Slipjoint help?

ZOO

Anvils fear on blows.
Basic Member
I was wondering if all of you could help me as I have been looking into
a slipjoint latley, I have looked at case, Queen, kissing cranes, and a
few others. I do like the Queens (d2) but the others seem sort of
if-ie to me steel wise are the case blade steel as good as they say?
also I was wondering about other makers I just dont know all who
make real good slipjoints for under 50.00$ so please help me find a
couple. I would like some info as far as what you have how they
hold up, blade material, Etc. All help is app. I know you guys and gals
wont lead me astray.

Again Thanks
Zoo:D

Case CV is quite good. It's only in a limited range of patterns unless you go older knives, but it's good stuff. Queens are excellent, though they do require work to profile initially. I just hog it down with a coarse stone, and go from there. Done in 15-20 minutes. :)

You could also look at pre-Taylor Schrades. Old Timers are straight 1095, while Uncle Henrys are 420HC. Both are good workers.

Pre-1970 Case: Great, sharpens very well

1970 to present Chrome Vanadium Case: Very good to good

Stainless Case: Fair to poor

Kissing Cranes: Good, multiblades supposedly better than Sodbusters

Queen: Good quality, good steel but sharpening is difficult :mad:

Boker: Very good to good, sharpen easily, nice designs, high quality at a reasonable price (mostly)
Camillus: Good to fair, steel seems worse than some others

Always buy carbon steel slipjoints if you have a choice for better edge holding

Seems everyone dumps on Case stainless, but I have had no problems with it at all, for what I use a knife for.
No, I'm not carving ironwood or regularly slicing up 100's of cardboard boxes, so my personal experience with Case stainless might not apply to most here.

Case stainless sharpens easily, takes a great edge, does not rust even if neglected, and holds an edge for a reasonable amount of time.

I much prefer a steel that can easily be sharpened to one of the super steels that require a daimond hone and lots of time to bring back, especially if they actually get dull before trying to sharpen them.

There's nothing wrong with Case stainless or any of the other stainless steels out there, including 420HC, 440(abc), or the AUS steels, especially if most of what is being done is lots of fondling and not much actual use.

Some might disagree, of course.

Mike ditto what you said. For everday use Case SS works great and looks great. Least for this suburbanite!

My first choice is the Queen D2, that is what I usually carry. I have also had good luck with the Kissing Crane carbon steel (their regular patterns like stockman have better steel than the sodbuster, at least mine are that way). Case Cr-V has worked well for me, as has the Eye Brand carbon steel. I am not as impressed with the Boker carbon steel; it is 1095, but I have not seen very good edgeholding with it.

The primary benefit of the simple carbon steels is that they have good edgeholding characteristics and are easy to sharpen. They will also take a very fine edge with little effort. I prefer to carry the D2, but it requires diamond stones to sharpen them, especially if you let it get really dull before you sharpen it.

Mike mck2 said exactly what I was thinking. I've carried a Case ss bladed knife for the past year or so and found the exact same thing. Holds the edge for a moderate amount of time, and sharpens really easy. I've been carrying a Case from the "Case Brothers" line of Case knives as they seem to have a little better fit and finish than the regular run. Its a large gunstock pattern with a pen blade and spearpoint blade that will handle about 95% of what I need a knife to do.

Do you think Queens holdup as goog ??????

I like case and queen both

Zoo

Back