Small CF Inkosi and question

I just purchased this wonderful knife a few weeks ago and it's knocked pretty much every other knife out of my pocket. It's the perfect combination between size, weight and overall ease of carry. I do like the extra thickness of the blade stock as well.

I did some surf fishing today and caught a whiting that we decided to cut up and use for bait. The only knife I had on me was the CF small Inkosi so that's what we used and it did a great job. Upon getting it back to the hotel, I notice a lot of little chips in the edge. Is this considered normal? It's not a big deal to me but I don't recall any of my other knives having this happen. I'll attach a quick photo. You can see the chips along the edge.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 62
While those microchips could most certainly be sharpened out, can't see that as normal cutting a fish up, unless you were chopping it up on the sidewalk. Something seems wrong, contact CRK for their take.

I've been using my Large Inkosi for a while on daily chores and it's still as sharp as the day I opened the box. That microchipping happened to me on a camping knife I was putting through pretty hard use (campsite clearing & wood prep), but I expected much worse edge damage than what eventually surfaced.

I have a large CF Inkosi
I sharpen it with a 40 degree angle (20 per side) and I don't have any chipping issue

It has happened to me on another knife but it seems a reason was my sharpening angle was too small

I was chopping the fish up in the wet sand. Would that cause these kind of microchips? But now that I think about it, it chipped a tiny bit the other day when I was sharpening a pencil. So maybe there is something off here.

I can't see sharpening a pencil chipping a knife unless you use horrible technique, twisting the blade out of each cut into the wood. Even then I doubt it should chip. Cutting a fish on wet sand? Like a little sand ontop of a hard concrete surface or deep sand like the beach. In the case of the latter I also doubt it should chip.

I would send it to CRK

I've got several brands besides CRK with S35VN and I've never seen S35VN chip. I've had it to flatten and roll, but never chip. That's the reason I like S35VN, it's resistance to corrosion and chipping.
Something is definitely amiss, you need to send it in like Lapedog suggested. Call CRK and explain what the issue is. They have a forum to fill out, it can be printed from their web site. Send the knife only, no box or paper work. They usually push warranty work ahead of everything else.

It was the deep sand on the beach. And the chip from sharpening the pencil wasn't as noticeable as the current chips but it was definitely there.

I guess I'll send it in later this week when we get home.

Thanks for the help.

I don't understand the pencil sharpening issue, that should not have happened.. Sure the chip wasn't there already?

However, sand and steel is not a good combo. Batoning or cutting stuff with sand on can make a knife edge chip easily.

Maybe it was there already. I wasn't particularly aware of any chipping until I first pulled out the Sharpmaker to try and sharpen it. I looked at the edge before sharpening and noticed a tiny chip. The only thing I had done with it up to that point was to sharpen a pencil.

Not a big deal. Maybe I'll sharpen the chips out and then see if it happens again, keeping better track of everything I'm doing with it.

I think to chipping s35vn @59-60 under normal circumstances would require doing something extreme with the knife you'd remember doing. Especially all down the blade like in your photos.

For example to get just the one of the smallest chips (pinhead size) in your photo on my 5" S35VN blade, I was batoning wood for 30 minutes in preparation for a fire. Upon stropping it was harder to find, it was that small.

Call/email CRK and at least discuss before you sharpen it out. I'm sure the've seen it before and will tell you if it's normal or a warrantee fix/replacement item.

Last night I was opening a box with those cheap ceramic candles inside, my small cf insingo does have a very thin 20* edge. When the knife cut through the tape it gently nicked the candle underneath, when I pulled it up it had a small chip towards the tip. I figured it was my fault for going too thin.

Back