1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Slip joint disassembly questions, WIP pics

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by shipwright, Mar 18, 2016.

1. shipwright

shipwright Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2015
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. My pins won't be here for a few days, so I guess I'll get to shaping.

2. Taximanny

Taximanny

Jul 27, 2015
    Don't be afraid to shape it exactly the way you want to.
    Do as he said when peening.
    Even if you have to hold the knife at an angle to peen it.

Peen slow and test the action after a few peens after it starts tightening up.

Also peen enough that there is NO play in the blade.

Looking good.

3. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    Thanks Manny!

Ground my backspring to take the lanyard tube, and shaped up one side today. Shaped the bolster too, it was flat. Rat tailed it where the triple lines were before. I'm really liking the way it's looking!

[​IMG]

4. 1 ADAM12

1 ADAM12

Nov 22, 2013
    Man..., that's looking nice!!

5. thales2015

thales2015 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2014
    VERY cool project! Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

6. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    Thanks guys

7. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    Shaped up the other scale, and decided to acid etch the blade and backspring. I think it came out great, can't wait to see it all together. Probably won't get my pin stock till Monday, so I'll have to wait all weekend.

[​IMG]

8. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    This is gonna be awesome!

9. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    Finally finished! It's still a little too tight, but I think a generous oiling and working it a bit tonight will loosen her up. Pretty happy with the way it came out, definitely an improvement over original. Lots of steps I would do differently next time, but that's the learning curve. Still have to put an edge on it, but I'll do that after working the action a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John F. likes this.
  10. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    A few drops of oil and it smoothed right out. Snaps better than when it was new.

11. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    That came out GREAT! Very nicely done.

What are the chances of a quick vid of the walk and talk?

12. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    Thanks Andrew. lets see if this works

[video]http://vid1353.photobucket.com/albums/q661/Ben_Bentley/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.7C283BDA-E9DE-4C37-A543-C1D229E561D1_zpsajgk07js.mp4[/video]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  13. SunsetFisherman

SunsetFisherman

Feb 4, 2012
    note to self, denim mycarta+brass+acid wash = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

14. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    Excellent!

15. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    fantastic! I like the scales, but the regrind at rat-tailing are so great!!! now you've made me want to try this myself

16. shipwright

May 3, 2015
    Thanks guys! I think it's my new favorite knife

[​IMG]

John F. likes this.
  17. Taximanny

Taximanny

Jul 27, 2015
    Nice restore.

18. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Nice work Ben!!

19. Ryouchijtx

Ryouchijtx

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow Ben. I'm sorry I missed out on this thread the first time around. I actually had a Schatt and Morgan reshaped by BigBiscuit and then reground by Tom Krein. I know what you mean by their overpolished grinds/swedges and bulbous primaries.

This is absolutely fantastic. Your end result and contouring on the covers are a thing of beauty If it didn't say Schatt and Morgan I would have thought it was a full custom build you made up.

20. Jonny D

Jonny D Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2014
    That knife came out wicked! Great job on it Ben!