Small Chopper in Pilot's Ejection Survival Kit?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by redsquid2, Oct 20, 2015.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
  2. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Moderator Moderator

Jan 28, 2005
    It is a 9 inch (14 inch overall) stainless steel russian machete. The russians have used this and one more design for a while now which they include in all kinds of pilot's survival kits, even on the survival kits issued for the Soyuz cosmonauts.

COSMONAUT-SURVIVAL-MACHETE-1200x691.jpg

At one point the machete doubled as the stock for the TP-82, a survival rifle/shotgun. That doesn't make sense to me, but that is how they worked it out.

Russian TP-82.jpg

The Spetsnaz (russian Special Forces) use what I think is a better design, which looks like the russian version of a Woodsman's Pal, but its functionality makes it more like the russian version of a kukri.

russian Spetsnaz machete.jpg

This video shows a good description of its features.

[video=youtube;RqZs8QDSMA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZs8QDSMA0[/video]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Pretty darn cool. I had no idea.

BUT it looks like that blunt tip has a chisel edge, which would slice into your arm, if you used it as a gun butt. :eek:

[OK, correction: I see the attachment in that second picture, for using it as a gun butt/stock]

The ice climbing function I am doubtful about. It just doesn't look stout enough.

The protractor - cool.

Grappling hook. I'll believe it when I see it, because it looks like it would not hold, on the top of a wall.