Sling Pack

Anyone use a one strap backpack? I think they are called Sling Bags or Sling Packs. I can find them on the internet but I would like to get some input
from those who use them. I have some daypacks for squirrel and turkey hunting but the shoulder straps interfere with shouldering and sighting a firearm. I shoot lefthanded and would like a pack I could wear on my right shoulder, and not hinder my shooting.

It does not need to be real big. Just need room for a canteen, pillow case for game and forage bag, knife, flash light, extra face mask and gloves, etc.
Any input or recommendations would be appreciated.

22hornet

I would think that a fanny pack would be my choice?? Not in the way while shooting.. They have a tendency not to stay on your back.. Kinda migrate to your waist..
My wife carry's a sling pack hiking and she loves it but those are two different activities.. JMO..
John

I've used a maxpedition jumbo and remora as EDC bags. They are really weight dependent, in that once you hit the limit it's not like a backpack where it gets a little more uncomfortable, they hit the limit and things go south. But for what you are looking for, either would work well. Maxpedition makes left-handed packs as well. There are other packs from other makers as well, not sure who all makes left-handed bags though. I think Frost River makes some good canvas and leather bags, and I think they are more symmetrical, which has some pros and cons. Asymmetrical packs tend to sit behind you more, whereas symmetrical ones want to ride under your arm unless they are wide, and you keep the strap very tight.

For a lightweight option I like the Eddie Bauer packable sling. It's designed for left or right shoulder carry. The one I have is camo but I don't know if that's still an option.
I've got a Mystery Ranch waist pack that I carry as a sling bag. It's not as comfortable as the EB but it's made of a heavier material.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ordered a cheaper on from the "big river site" just to see if that would work for me.
I am really pleased with it. Holds what I normally take with me turkey and squirrel hunting. No shoulder strap interfering with my shooting shoulder and has room to spare. Fanny packs don't work well when wearing coveralls or trying to sit in front of a big tree to call a gobbler or trying to rest off your knee to shoot a squirrel.

Back