Small Fixed Blade Carry?

So I finally place an order for my long wanted Toby's knife! :) So my question for you small knife carriers is what is your preferred method of carry? Front pocket, back pocket, neck, belt strong side, cross draw, scout? I know John provides as standard a kydex pocket sheath. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

James

The only way I carry any of my smaller JKs is in a horizontal cross draw leather sheath made by Mr. John Smith or darkmatter35 here on bladeforums.
I carry mine a bit different than its intended use though, I like to carry mine on the strong side so that the blade is facing forward and my handle is facing rearward.
I am constantly picking up granite and rubbing against the stone with my body at work. With my handle facing rearward im a lot less likely to chip up my nice wooden handles.
I would much rather my leather sheath take the beating of normal use than my knife handle.
And with a horizontal sheath I can sit down easily with the knife still attached to my belt.

Last edited:
Back pocket leather sheath.

95ca9022e3cea12da81a8972906a80ce.jpg

fa88f81cc0fced073e9708150401404e.jpg

1aeabf631e0e45a78896fe1e3a739c55.jpg

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For smaller knives, say under 7" inches, I usually prefer pocket carry for EDC. I use a sheath similar to the one jds1 posted. If I was using it for woods carry or camping I would probably go with belt or neck carry.

Here is one of my pocket sheaths. In my opinion these type sheaths will work well in both the front or back pocket. Most of the time I carry in my back pocket though.

23tyzm.jpg

Here is another sheath I made that can be used several ways. I can use the lace for neck carry while in the woods or remove the lace and pocket carry for EDC. I can also use the lace to form a belt loop or tie it to a bag. This one has my Sourwood texture on it.

640aa8.jpg

Last edited:
Back pocket most of the time, but in the cold months I carry in the inside breast pocket of my coat.

Small pocket sheath, front left pocket, do not know why, when I am right handed. Probably because keys are in right pocket. Do not put in rear pocket because does not feel good sitting on it. I have thought about cross draw horizontal from left side of belt. Great ideas, keep them coming. rgrizzle, love those pocket sheaths, especially the first one.

Lots of nice leather! That Sourwood texture is especially unique. Thanks, gives me much to consider.

good question!

I use a standard belt sheath of pocket sheath, and I second the darkmatter recommendation

DSC04903.JPG

DSC04437.JPG

I also like a pocket clip fro inside pocket carry with extra small gems

I've also takena liking to this sytem where the knfie can be removed with the shetah from a seperate belt loop, jhaven't tried it on smaller edc type knives yet though

DSC04925.JPG

Back right pocket most of the time.

Attachments

• Mini App.JPG
    Mini App.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Bluegill.JPG
    Bluegill.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 16
Back