Small belt ax, knife, and fly

Got the ax done today and finished the knife yesterday, the fly just invited itself. The ax head was forged out of a chunk of 5160. The head is just under 5" with a cutting edge of 2 1/2". The blade on the knife was from a piece of agricultrual tine and it 3 3/4" with wrought iron fittings and a stag tip handle. 7 1/2" overall.
PDRM1563.JPG

Your fly making skills need some work, but they appear to be far more advanced than my own - not a bad effort.:jerkit: The axe and the knife, however are really, really nice!:thumbup: I really like that style of knife. What did you do for a tang? Is it forged from the same stock as the blade, and threaded on the end or do you use allthread or a split bolt, and braze that onto a stub tang after finishing the blade? Whatever you did to it, you do really good work, dude!

Not sure where the fly came from but it most have followed me after I fed the cows. I thought they all died off.

Bennett, The tang is out of the same steel that the blade was made out of and it is threaded.

Awsome combination, thouse would go great for a big country hunter in the deep woods.

Ray what did you do to the axe handle about halfway down? Is it the lighting or did you texture the wood somehow? Nice work as usual

tnmike said:
Ray what did you do to the axe handle about halfway down? Is it the lighting or did you texture the wood somehow? Nice work as usual

I textured it for a better grip using a carbid burr.