Small Inkosi vs Small Sebenza, your prefernce

Inkosi is my absolute favorite!! I have had all kinds of CRK knives over the years; from Umfaan's to Unumzaan's, and almost everything in between. The Inkosi is the BEST knife CRK has ever made.

After 2 years with my small inkosi, I think I will sold my smal sebenza.
Since I have my inkosi, I have carry twice my small sebenza.... it doesn't make sense for me to keep it.

A choice I couldn’t make.
I usually have both on me.

i.ashx

Glad I found this thread. I've wanted to get a small CR with an Insingo blade, and have been debating between either a small Inkosi or small Sebenza 21, and I'd get one with black micarta inlays. I realize that the Inkosi should be considered a more advanced knife, but the small Sebenza is just more comfortable in my hand. Surprising given the small differences in size, but I feel I can get a fuller grip on the Sebenza, and it definitely fits my hand better. Maybe the scale shape didn't translate well when it was sized down to the small Inkosi. No matter - both are great knives, but I'm going with a small Sebenza for my next CR.

I'm not sure I'm glad I found this thread. I got an Umnumzaan Tanto recently, my first CRK, and I find it absolutely amazing. Ever since, I've been considering getting a smaller CRK to compliment it. After hours of You Tube review watching I'm surprised that the overall vibe I get about the smaller CRK knives is a bit muted. Lots of 'almost great...but..." type commentary. I'm drawn to the Inkosi technology but there are so many reviews that the grip is just a bit off in it's shrunk size vs. The Large. The Mnandi is just a bit too dainty for me. The 21 give me a dated impression. I definitely would choose a Micarta... I just wonder if in the $500 ballpark there are other small knives I should be considering? This thread seems to be inconclusive... In all my researching I have come across oodles of knife owners that have sold their small CRKs... just not nearly as glowing reviews as I get from the larger CRK's Maybe I buy used to mitigate risk?

I'm not sure I'm glad I found this thread. I got an Umnumzaan Tanto recently, my first CRK, and I find it absolutely amazing. Ever since, I've been considering getting a smaller CRK to compliment it. After hours of You Tube review watching I'm surprised that the overall vibe I get about the smaller CRK knives is a bit muted. Lots of 'almost great...but..." type commentary. I'm drawn to the Inkosi technology but there are so many reviews that the grip is just a bit off in it's shrunk size vs. The Large. The Mnandi is just a bit too dainty for me. The 21 give me a dated impression. I definitely would choose a Micarta... I just wonder if in the $500 ballpark there are other small knives I should be considering? This thread seems to be inconclusive... In all my researching I have come across oodles of knife owners that have sold their small CRKs... just not nearly as glowing reviews as I get from the larger CRK's Maybe I buy used to mitigate risk?

I'd look for a used CRK in good condition if you want to try a smaller one. Like many things guys love (audio equipment, high-end road bikes, mechanical watches...), there's a flourishing 2nd-hand market in lightly used items.

I'm sure that the large CRKs are wonderful, but a folder with a 3.5"+ blade is not and EDC for me, and a large Sebenza is not going to get enough use to justify the price. I have cheaper (but still great) knifes for when I want to carry a larger folder. So I stick to the smaller CRK's. I really like my Inkosi, but the grip on the small Sebenza is just much nicer, so if I get an Insingo-bladed model, it will be the small Sebenza.

Reactions: 353
Any photos of a small sebenza with a inkozi?
I would like to see the difference in size.

I greatly prefer the small 21. This is because even though the small Inkosi handle is only a tiny bit shorter in length vs the small 21, this tiny difference makes a world of difference to how the knife feels in my hand. The small 21 is just exactly long enough that I can get a 4 finger grip on it wheras the small Inkosi is just slightly too short.

My biggest thing I prefer on the small Inkosi though is that it comes stock with twin thumbstuds; something I would really like to see on the 21 is dual thumbstuds becoming stock.

21 just looks a lot better, to me at least. Just cleaner more classic design, and with a longer and more slicier blade it's a nobrainer if you ask me.

IMO the 21 feels more comfortable in my palm may it be a large or small version.To others, its the opposite. Evryone is different, therefore its best for TS to tryout both verions in the hands before deciding. Nonetheless, both are exceptional design from the CRK stables. However my choice goes to the sebenza for its simpler design, single tool hardware and pivot bushing design.

Definitely prefer the Small Sebenza. The Inkosi was just a little small for my liking. I can easily thumb flip the Small Sebenza but never could get the feel for the Inkosi.

Aside from the obvious difference in design, I think it really comes down to which is more comfortable for a given person and their hands.

I EDC a large 21. So anything smaller and I want a Mnandi !

Between the two. Its a toss up.

I have both a small 21 Insingo and a small drop point Inkosi. I definitely like the small Inkosi over the small 21. Even though it's a bit smaller than the small 21, it feels better in my medium-sized hands. It seems to just 'lock in' better when I grip it. The action on my Inkosi is also much smoother. And it cuts like a laser!

I also noticed that the drop point Inkosi actually has a longer cutting edge length than my Spyderco Delica 4 and Native 5, both of which are larger, with slightly longer blades.

I own 5 CRKs, and my favorite is between the large 21 Insingo and the small Inkosi. But the small Inkosi might just get the nod for being my favorite CRK.

Jim

Well with everyones help I am on the hunt for a gently used Inkosi preferably with a carbon fiber scale and a Insingo blade.
Thank you all for your help.

Back in September I wrote this post below... but soon after did pull the trigger on a small Inkosi Insingo Micarta. This knife quickly became my EDC... nice and small but amazingly rugged. I absolutely love it. I did buy a large Sebenza afterwards, but the small Inkosi remains my EDC due to its size. It is solid, smooth and super functional. Good luck with your quest.

Back