slipjoint centering

I just recieved a Case Sodbuster CV and the blade (near the tip high on the grind not the actual edge) rubs the liner. Is their any way or manipulating the pivot to straighten the blade? thanks also not going to send the knife into case, mailing to and from my address is a pain.
Paul

The blades are generally bent, or "crinked" to straighten them.

I don't think manipulating the pivot itself would help, not that there's much that can be done to the pivot alignment anyway.

I'm looking at my SS Sod Buster from Case (2137 SS), and I'm noticing the grind along the length of the spine is asymmetrical. In about the last 3/4" near the tip, the taper to the tip is somewhat convex on one side, and flat or concave on the other. This leaves the 'thicker' (convexed) side in closer proximity to the liner on the mark side of the blade (side with the etch & nail nick). This might be similar to what you're seeing; most blade-centering issues on smaller pocketknives are usually related to warped blades or uneven grinds anyway.

Look along the spine's length from it's rear (tang) end, with the tip of the blade pointed away, as if looking down the length of a rifle barrel. If there's any curve/bend/warp or grind asymmetry, you'll likely see it when viewed from that perspective.

I wouldn't be concerned about light blade rub on the Sod Buster anyway, unless it's preventing the blade from fully closing. If it's still too much to live with, I'd send it back for an exchange with another, to the dealer or to Case themselves (try the dealer first; most reputable dealers won't have a problem exchanging it).

David

Ok, thanks for the info guys, I think ill try to tweak the blade but your right, i'm not real concerned about it as long as the edge dosent hit and it closes.
again thnaks for the comments

I've made a few adjustments to slipjoints not exactly centered...ones I've made and ones I've purchased. I found this Factory video tour of GEC and there is a part about the 13:20 mark where he is adjusting
the tension on the blade after setting the pivot pin and I have used this method to align a blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-OpahW7EA

I know this is an older thread, but to anyone who is having problems with this like I have. I just tried the method Busto recommended in the video and it worked! It did loosen the pivot a tad so I would be careful if the knife you are centering has a weakish pull already, but thank you Busto for the tip!

Back