Small hand tools you carry

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
This thread is for those real hand tools made by tool manufacturers that you EDC , not multitools or small keychain / pocket gadget type things.

Here are 3 that currently live in my maxpedition micro.

The MAC 4" adjustable and little Dasco pry bar are something I've recently switched from work only carry to my pocket organizer, and the little 4.5" slipjoint pliers are something I'm just trying out.

Last edited:
AFB25B9A-BC8D-4CEC-9148-D84A9BD9A1BA.jpeg

I don’t like multitools either. I have never found a good use for the pliers like yours either. Even though they are the classic plier they don’t seem to do anything well in my hand.

the small pair of channel locks is something I cannot live without. Perfect size for a pocket and can really do some serious work. Although I think I push them too hard, I’ve broke a couple pairs. They split at one of the adjustment grooves. A decent six way driver is much nicer to use than a multitool driver. The cross pen I’ve had for about 20 years has a space pen refill. The adjustable wrench is a Klein and it is very well made.

I have a crow bar like yours on my keys. It is very handy to have. I squared off the hole so it will work to shut off an acetylene tank.

Last edited:
the small pair of channel locks is something I cannot live without. Perfect size for a pocket and can really do some serious work. Although I think I push them too hard, I’ve broke a couple pairs. They split at one of the adjustment grooves. A decent six way driver is much nicer to use than a multitool driver. The cross pen I’ve had for about 20 years has a space pen refill. The adjustable wrench is a Klein and it is very well made.

I'm curious how you carry those.

I don’t like multitools either. I have never found a good use for the pliers like yours either. Even though they are the classic plier they don’t seem to do anything well in my hand.
I actually do like multitools and carry an old Leatherman PST at work along with a pair of #426 Channellocks.
The MT pliers for lots of random grabbing and pulling, and the channellocks for water faucets and hoses and such.
This is my belt pouch on the right that I carry at work, minus the pry bar and 4" adjustable which moved to my pocket organizer. ( Still on me of course )

I recently misplaced my first little Dasco pry bar while I was off for a couple weeks, so I started carrying the other one which I notched.

I have found I quite like slipjoint pliers for holding round things they work so well, but I am going to get a little pair of Channellock #424 in this size.
I don't know if a little pair of tongue and groove pliers will work out as well for me though, especially at work when I've already got the 6" pair on my belt.

Last edited:
View attachment 1302065

I have a crow bar like yours on my keys. It is very handy to have. I squared off the hole so it will work to shut off an acetylene tank.
A man can get a lot done with some pliers, an adjustable wrench and a 6 in 1 screwdriver. As a handyman, I have so many tools in the back seat of my truck, it’s uninhabitable.

A man can get a lot done with some pliers, an adjustable wrench and a 6 in 1 screwdriver. As a handyman, I have so many tools in the back seat of my truck, it’s uninhabitable.
Those 3 get me through my work day quite often.
Now that we've just been remodeled there won't be as many things on the brink of falling apart on me every day, but they didn't replace everything and there are a few things they're dragging their feet on so I suspect the need for my tools won't be quite as low as I imagine.

I'm curious how you carry those.

The Buck is in a belt sheath.

I’ve been carrying those same tools for 30 years. Most of that time just in my front pocket. I’ve worn out a couple leather “pocket protectors” that go in my back pocket, from a guy named “Wireman”. They worked well but flap when I walk.

now I’m playing with a pouch from Occidental leather. I like it a lot, but need to cut off the hammer loop. I’ll get pictures later.

Those tools are my first line of defense. Get in, diagnose, make a trip outside for whatever else I need. Like GB940Rookie GB940Rookie said it is amazing how much gets done with just those tools.

Last edited:
I carry a gerber multitool, more often it is only used as needle nose pliers. My "real" tools are a channellock 424, a small 4 inch old US made craftsman adjustable wrench, and a klein 11 in one.

Those are my just make due if I can tools. If I can't I go get what will work.

Those are my just make due if I can tools. If I can't I go get what will work.

I worked in a garage many years ago, long before the "EDC" movement. My dad carried a small pair of Snap-On pliers but I never figured out that they would be useful for me. These came in their ignition tool sets so probably would be good for the smaller nuts on automotive coils and things like that. Working in that job today I would probably carry a multitool, but it might turn out that I would need real tools. A screwdriver and knife turned out to be most useful. Small pliers might have helped but I suspect I would have needed larger ones but a small adjustable wrench might have been useful. Today just working around my house a knife and flashlight are easy to carry, with a screwdriver I could handle most things and the garage is close by if I need serious tools.

In my college years I carried a 4" adjustable wrench (Proto). Main transportation was a bicycle, so it was very handy to make minor adjustments when out and about.

Currently, I carry a swish tech screws all on my key ring. I also have a couple of small rare earth magnets attached to it. Not sure why I carrying the magnets, but they do come in handy once in a while. I helped a lady retrieve her car keys that she dropped in a parking lot drain.

I worked in a garage many years ago, long before the "EDC" movement. My dad carried a small pair of Snap-On pliers but I never figured out that they would be useful for me. These came in their ignition tool sets so probably would be good for the smaller nuts on automotive coils and things like that. Working in that job today I would probably carry a multitool, but it might turn out that I would need real tools. A screwdriver and knife turned out to be most useful. Small pliers might have helped but I suspect I would have needed larger ones but a small adjustable wrench might have been useful. Today just working around my house a knife and flashlight are easy to carry, with a screwdriver I could handle most things and the garage is close by if I need serious tools.

Before I was disabled I worked construction, maintenance, and finally got my electrical license. The first couple of weeks doing it you are young and dumb with a good back, carry a tool chest worth of tools on a tool belt. After that you take note of what the older guys carry and what they leave on the cart. Don't take long to figure out a trip to the cart every now and then aint worth a bad back.

I manage a couple properties in the area (residential). I can usually get by with a LM Juice for little odds and ends. However, the most work they've seen involved pulling carpet staples out of wood, driving woodscrews into window panes, and holding a nut while fixing a cyclone fence. I keep a small toolbag (about the size of a Monster Energy drink) in my briefcase with small but handy tools, including a box cutter, ratcheting screwdriver, adjustable wrench, etc.

It seems the 4" adjustable is very underappreciated these days.
I currently only have two as I gave my others away, but I always have the one on me so I don't really need the other truth be told.
However the other is in my general purpose 1/4 box and when I've got that box out It's easier to have one right there than have to stand up and retrieve the other from my pocket organizer.

Last edited:
e1286be231f1a9f07e8bb961f1616778.jpg

My only hand tools that I carry is my regular SAK (Small Tinker) and the Leatherman Squirt. I do have hand tools very handy however both inside my house and in my vehicles. I don't use anything other than what I mentioned with any regularity. Should I need them I have small pliers available on my desk that can easily go into my pocket.

The only small hand tool I really carry is one of those small prybars you can wear on your keychain. Unless you count a flashlight that isn't a smartphone application.

Back