slipjoint assembly

Would any of you experienced slipjoint makers care to walk me through how you assemble a riveted pivot on a slip joint with a shim so that it doesn't end up too tight?
My first riveted pivot pin, using .005 bronze bushings came out ok but it's a bit tighter than I was aiming for...one shot too many with the hammer, sigh.
I don't quite get how to place the shim, it would be great to know what thickness is good.
I could work this out by trial and error, but by the time you get to that point there's so much time into the knife that it would be sooo much better to just get a lesson and do it right!
Thanks for any tips!
Andy G.

Cut a U shape in your shim and place it in from the blade end and it slips around the pin.Peen till it tightens up good and snug.Pull the shim out,and finish peening.Tap or two and check,repeat till blade play is gone.
I use .003 shim stock.
Stan

I do what Stan does, but usually I'll put a .002" shim on each side of the blade.

Another way to do it is use a pivot bushing and leave it .002" longer than the blade is thick. Then peen it up tight. The bushing wont let the the blade get too tight, unless ya get carries away with the hammer.

Thanks!
I have some .005 bronze on hand that I bought for spacer/bearing stock- is it better to use steel? I've heard of people using razor blades but they seem brittle- what I worry about is having something break off and get stuck in there.
So, Don, I'm picturing a bushing with a .125 hole through it for the stainless rod, like http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRI...re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults
Once again, what a great forum this is- I'm grateful to have a place where I can get a little coaching now and then.

Thanks!
I have some .005 bronze on hand that I bought for spacer/bearing stock- is it better to use steel? I've heard of people using razor blades but they seem brittle- what I worry about is having something break off and get stuck in there.
So, Don, I'm picturing a bushing with a .125 hole through it for the stainless rod, like http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRI...re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults
Once again, what a great forum this is- I'm grateful to have a place where I can get a little coaching now and then.

I also use .005" bronze washers for clearance (instead of relief milling the liners). But I use filler gauge material for peening shims.

Yes on the bushings. I use 3/16" OD... 3/32" and 1/8" ID.

I use .002 heat treat foil, both Stan and Don are right on with the way they do it.
Insert shim, put knife in half stop position and wail away untill you are sure the pin won't show.
Thats the way its supposed to work- he-he. If it does get too tight use the good old T.B.
untightening tool. Made mine from 440C spring tempered.
Ken
102_1070.jpg

Man, that's the first time I've seen a tool like that. Looks like one more I need to make.

Ken, I have needed one of those untightening tools more times than I care to mention.
Thanks for the photo, I'll make one.

Ken,Thanks for that picture,will probably work alot better than my big screwdriver:eek:

Stan

I'm spoiled. I've been to ken's shop more times than he has probably wanted me too. I've seen him use that tool before. After watching him work with all these little tricks of the trade, I've assumed everyone has these little gadgets.

In an odd way I find it very reassuring that even the Big Kids have needed a tool like that more than once! :confused:

I use .002 heat treat foil, both Stan and Don are right on with the way they do it.
Insert shim, put knife in half stop position and wail away untill you are sure the pin won't show.
Thats the way its supposed to work- he-he. If it does get too tight use the good old T.B.
untightening tool. Made mine from 440C spring tempered.
Ken
102_1070.jpg
I know this is a very old thread but I was hoping someone might have a picture of this “untightening tool” since this pic is gone. Lately I either peen them to much or not enough to hide the pins.

I do not know what tool that is. I have seen a video of Tony Bose "slacken" a blade if to tight, but no tool.

Peening the pivot would give me anxiety LOL. I ruined a couple of them due to being a ham fisted gorilla, and then there were a couple the pin did not hide that well due to being to light handed.

I learned how to use the bushing system and now I can peen heavy enough to get no blade side play as well as close up the liners so no light shows.

Peening a blade is now a pleasure to do because I know at the end the blade will move beautifully and not have to worry about locking it up.

I will not make a slipjoint knife without a bushing, life is to short to worry about locking up a blade and dealing with all the drama to remedy it.

Back