Smallest SAK with a magnifying glass?

What is the smallest SAK with a magnifying glass? I've got some steel redundancy in my pockets and want to make sure I always have a magnifying glass and toothpick (I know, simple desires). I have the SwissChamp, which is awesome, but I find that my Leatherman has the stronger tools I need on a daily basis and carrying both is some extra heft.

I'm looking for something pocketable so I can carry the Leatherman Charge and associated tools in a holster.

Perhaps Explorer? Or maybe I just take my Classic and a separate magnifying glass...

I went down this hole a while back. I went with the "Scientist". Long discontinued but you can find people who build them into that configuration still. Mine came from the Ukraine IIRC and I like it a lot. Built from used parts and customs was slow, but otherwise (for a user) it has been great for me. Also, got upgraded slabs on it with the pen, tweezers, and toothpick.

Looking at Sakwiki. It looks like the smallest in current production is the 4 layer explorer. There were two two layer models, the engineer, and the scientist. Both discontinued and listed as rare. Also two discontinued three layer models the mechanic and yeoman. The 5 layer evolution 23 seems to be the smallest of the 85 mm Delemont made knives, with a magnifier.

O.B.

The Explorer is my default SAK for EDC, and I think it's also my new favorite SAK model. Compared to the SwissChamp, the Explorer is far more pocketable, and has a great combination of tools. I'm an engineer and I carry the Explorer specifically because I find the magnifying glass quite useful for reading small print on engineering drawings and diagrams.

I'm looking hard at the Explorer. It's a tough call because I have the Huntsman, and I also have the Classic. Classic covers me on the tooth pick.

I'm trying to make a smart decision because I have so many knives. It's been a few years since I purchased a SAK because I've purchased wisely in the past. 😂 I thought I was done after the Swiss Champ, and truthfully, as I carry other multitools and blades, I don't "need" another SAK. But you know the drill. They are a wonderful addiction.

I ordered a pocket magnifier, which is probably the smart call. Coupled with the Classic, I'm covered on the essentials, while the Leatherman and Spyderco get the rest of the heavier duties.

But what's another $40 bucks for a great SAK... 🤣

A pocket magnifier will probably be more effective in the long run. In all honesty, the Victorinox magnifying glass is quite a compromise with its narrow field of view. It's definitely handy for examining bugs in the garden or reading the proverbial fine print on a medicine bottle, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for extended use.

Still....you know you need an Explorer.....😉🔍💸

A pocket magnifier will probably be more effective in the long run. In all honesty, the Victorinox magnifying glass is quite a compromise with its narrow field of view. It's definitely handy for examining bugs in the garden or reading the proverbial fine print on a medicine bottle, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for extended use.

Still....you know you need an Explorer.....😉🔍💸
100% true. If only I was logical...

very unfortunate that vic scientist is a little hard to come by...​

tried to luv the swiss card but settled for the toollogic creditcard companion instead, mainly for a managable blade size. and yes the magnifier for intensifying passing photons to work their magic.​

Magnetic navigation Baseplate Compass serrated knives,bottle openers,magnifying glass,tweezeers Waterproof Camping Emergency for Hiking Camping Night Fishing -- You can find more details by visiting the image link. (This is an affiliate link) Bottle Openers, Hiking Equipment, Magnifying Glass, Hand Tools, Compass, Knives, Image Link, Fishing, Camping

imho, just toss in the tweezer magnifier
and you're set

where could a guy go to get one made?

asking for a friend. that copper one is SUPER
Check with Spikediesel Spikediesel here on the forum. He is certainly accomplished enough. I broke my wrist last week, so it will be a while before I do any more modding.

The copper scales are from SwissBianco, the rest is parts from a couple of donors and some spare time.

... I broke my wrist last week, so it will be a while before I do any more modding...
Ouch! Sorry to hear this, heal quickly and completely.

The thinnest SAK I have, that includes a magnifying glass, is this (three layer) Explorer from which I removed the opener layer. The glass gets a moderate amount of use looking at tang stamps and the occasional coin date.
jcTYRGh.jpg

The magnifying glass makes an excellent loupe (keep it close to your eye). Might look silly though! 😁

Last edited:
Yep the swiss card is the smallest Victorinox model with a magnifying glass, I don't consider it a " swiss army knife " myself, but most people would as they do all Victorinox models.
Well the blade lengths are quite similar.image.jpeg

Back