Small Sebenza = Better than Custom!!

FK

Gold Member
I purchased a Small Sebenza Wood Inlay this weekend....cannot believe the quality of workmanship. Still cannot believe I invested that amount of $ in a everyday carry knife.

Two years ago I gave up on big name custom folders. First expensive knife was impulsive purchase due to famous name in the magazines, etc. Very hard to find this maker's new knife for sale, 4-5 year waiting time. Nice workmanship however, the blade rubbed on liner unless the pivot pin was over tightened, the washers were just too thin for design.

Next was trade back no.1 to original dealer (no loss in $ = great guy) for famous maker no.2, again loved the design and blade shape, however the lockup was so poor the liner sliped with very slight pressure on the blade back. Meanwhile another folder was on order with maker no.2, I discussed options on telephone several times and when the knife arrived...he ignored me and made his own preferred version after agreeing with my options. I refused the knife and felt obligated to purchase different knife by maker no.2 from dealer who had special ordered for me. This latest knife was very hard to unlock when closing. Gave up on all of them and sold off at knife show two years ago. Vowed never again, I will stay with under $100 factory knives.

This weekend I spotted the Sebenza Wood Inlay and had to examine it. Wow..cannot rub blade on liner, even with strong side pressure. I never like the "stud" for opening until the CRK design was discovered. The post has ridges that actually stick to your thumb and make opening sooo easy and smooth. Lock up is bank vault solid and does not stick when releasing for closing. The wood is Madrone Burl and is exactly what I was looking for in carry knife, tired of Black G-10, Black Micarta, Black Carbon Fiber, Black Zytel, Grey Titanium.

I have read discussions on custom vs. hand made in shop with CNC machinery. IMHO this is by far the finest folding knife made for fit, function and strong design.

Now to For Sale posting, sell off some excess inventory and special order the large Sebenza "Fly" decorated model.

Regards and thanks for the great forum.

Fred

Lucky Man! I wish I had a wood inlay also, someday, I'll have to save up for one. The small is just about the perfect size!

Enjoy and have fun collecting!
G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

welcome to the forums!!! VIVA SEBENZANISTAS!!

------------------
russ aka bladezealot. a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

I assume you purchased a '99 model. Anyone received their 2000 yet?

------------------
It's only a mistake if you fail to learn from it!

FK, congratulations. You found out what many of us took much longer to discover. Yep, the Sebenza really is "all that and a bag of chips".

Welcome to the Clan.
smile.gif

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Sweet!! My small madrone inlay is also perfect. The best folder I have owned. Never going back. Sebenzas are the only folder I'll ever buy.
wink.gif

Blademan 13, Yes the knife is dated 1999. My dealer is Greg at Skylands, he bought the small Sebenza from Chris on March 10, 2000 at the New York City Knife Show. On Sunday March 12, 2000 I visited the Springfield, MA, Gun & Knife Show just to say hello and visit with Greg and perhaps find a new Spyderco or something interesting in new factory folders.

The knife was "born" on February 14, 2000 (easy date to remember!!). I thought this was the last of the 1999 issue wood inlay Sebenza series.

Perhaps a collection of consecutive years with wood inlays?

Does anyone know if the Umfan will be offered with wood inlay for 2000 issue?

Regards,
Fred

Back