Recommendation? Small Sebenza 21 CF inlays vs CF scale vs Micarta

I am planning on buying my first ever chris reeve knife and I have narrowed it down to it being a small sebenza but having trouble deciding on which modification to have it. I really like the cf inlays but I read/heard that the blade centering is off sometimes and along with the scale, it can't really be brought back to original when sent into knife spa once it obtains snail trails and marks on it. Micarta seems from what I read to have not have any potential drawbacks but I really like the look of carbon fiber more than micarta. With that being said, which one should I go for?

What you read about blade centering was CF scale not CF inlays. CF inlays can't be re-blasted, micarta can
This is just one guys opinion, but I never got the appeal of CF inlays-though many like them. I do like CF scales for their lightness and I am a huge fan of the micarta inlays-best Sebenza configuration as a user IMO

Last edited:
..... I am a huge fan of the micarta inlays-best Sebenza configuration as a user IMO
I’m another underinformed CRK newbie, studying up for that daunting first purchase hurdle and probably other following purchases. Why do you find micarta inlays to be the best Sebenza user configuration?

I’m another underinformed CRK newbie, studying up for that daunting first purchase hurdle and probably other following purchases. Why do you find micarta inlays to be the best Sebenza user configuration?

The micarta scales help fill the hand. They add grip dry and get grippier wet, are the most durable(practically indestructible) of the inlays, and as has been earlier noted the scales can be re-blasted to bring the knife back to new. The inlay also helps protect the ti, but with enough use the ti will still show wear, though not as obvious as on plain ti.
The plain Ti scale model is also a good user and has a slightly thinner profile, Shows wear easily, but is re-blastable, and all the others can be users, but aren't as wear resistant or bullet proof durable, but still fine knives.
No bad models

The micarta scales help fill the hand. They add grip dry and get grippier wet, are the most durable(practically indestructible) of the inlays, and as has been earlier noted the scales can be re-blasted to bring the knife back to new. The inlay also helps protect the ti, but with enough use the ti will still show wear, though not as obvious as on plain ti. The plain Ti scale model is also a good user and has a slightly thinner profile, Shows wear easily, but is re-blastable, and all the others can be users, but aren't as wear resistant or bullet proof durable, but still fine knives. No bad models
Many thanks for these insights. You’ve just re-directed and re-focused one of my perceptions of Sebenza scales and brought me one step closer to buying one with micarta scales. You should be on the CRK sales dept payroll.

I may be thick headed, but never liked the idea of dis-similar scales on a folder.... Weight is not an issue to me, and Titanium seems a lot more stable and durable than carbon fiber, though I'm sure a torture test could prove me wrong? Micarta inlays are really nice, and Plains are about equally appealing to me. Handle them all , you can't go wrong, and if you do , there's always the marketplace!

I have a small 21 insingo with micarta scales. very good EDC.
The micarta had some grip to the handle.

After getting a small PJ inkosi and a large CF scales inkosi, I have started to get use to the slim profile of the no-inlay CRK and I am considering getting a small 21 insingo with the CF scale.
As I mainly use my smal 21 for small urban EDC tasks the Cf scales can had a "classy" touch to it.

But don't mind too much, any version will be great.

consideration on grips differences too:
- PJ is the one to go if you are not sure what to get. It show wears but it really add some patina to your knife. I like the way my smal CRK decomes unique to me as I use them.
- Micarta add some strength to your grip as it gives some texture and volume to the handle. It change color as you use it, getting darker. I have black and red linen micarta and both look good after they get a darker tone.
- CF scales, make the knife really lighter. very good material. I never had any issue with it but for some reason I have the feeling it is better on an EDC or "urban EDC" than on a "wood heavy beater". thatis the reason why I would prefer to have it on a small size rather than on a full size CRK.... but it still looks gourgerous on a full size knife :)

K Kuratar , have you looked at the Wilson Combat Sebenza’s?

As mentioned earlier, micarta is the only inlay CRK will re finish. I’ve got one CF inlay, it is a gorgeous looking knife, I can understand why you are drawn to it. However, I would not recommend it for a first CRK. You’d be inclined to baby it and try not to get that first scratch on it. Then you’ll feel bad for not using it and wind up selling it. BTW, I’ve got several CRK’s, so it doesn’t bother me that my CF inlay doesn’t get used.
Now, you’ll use the hell out of a micarta inlay or a Wilson Combat CRK. Save the CF inlay for a future purchase, because if you like the first one, chances are you’ll get another one or two, or six. That’s how @Lone_Wolfe started out ;)

Last edited:
K Kuratar , have you looked at the Wilson Combat Sebenza’s?

As mentioned earlier, micarta is the only inlay CRK will re finish. I’ve got one CF inlay, it is a gorgeous looking knife, I can understand why you are drawn to it. However, I would not recommend it for a first CRK. You’d be inclined to baby it and try not to get that first scratch on it. Then you’ll feel bad for not using it and wind up selling it. BTW, I’ve got several CRK’s, so it doesn’t bother me that my CF inlay doesn’t get used.
Now, you’ll use the hell out of a micarta inlay or a Wilson Combat CRK. Save the CF inlay for a future purchase, because if you like the first one, chances are you’ll get another one or two, or six. That’s how @Lone_Wolfe started out ;)
Yeah I have looked at the Wilson combat but I am generally drawn to CF or inlays on the sebenza. The CF inlay seems the best of both worlds but as you said, it’s highly likely I’ll just baby the heck out of it. I will typically use the sebenza for EDC so I thought it would be fine. The CF scale I find it may be too lightweight since I do like knives with a bit of weight on them but I feel it would be great on the large. From what you recommended though, I am getting drawn to the micarta inlays and Wilson Combat more now. Knife purchase is very tempting but I think I will only purchase one sebenza since it’s such a big purchase for me.

My first and so far only CRK is a small Sebenza 21 with Micarta Inlays.
I went with Micarta Inlays because they look good and I read that they add grip.
After receiving my Sebenza and using it, I see they have a lot of benefits for me.

I get sweaty hands, for that reason I’m generally not a fan of full titanium scales.
The micarta adds grip when dry, but gets even grippier when wet. I absolutely love this about the Micarta Inlays.
Another great thing about it is that in the pocket (with my phone) the Micarta Inlays are a lot softer against my phone than plain titanium would be. It’s more comfortable and quieter in my pocket thanks to the micarta.

Plus I really like how it darkens with use and the oils from my hand. Whenever I want a change in look, I just grab a baby wipe and wipe down the micarta. Looks good as new when it dries.
I reckon the CF inlayed Sebenza is gorgeous. But the micarta suits me better in terms of usability and practicality.
Knowing the micarta can be re-blasted is a bonus if you live in the U.S. unfortunately I don’t.

Back