Small Inkosi just won't flip

Before buying my first CRK I was actually considering a ZT flipper. I know CRKs are not designed to be flipped, yet every You Tube review has the user flipping open a CRK. I now have the Umnumzaan and Small Inkosi (and still no actual 'flipper'). I have learned to flip the Umnumzaan with no problem, but after several months and likely 1K openings I've not been able to flip open my Small Inkosi. The issue is the lock bar applies a lot of pressure on the blade. If I have the blade open and pull the lock bar open the blade will fall with just the slightest of wiggle.

I actually love the small Inkosi as my EDC... it gets all the pocket time. But after 1K of openings and several cleanings and re-greasings should I ever expect my Inkosi to be flickable? I can open it easy and smooth enough with one hand, just no flick. At this point I'm kind of assuming this knife will never be flickable.

Not much help here except to say the blade on my small Inkoski (which also sees a lot of carry time) falls the same as yours.
I never found a reason to flip my CRK's as I'm more than satisfied with the "normal" method of opening.
OG

I think you’re doing it wrong. I wouldn’t buy a CRK for “flickability”

Reactions: Mo2
Before buying my first CRK I was actually considering a ZT flipper. I know CRKs are not designed to be flipped, yet every You Tube review has the user flipping open a CRK. I now have the Umnumzaan and Small Inkosi (and still no actual 'flipper'). I have learned to flip the Umnumzaan with no problem, but after several months and likely 1K openings I've not been able to flip open my Small Inkosi. The issue is the lock bar applies a lot of pressure on the blade. If I have the blade open and pull the lock bar open the blade will fall with just the slightest of wiggle.

I actually love the small Inkosi as my EDC... it gets all the pocket time. But after 1K of openings and several cleanings and re-greasings should I ever expect my Inkosi to be flickable? I can open it easy and smooth enough with one hand, just no flick. At this point I'm kind of assuming this knife will never be flickable.

Inkosi has that large detent/lockface ceramic ball bearing which is not condusive to flipping. Some flip ok (particularly large ones due to heavier blades) but that large ceramic detent tends to give a kind of detent action not great for flipping. The best detents for flipping hold the blade shut while you build up force on the thumbstud (or flipper) then suddenly have a quick hard release where all the force built up shoots the blade forward.

Now I will add that grease is probably not the best lube for flipping. Try switching to an oil and you might have better luck.

Have you loosened the pivot to the point of it being only hand tight and if you don't apply Loctite you may lose the pivot screw ? Are you getting your thumb nail on the thumb stud and using an up and out method ?
I can flip my large Inkosi without any issues, but I don't practice that method. I wanted to see just how smoother it is compared to the 25. Never tried to flick the Umnumzaan or 21.

Have you loosened the pivot to the point of it being only hand tight and if you don't apply Loctite you may lose the pivot screw ? Are you getting your thumb nail on the thumb stud and using an up and out method ?
I can flip my large Inkosi without any issues, but I don't practice that method. I wanted to see just how smoother it is compared to the 25. Never tried to flick the Umnumzaan or 21.

Yes, the only things that happens as I loosen too much is the blade gets off-center but the blade lock continues to exert substantial pressure against the blade tang. Now with my Umnumzaan I have the pivot set perfectly that even though I flick it open, it quietly has a soft landing every time. I think the size/mass of the blade really facilitates flicking it open, not to mention stud placement. It is just such a substantial knife I don't find it ideal for an EDC.

I mainly wanted to confirm it is not just me that cannot flick open a Small Inkosi (i.e. a potential mechanical or technique issue). I'm fine that it does not actually flick open. It really is a small mighty knife... totally rock solid. I'm not sure this knife could ever get worn out. The chunky insingo blade can eviscerate even the thickest and sturdiest of multi-layer cardboard.

I don't normally flick my CRKs, but I have tried to flick each one at least a couple of times to see if I can do it. I've never been able to flick my small Inkosi, even though it is one of the smoothest ones I own.

Flip or flick? Big difference.

Some crk's can be flicked open. Not all. Or may require tuning in order to do so.

My large sebenza 21 cf will flick open when done correctly. Else it won't flick at all. Has to be done a specific way.

I can flick both larges and smalls although I really don't choose to do so often. Some of mine flick easier than others. I think the issue is the knife isn't designed to flick and thus requires a mix of good technique, nice break in, the right pivot tension, etc. to overcome the fact it's not designed to do it. The larges do flick easier than smalls. I have to use my nail on smalls whereas I use the meat of my thumb on larges. Consider flicking a bonus. If you can do it great, if you can't there isn't anything wrong. If you NEED to flick and you can't then I would suggest a different knife.

I don't mean any offense by this but it seems like a dexterity/hand strength issue.

I think you’re doing it wrong. I wouldn’t buy a CRK for “flickability”

I've actually grown to like knives that don't flick easily. That's one of the reasons I love a CRK. The action is perfect.

You gotta be able to build up the pressure needed even if detent doesn't do it and then proppell the thumbstud in the direction it ends up in when the knife is in the open position. Draw this imaginary line from where thumbstud is closed and where it is when knige is open and put force in this same direction. It will help you with the first part of loading up for it also. Just gotta find a sweet spot now. Add a small wrist rotation and it will whip the blade into place.

Back