Slipjoint vs. SAK

GTO? Daughters car? No way I want to keep the boys away as much as I can. Don't think a GTO would help that much.
For me my SAK cadet is almost the perfecdt knife. However, my 3 main carrying knives are the Cadet, Queen stockman, and a Russell barlow. So I am in both camps and wouldn't do with out any of them.

I have wrestled with this question.
Allow me to share why, and my current take on this, and other life matters.
I was born in the South in 1955 and have lived in the South all my life.

Upon being brought home from being born, a Case Peanut, and .22 Revolver was placed in my dresser drawer crib.

Money was tight, and folks did not buy what they could not afford. One did not have credit cards, and if one signed a ledger at the market, drug store, that ledger was paid off on pay day.

One made do, did without, repaired, or did lay-a-way on items, including tools.
So one was wise to choose tools for "fit" and for tasks.
Try before you buy, was important, even though choices are nowhere what they are today.

One learned the correct basic fundamentals of tools and tool use.
No tool is ever better than the user of said tool.
One thought ahead, and had the tool for the job, still one was raised to Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

SlipJoints were users.
Livelihoods depended on these slip joints being sharp , maintained and not abused.

You break a blade on a knife prying, you had better have a real good emergency situation that dictated such a "sacrifice for the greater good".
Like getting into a house on fire and busting that blade to get a door lock open, or window lock - unlocked.

One had better not be a lazy person and not walk the few steps back to the tool box to get a claw hammer to pry a nail up, or screwdriver to get a paint can open.
You were raised to know to bring tools for task, bring the tools and use them.

Slip joints, well lessons did share how to use one to open them steel cans, (no aluminum cans, and no pull tops) or a bottle top, and NOT bust the blade.

We learned how to remove bottle caps with a Gov't Model of 1911 as well.
As Browning designed that 1911, the 1911 is a toolbox unto itself.

Camp knive, or Scout knives, were set back in case of emergency, like kits for when Tornados come through...
Scouts ( Boy and Girl Scouts) used them, still in time and locale Boy/Girl Scouts learned to use a slipjoint, and how to survive in the woods and even in the city with a slipjoint.

Never learn on a crutch and learn the correct basic fundamentals, are just two of many lessons passed forward.

Cold war and yellow and black Civil Defense signs.
I think we did more CD drills than Fire Drills when I was a kid.

Camp/Scout knives were not really EDC, especially for ladies and some men that worked city jobs.
So if the "Ruskies attacked" and having to run to shelter , like under Sears Roebuck...
EDC might just be that imitation MOP pen knife, a lady had or the Case Peanut the gentleman at the bank had.

I honestly cannot tell you what year I first saw a SAK.
Folks going on about "this" or "that" about it, and we all had P38s (Military can openers that came in C Rations, or knew where all the bottle /can openers were in stores, or how to use a pair of slipjoint pliers, or even a screwdriver to open a can of soup.

Oh yeah the GI Demo knife was another knife we had set back...

Honest to goodness contests on getting a soup can open with Carbon steel bladed Camp/Scout knife, GI Demo, SAK and whatever slip joint, most often a Case Stockman .
Some used the spey, others the sheepsfoot blade - but that slipjoint would beat the others getting a can of soup open!
In the hands of someone raised right, with correct basic fundamentals...

-
I had a Camillus Scout knife or two here and there, one tossed in my vehicle.
I assisted some folks on the side of the road and some weeks later, they tossed a SAK in the trunk.
I had refused any payment for assisting, just how raised.
Darn thing, stayed there, I never bothered to even look at it. I had a carbon steel knife and this SAK was "stainless steel" - no thanks.

I gave that knife away to couple , on the side of the road I assisted from out of state about two years later.

Time passes and I get a SAK classic, okay, nifty little deal still not a Case with scissors, still stuck back...rarely used by me, loaned to co-workers at times.

-
Time and politics hit. Ticks me off to no end!
Knife mfg forgot what brung 'em up. All about collectors and "stainless steel" blades, and goopy handles.

Mfg's start going out of business, cutting corners and what all...
Folks got all spoilt and citified and lessons on correct basic fundamentals, not learning on a crutch were not being passed forward.

Marketing indoctrinated folks they "had to have" and Credit cards meant getting more of these "gotta haves" to keep up or outdo the Jone's.

SAK is clicking along and the darn knives are sharp out of the box, will sharpen easy enough, and hold an edge long enough to do the tasks of what folks can do most times.

Not near as tough and rugged as that GI Demo,or Camp knife of yesteryear...still good enough for most folks.
Dang snap, walk and talk on a SAK Pocket Pal will outdo a hi-dollar knife with worse steel and costing too much money...pretty darn sad...knife mfg ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Rebel I am , and not just because I am a Southern Boy.
I have one SAK classic SD.
If'n I was to add others, they would be Pocket Pals, Bantams and Solos.
Why?
As these fit the stupid PC areas some have imposed, and the Solo is nothing more than a red Case Slimline Trapper to me.

I wrestle, I rebel.
My role is to pass forward as passed to me.
I by golly choose to show what a slip joint can do, and this means freehand sharpening too.

I have to accept some areas, some budgets, so a SAK tossed in a vehicle, or emergency kit, with a oils stone is "in addition to", or backup.

I still pass forward how to use a bone stock 1911 to open a bottle top, how to use a slip joint to open a bottle top and how to get top off using a sharp edge of a truck tailgate, counter top or whatever else is handy.

Nothing wrong with SAK, they have earned what they are, no doubt.
I gotta pass forward as passed to me.
Too much is not being passed on, and too much is being lost, and someday nobody will even know some skill sets - and not being passed forward - will be lost in history ...

Just a Southern Boy I am with Convictions, Hard Head, and mighty strong Rebel genes is all...

Regards,

Steve

We learned how to remove bottle caps with a Gov't Model of 1911 as well.QUOTE]

These days its hard to carry a 1911 around, but the bottom end of a Bic lighter or alot of belt buckles will open that cold brew as well. :thumbup::thumbup:

There's still a few tricks with the modern stuff serving multiple uses.

I have never understood why one would need a pair of scissors or a nail file on a knife.....isn't that what the blade of a slippie is for????;)

I've had a mustache since I was 20 or 21.
I forget.
I am 52 now, and do recall it was Dec 31 of some year, because whatever was looking at me in the mirror on Jan 1 of whatever year...

Scissors.
Now I never "really" needed scissors for my mustache, as I planned ahead and all that...
Just...well...she was good looking brunette, and that mini-skirt was...

Where was I?
Oh Yeah.

"Babe, do you have that little Case knife with the scissors handy, I seem to have a loose thread on my mini-skirt".

<Typical male - can't get a knife out fast enough>
"Yeah, I"lllllll get that thread!"
"Thanks Babe and - say, hold still <snip> you had a wild hair on your mustache"

Wild hair?
It never dawned on my them scissors would do that!
Sorta liked the way she did that too...

"Honey *sigh* you must be going through a stage, I did not used to notice your mustache needing a touch up this often"

*smirk* I may be dumb, I ain't stupid!

So the reason I can rationalize scissors if'n I want to on a little knife has to do with a good looking brunette, hazel eyes, and them mini-skirts and tight jeans.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Later...
"Babe! It is so beautiful! We gotta try this out!"

I got her a Stag Case Peanut with them scissors, we broke it in with a loose thread on them tight jeans she was wearing.

Like I said, I gots my memories and traditions with traditional knives 'fore SAKs were known to me.

<drift>
Nothing wrong with Bic lighters...
Just a Zippo will stay lit and give off light , and not go out with wind.

Set one on picnic table at night, meat from a Mom&Pop fillin' station and using traditional pocket knives we had us a "candlelight" picnic on the side of the road overlooking the lake...

Some things just "are" you unnerstand.

I gots to pass this stuff forward!

I'm going to have to look at this a bit differently. Why does it have to be SAK vs. Traditional slippie? Why not consider how they can compliment each other? I agree with many other posters on this thread that its tough to beat the versatility of a SAK. It's also to beat the looks and soul of a traditional slippie. There is absolutely a place for both in my EDC. As many of you now from one of my previous threads my current EDC is a SAK mini-champ and a peanut. Do I need both? No, but I like them both and simply enjoy switching things up a bit. Repaired a bent piece of metal with my SAK today and cut and peeled a pear and cut out some writing on a sheet of paper with my peanut. Plenty of work to go around. I drive my truck to work and hunting and take my family to church in my wife's car with the fancy leather and seat heaters. I have a place for both. So, SAK vs. Traditional slippies, I wouldn't want to be without either. I do have to say though that I consider my SAK's as hard work tools that won't hurt my feelings if they get broken. I'm more likely to abuse one. My slippies, real tools that I always use properly. Much more traumatic if my 20 year old pocket worn Case Stockman breaks or is lost than a SAK. I'm starting to ramble, so I'll let someone else have a turn.

Well, for me there doesn't need to be a choice; I always have 2 SAKs on me, a Vic Executive and alox Soldier. I often find used throughout the day for most of the features on the Executive, and also at least a couple of the tools on the Soldier. For exemple, on the Soldier I use the awl a lot as a scraper, the large blade for slicing fruit and other food items. I use the large screwdriver/bottle opener blade often for light prying chores, for which it's worked very well.

These 2 knives are so pocket-friendly that I hardly notice them until I need them. So it's not a sacrifice for me when I also carry a Case mini-trapper in a third pocket. (in cargo pants). I kinda wish I could find the Case Copperhead(?) slipjoint pocketknife. I don't think they're made anymore, but my computer's old and I can't seem to access the W.R. Case website without it freezing up. To me, that's an extremely beautiful model.

In addition, I have the Sebenza clipped to my pocket.

Do I really NEED all these blades on me? No. Back as a schoolboy, I made do with a simple Buck Cadet medium stockman. Then later I EDC'd a Vic Spartan for over 10 years as my only knife. That Spartan now is scarred, beaten and scratched up, had been gunked up and cleaned up, and is still very serviceable. It's been owned nearly 30 years now and still walks and talks better than some new knives today.

I really carry them because I can. I rationalize that I carry this one for x-purpose and that one for y-purpose. But I could probably get by with only one of those slipjoints, esp. one of the SAKs, by itself. But I have found need for all at one time or other, and when needed, those special features have been very handy, indeed. I simply enjoy good knives. And because I have these choices available to me today and I can legally do so in most places, I will continue to.

BTW, I do consider some SAKs to be traditional patterns, or at least variations of them. The Classic, and Executive, for example, are lobster pen knives, and in shape and many features resemble many old-time lobsters. And the Pocket Pal and Secretary are examples of equal-end office pen knives, except without the pearl, celluloid, or bone handle scales. I also consider the Soldier a kind of traditional pattern. The same general pattern has been in use for over 100 years both here and in Europe.
Jim

I think it is the handles and history of the traditional slipjoint over the SAK. The Congress is one of the oldest named patterns and dates back to the early history of the USA. The Stockman reminds me of growing up on the farm and one can imagine a cowboy carrying one. Plus, the bone or stag handles are the icing. Never uniform and one can really imagine a craftsman piecing together the knife.

The camp or scouts are a nice compromise. I've seen older SAK style knives with bone/stag handles. They look nice. How about replacing the spey on a stockman with a phillips/flathead combo (like the SAK classic).

-Jay

The only two knives I ever carry now are my SAK Compact (worth checking out if you haven't already) and a Case Peanut.
I don't like the look of the Compact, I much prefer the Alox models, but this knife has everything I need on it, and I miss it when I don't carry it.

The peanut is easy to forget in the pocket and has great steel.
I wish I could carry them both, but here in Australia, knife laws are tough, and unless I have a reason to carry a knife (food prep or for my job) it's jail time or a big fine. There's no way to justify two of them :(

I only own one SAK, and it lives in the glove compartment of my truck, along with a Leatherman Wave. However, I carry some kind of slipjoint all the time (canoe, trapper, stockman, whatever) with a Leatherman Sideclip riding above it in my right side pocket. I can generally get by without the Leatherman, but the pliers come in handy for cutting wire on hay bales and such. The blade's in a sad state, because I use it for scraping terminals and other nasty jobs I don't want to use my slipjoints for.

For me, it seems like i spent the first 20 years of my life trying to get away from the "old tradition" and the rest of my life trying to get back to it.

Amen, brother.

James

Details! Details! :eek: :D

Here's what I posted the day my coworker got bit:
Ok, so I am at work today, and am about to put away some venomous snakes that we used in a show. One of the girls in the Zoo services department tells me if I need back-up, to meet her in the snake room because they will be feeding the "vens". I say ok, and go about my business. About ten minutes later, I knock on the snake room door, andhere "Johnny, if that's you, we need your help....... QUICKLY!!" So I run in and see her trying to pry a snake off the hand of one of the other keepers. So is the keeper's boyfriend. It was a ball python, which grow to be about 6 feet long, not too big, and he's trying to use a pen to work the mouth. The thing about these snakes is, they are not venomous, but their teeth are curved backwards, so that they hook onto their prey and can hold onto it while they constrict it. It was constricting her arm, and her hand was turniing purple. I take over (having experienced the bite of a twelve foot burmese python) and try to use the pen to fold the teeth back, but it is too big, so I use the pen cap. Too small. Damn it, what do I use? WAIT!!!! My Super Tinker is in my pocket as always. I take it out, open up the can opener, and slide it betwen the snake's top jaw and the girl's hand, folding the teeth back, and making the snake let go. She was released, her wounds cleaned, the venomous snakes were put away, and we all made it home safe and sound. Chalk another one up for the little red tool. I love my SAK!!!

I'm going to start calling the can opener in my Tinker a "Python Jaw Popper". That might infuse a little romance into my boring old SAK.

It's hard to argue with the utility and value of the SAK. It's a helluva knife for $20-30. But choosing a knife isn't always about utility. There's something to be said for wood, bone or stag scales. A carbon blade with a nice patina may not cut much better than its stainless cousin but it evokes memories and feelings that an INOX spear point doesn't.

I think this applies to other areas of life as well. Let's see if this analogy makes sense. A few years ago the Mrs. was driving a '65 Plymouth Valiant (273-V8/console shifter, no Slant6/pushbutton tranny). It had little dents and dings, a bit of rust, was missing a few bits of chrome, thrashed seats/ carpet. But that car got more :thumbup: than her '03 Civic, which never even gets a second glance. The Honda Civic is the Vic Classic, it's on so many keychains that nobody bats an eye. The reason you see so many of them? They're consistant, reliable and a good value. But not nearly as cool as an old Detroit V8.

Frank

I'm going to start calling the can opener in my Tinker a "Python Jaw Popper". That might infuse a little romance into my boring old SAK

*grin*

Somewhere I just know someone is programming a CAD/CAM set up and in about 2 wks the Marketing Dept will start hyping :

Limited to 200 knives.
Ultimate Extreme Tack-Tickle Ka-Nifes with Genuine Imitation Python Handles and Jaw Popping Strong Geometry blade made from Unobatanium Steel .
$287.50

*whups*

I'm going to start calling the can opener in my Tinker a "Python Jaw Popper". That might infuse a little romance into my boring old SAK.

Maybe the Python Jaw Popper should be the 2008 ka-nife of the year for the traditional forumites! Picture it, snakeskin scales and "Elchuchillo" etched on the blade. Now all we need is a maker:)

Lol. Someone on here one time suggested we do a Forum Peanut Knife with Gator skin handles after I used mine to skin an alligator at work. Cool. The Gator Peanut and the Python Jaw Popper SAK.

I carry a SAK cadet but I'm torn

SAK: Cheap, lanyard ring, use the tools sometimes.

Jack: Has varied and potentially better blade types, warm wood/bone handles.

Back