Sledge Hammers!

More hammers tonight. A Vlchek 3lb ballpein on an 18" handle, a nice 3.5lb drilling sledge on a 10" handle and a 2.5ln Warren-Teed on a 14" handle. All are treated with a linseed oil-turpentine finish.

IMG_20170920_212008 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212031 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212050 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212151 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212211 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212121 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212237 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212247 by Justin Lyttle, on FlickrIMG_20170920_212227 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Atha, Stanley, Craftsman, Billings

Z2hmo3H.jpg

Z5wxhy8.jpg

Got a good pic of the first one so we can tell you if it's actually an atha? In general it looks extremely close to my CV Craftsman ball peen.

You know I didn't think the letter placements we're arranged for Craftsman but I have known to be wrong maybe once before

kJLeZ6i.jpg

B6NW7cv.jpg

Thanks for looking

You know I didn't think the letter placements we're arranged for Craftsman but I have known to be wrong maybe once before

kJLeZ6i.jpg

B6NW7cv.jpg

Thanks for looking
I've never seen anything other than the horseshoe logo for atha tools, so I wouldn't think atha.
Maybe send a PM to Steve tall because he's an identification wizzard.

What I see is closer to being the word Atlanta than it is atha, but I'm probably not even close either.

I've never seen anything other than the horseshoe logo for atha tools, so I wouldn't think atha.
Maybe send a PM to Steve tall because he's an identification wizzard.

What I see is closer to being the word Atlanta than it is atha, but I'm probably not even close either.

Thanks Hickory N Steel
SteveTall is definitely a wizard, that's a great description of his skills for sure.

Is anyone familiar with the faint partial markings on this ball pein?
I thought maybe it is Atha Tool Co. without the horseshoe if that's even possible.

B6NW7cv.jpg

kJLeZ6i.jpg

Here's a not very old about 12oz Us made Stanley ball peen I got a while ago for 2$ at a goodwill. I think I had posted a pic when I got it but that was back in the before time ( before PB screwed the pooch )
I don't normally like painted heads, but I keep this one in a tool box and keeping oil on it would be less than ideal.
The only markings were on the handle which are gone now because I octagonalized it.
Red isn't really my color, but it's what it had. It's also THE toolbox color and The Victorinox color ,so I don't mind it too much sometimes.

Here's a not very old about 12oz Us made Stanley ball peen I got a while ago for 2$ at a goodwill. I think I had posted a pic when I got it but that was back in the before time ( before PB screwed the pooch )
I don't normally like painted heads, but I keep this one in a tool box and keeping oil on it would be less than ideal.
The only markings were on the handle which are gone now because I octagonalized it.
Red isn't really my color, but it's what it had. It's also THE toolbox color and The Victorinox color ,so I don't mind it too much sometimes.
As long it is not painted pink nobody usually questions the color of the tools :)

As long it is not painted pink nobody usually questions the color of the tools :)
Yeah, pink is definitely not really found on any " legitimate tools " ( it could be but it's always only ultra cheap garage )

Btw I forgot to mention that I just painted this the day before yesterday after removing some rust from it.

That's a good looking Stanley.
That handle looks very comfortable.

Did you paint before you completed the hang? ...must have a steady hand if not:thumbsup:

Yeah, pink is definitely not really found on any " legitimate tools " ( it could be but it's always only ultra cheap garage )
Both Snap-on & Proto have pink tools.
The Proto I know of was a kit marketed toward a (upscale ?) kitchen drawer user.
Snap-on, I assume more as a novelty or support of defeating cancer.
As aside,
Dunno the full story yet, Local Police are wearing bright pink shirts lately. I assume its PR & cancer support too, but who is going to take a pink clad Officer seriously ??

Last edited:
That's a good looking Stanley.
That handle looks very comfortable.

Did you paint before you completed the hang? ...must have a steady hand if not:thumbsup:
Got the hammer months ago, octagonalized it's handle and rehung it shortly after getting it, put it in my house tool box, used it quite a bit, then discovered some rust on it the other day so I removed said rust and decided to mask off the handle and spray paint the head to add some rust protection.

Thanks on the handle comment , and btw that's a sweet wood mallet you got there:thumbsup:

The Proto I know of was a kit marketed toward a (upscale ?) kitchen drawer user.
As aside,
Dunno the full story yet, Local Police are wearing bright pink shirts lately. I assume its PR & cancer support too, but who is going to take a pink clad Officer seriously ??
Hmm, well I knew any tool company could make tools, I just didn't know any quality manufacturers ever had.

As aside,

I don't know first hand on pink tools other than the Snap On.
I worked with a few guys in the trades and they loved, sorry we're addicted the Snap On.
Snap on is a quality tool, as with most the older ones are better.
One of the fellas got his wife the ladies kit/box-for the home and DYI'er... it was pink.
I apologize I don't know or remember what the kit consisted of, I wasn't interested then either.
I use Craftsman.

Speaking of which I cleaned this up recently. Found it abandoned with electric tape all up and down the handle in the back corner of my grandfather's garage when we bought the house.

k7dEErJ.jpg

I was/am very pleased.

CQ0btNL.jpg

Hmm, well I knew any tool company could make tools, I just didn't know any quality manufacturers ever had.

I am not aware of Craftsman marketing and selling a pink tool, or tool box but I am wrong at least a few times a day

I don't know first hand on pink tools other than the Snap On.
I worked with a few guys in the trades and they loved, sorry we're addicted the Snap On.
Snap on is a quality tool, as with most the older ones are better.
One of the fellas got his wife the ladies kit/box-for the home and DYI'er... it was pink.
I apologize I don't know or remember what the kit consisted of, I wasn't interested then either.
I use Craftsman.

Speaking of which I cleaned this up recently. Found it abandoned with electric tape all up and down the handle in the back corner of my grandfather's garage when we bought the house.

k7dEErJ.jpg

I was/am very pleased.

CQ0btNL.jpg

I am not aware of Craftsman marketing and selling a pink tool, or tool box but I am wrong at least a few times a day
The problem with this is that Craftsman used to be a good way to go for tools 20 years ago, but sears has killed the beloved Craftsman tool line and ATM I believe only some screwdrivers and some hammers are being made in the US.
Luckily Stanley has acquired the Craftsman name and may hopefully bring back US production, they do currently have a couple handfuls of tools produced in the US so it's hopeful.
Don't get get me wrong I can appreciate a good older Craftsman tool as much as the next guy who appreciates a good value, they're just not a the source for decent affordable new American made tools right now if ever again.

Btw that's a beautiful old Vaughan produced hammer you got there.
My Vaughan produced Craftsman hammertooth framer from the 50's had a beautiful old octagonal handle on it that I wish I could've saved.

Edit : I just noticed this has the ribbed claws just like my hammertooth framer and think it's even more awesome now. Mine has a little nail puller notch on the right claw and is not octagonal but it would sure be awesome if it was.
This hammer really is extremely beautiful, and you're lucky to have it.

The problem with this is that Craftsman used to be a good way to go for tools 20 years ago, but sears has killed the beloved Craftsman tool line and ATM I believe only some screwdrivers and some hammers are being made in the US.
Luckily Stanley has acquired the Craftsman name and may hopefully bring back US production, they do currently have a couple handfuls of tools produced in the US so it's hopeful.
Don't get get me wrong I can appreciate a good older Craftsman tool as much as the next guy who appreciates a good value, they're just not a the source for decent affordable new American made tools right now if ever again.

Btw that's a beautiful old Vaughan produced hammer you got there.
My Vaughan produced Craftsman hammertooth framer from the 50's had a beautiful old octagonal handle on it that I wish I could've saved.

Edit : I just noticed this has the ribbed claws just like my hammertooth framer and think it's even more awesome now. Mine has a little nail puller notch on the right claw and is not octagonal but it would sure be awesome if it was.
This hammer really is extremely beautiful, and you're lucky to have it.
I bought 'hook, line and sinker' into the fantastic (what could possibly go wrong!) Sears lifetime guarantees of their 'Craftsman'-brand 45-some years ago. Sure their history and guarantee was wonderful but the quality of their tools, store hours and locations over the next 20 years ultimately turned out to be much lesser so. Some 15 years ago I slowly and gradually switched brands despite all the former hoopla, but once a year did faithfully make a journey into Sears with the annual accumulated pail-full of broken sockets/wrenches/ratchets/screwdrivers. They did replace them (no questions asked either) but 'made in USA' and other re-assuring features (the push button ratchet release among them) slowly disappeared and I decided never to buy anything 'Craftsman' new starting 25 years ago. Whoever picks up the "Craftsman" line (if they honour lifetime guarantees) is gonna have a helluva time reviving the former 'cred' without going broke through no fault of their own. The current incarnation of once-upon-a-time-renowned Stanley tools, unfortunately, has already become a lesser body than Sears ever was!

Back