Small Inkosi vs. Small 21

Hackenslash

Don't feed the Trolls
Gold Member
Hi folks,

I'd like some feedback comparing a couple of CRKs. I'm looking for what will be my 5th CRK and I plan to get it around the Holidays (this will actually be my Xmas gift, but I need to know what to tell my wife to get me :p).

I already have:

1. Small 21 Drop CF
2. Small 21 Drop Snakewood Inlay
3. Wilson Combat Umnamzaan (love that handle milling), New Pivot
4. Mnandi w/ Ladder Damascus/Bocote

I really love the small 21's but am leaning toward a small Inkosi with Micarta. Here are some of my concerns:

1. I tend to like 3" blades but am concerned the Inkosi will feel smaller than the 21, both in terms of blade reach and grip. Does the Inkosi clearly feel smaller than the small 21?

2. My favorite of the above is the Small CF 21. Will the shorter, full Ti Inkosi feel heavy and clunky in my hand compared to the CF? Does anyone have both?

3. I'm leaning toward the natural micarta. For those of you with CRK micarta, and specifically natural micarta experience, how much will the natural micarta darken with use? Will it end up looking like the black?

4. Does Micarta provide noticeably more grip than a wood inlay? My snakewood inlays feel very slick and only seem to aid grip by "rounding" out the handle when in hand.

5. How does the Inkosi deploy? Is it like the 21 with a normal thumbstud sweep, or is it more like the Zaan with a push parallel to the line of the handle? I struggle with the Zaan because the depoyment doesn't seem second nature to me.

6. How do the finger choils on the Inkosi handle feel compared to the relatively straight grip of the 21? Any issues with a forced finger placement? I have medium sized hands if that makes a difference.

7. Is there any difference between the two in terms of lock accessibility?

8. Has anyone had issues with the huge washers in the Inkosi attracting lint and gunk? It sure looks like a lint trap to me...

Any other thoughts or contrasts would be appreciated. The only large CRK I've ever used is the Zaan. Should I be looking at a large Inkosi? I'm open to suggestions along that line also.

Thanks in advance and Daham, I love these knives!

Back