Recommendation? Small CRK Recommendation for a first-time, one-time buyer

Small CRK recommendation for a first-time, one-time buyer?

• Total voters
Hello. I am a long time lurker and have decided to get a CRK for my EDC. This is one of those buy once, cry once situations and I am undecided what to get. Hopefully this would be my last knife purchase and I want it to be a keeper.

I was planning to get a small Sebenza 31 but current lock rock issues has kept me doubting if that is a wise choice. Do I get the tried and tested small Sebenza 21 before they run out of stock instead? Or do I go for the small Inkosi? Among the three, I am currently leaning towards the small Inkosi.

I can't personally try these knives before I buy since I do not live in the USA and I don't have access to test them out. Any input is welcome and thank you in advance.

Some people don't like the ergonomics of the Inkosi. When I saw the thread about Lock Rock, I went to my SiriusXM to see what channel it was on..
I just bought a small 21 and the reason was it had a real kool CGG on the handle. If you can't handle one , it may make sense to go with the 21 or 31. I have medium size hands and I didn't see the inkosi as a problem tho. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Get the 21, they won’t be around much longer. What’s in stock at dealers is it. I’ve held a small Inkosi and would prefer the 21 over the Inkosi.
See if you can get one with silver hardware, the blue wears off fairly quick. You can always remove the blue yourself if you can’t find one with silver.

The Inkosi is very solid and smooth. I prefer the small 21 because of the longer blade and because it's slightly lighter and slimmer, while still being incredibly solid. If I'm going to carry a small knife, these are the features I want to maximize.

I like the 21's. I have three now and have owned a couple of others. Tried a 25, held an Inkosi but love the 21. Solid, simple, one tool to assemble/disassemble, simple and elegant. I haven't tried a 31, but am more than satisfied with the smoothness and lockup on my 21's.

Get what appeals to you the most. My personal choice would be a 21 with micarta inlay(bullet proof and can be re-blasted). The wood inlays are also very nice. But If a PJ was what you were looking at there is nothing wrong going that way either. In general you can't go wrong with a CRK, but I might wait on the 31 until I had a little more info-probably nothing wrong with them, but I would let others sort it out and go with a known winner.
Warning it may not be your last. They are addicting.

Last edited:
I was planning to get a small Sebenza 31 but current lock rock issues has kept me doubting if that is a wise choice

First, it's not an issue (at least on the ~dozen examples I've personally handled). Second, the 31 is the new path forward. All the chamfers are a bit nicer, the ceramic ball gives you a lot more longevity, and if you opt for inlays they are much nicer. It's a better knife, but it's that same 5-10% better that CRK delivers every decade or so. If you're in a position where you only want one, I'd recommend the 31.

I think a 21. If dont care for it try an inkosi, then try a 31.
I got small plain 21 for a birthday present. Liked it so much I have a spare new the box

I've owned many small 21's and my first CRK was the Inkosi which I still have in use. The Inkosi is slightly smoother of the two but the small 21 is plenty smooth. If the handle shape works for you the Inkosi, if not then you would be happy with a 21.

Best investment. If you can get one get the best -go 31. I love my Small 21.
Mo0dfVA.jpg

Tortie Tortie ,
The lock rock thread has left me a little conflicted too.

This is my recommendation:
Buy a lightly used small pj Inkosi off the Exchange. Wait for one that’s priced decent and pay G&S only.
If you love it, you’re done. If you hate it, you’ll be able to sell it for close to what you paid.
In the meantime maybe some of the issues in that other thread will settle out and the money you saved on your Inkosi will help you justify picking up a micarta 31.

Between the small Inkosi and the small 21, I can honestly say that the one I like best is whichever happens to be in my hand at a particular moment.

brand new? Definitely a 31 or an inkosi, but if you include used then the 21 becomes a better option. My small 21 that I carry I bought used for significantly less than new. But the only downside is who knows when CRK will run out of parts for replacement of it, but that will probably be years away.

I was faced with the same dilemma. I was really into the Insingo blades and they don't make them for the 31 yet so I just pulled the trigger on a small 21 before they sold out. If it was good enough for everyone for the last 10 years it should be good enough for me!

I would buy a L21. First reason beeing the new ones will be gone in a few months and they are great and have the pivot bushing system (as the 31 does). The 31 can always bu purchased later..:)

Back