. I've seen these come in light, medium and heavy weights. I think this was originally a medium and has lost some weight to use and sharpening.

The weld appears to be a factory forge weld inserted as you suggested. Both sides show bulging of the blade material at the weld.

I never weighed it loose. It's about 1800 grams as hung. I've seen these come in light, medium and heavy weights. I think this was originally a medium and has lost some weight to use and sharpening.

The weld appears to be a factory forge weld inserted as you suggested. Both sides show bulging of the blade material at the weld.
The over all shape isn't a match to one I have, but they do share some traits, besides the inserted eye they have small eyes. So I wouldn't count out a manufacturer caller "Camaynari" . The last letter is not to clear it could be an I or a Y. It also has a star stamp with an A inside it.

That is one good looking hammer.

Back