small fixed blade

I'm looking for a nice small fixed blade 3-5", good steel, not necessarily stainless, something comfortable for edc, and price cap 200 bucks. I've been looking real hard at a chris reeve mountaineer I,

oh and ps micarta handles = a plus

Any short bladed Swamp Rat would meet your needs, but the Safari Skinner meets all the things you mention (it has micarta handles). Swamp Rat D2 is the best bang for the buck I've ever encountered in a very affordable fixed blade.

I'll second what djolney says...go with a swamprat and you'll be pleased. For an everyday utility/defense carry I'd recommend the SwampRat Bandicoot. Its got a 3.5" cutting edge on a 4" blade and 9" overall lenght...it's shorter than my Benchmade 805 TSEK when opened. It's 3/16" thick which is a little on the thick side, but this gives it work-horse lateral strength. It doesn't really affect the slicing ability too much as the Bandicoot easily sharpens to take a scary sharp edge which it will hold through heavy use. Any of the swamprat blades are built super tough.

take a look at Dozier knives...many available in 3 to 4 inches....look at ag russell site and vintageknives site

also check out Blademakers.com for any gene ingram and david winston blades in 3 to 4 inches

I highly recommend Bark River Knife & Tool. They make several models in the 3 - 5" range in not only several colors of micarta but just about any handle material you can think of and very reasonable. They are mostly convex ground A2 tool steel but also have at least one model that is hollow ground. Depending on your intended use I'm sure you'd find something to suit you. They make beautiful heavy duty knives. There are several dealers that sell these. Try the A.G. Russell site for some nice pics and descriptions and that is only a very limited example of their selection.

Back