Smilodon, for the reverse grip lover

For those who like reverse grip knives. Here is a quick look at my updated Smilodon. This knife has a quiet but steadily growing group of users. I have received a couple of reports on it actually being used in self defense. Both cases, Smilodon made one bite to an arm and it was over. Bad guy goes for stitches and a chat with the police, the good guy goes home, with the Smilodon. So far, no reports of any legal issues for the good guys.

DSCN0930.jpg

That looks very effective. Both grinds sharpened?

Actually, this one hasn't been sharpened as of yet. I do this with either a double or single grind depending on what the customer wants. The trend seems to be going to single edge right now. I am noodling an idea for a single edge with blade in the 2.5" range. This should fit into the majority of laws restricting size and number of edges.

A folding version is very possible. There will be need to be some compromise to make it work. I am thinking through what the compromises will be. If I can get that done in the near future, this might be custom folder number 2. Proto maybe for SHOT. OH custom folder #1 is in the works and shooting for a proto by Blade. That is another topic.

Glad you guys like it!

Very cool. Love P'kal style blades. Folder with a wave feature would be awesome.

That is quite vicious. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks!

I am planning on having 2-3 or Blade. They will be in S35V

Does anyone have an opinion on serrations on either or both edges? I was thinking on maybe the outside edge.

I love my previous generation Smilodon. It's nice to see a great design evolving to become even better.

Personally I favour a little length (3.5 to 4.5), love the double edges and think serrations on the inner edge (like with a Spyderco Civillian) would be a great addition.

man that is sick, it really goes back to the very effective design of a the claws of Raptors. They hook and pierce and thats all they are needed to do. (they do it very effectively too :D Awesome knife!

I love my previous generation Smilodon. It's nice to see a great design evolving to become even better.

Personally I favour a little length (3.5 to 4.5), love the double edges and think serrations on the inner edge (like with a Spyderco Civillian) would be a great addition.

Where on the inner edge would you place the serrations, toward the tip further in or along the entire edge?

I have done a couple close to 4" long. Most of the requests have been for 3" blades. I might have to make up a couple longer blades.

wolf5391 - Thanks!

Where on the inner edge would you place the serrations, toward the tip further in or along the entire edge?

I have done a couple close to 4" long. Most of the requests have been for 3" blades. I might have to make up a couple longer blades.

wolf5391 - Thanks!

I'm not completely sure. In theory serrations would help cut through clothing and would rip flesh. The worry would be they'd catch on something.

I think the best way to determine the optimal configuration would be cutting tests on meat with and without clothing wrapped around it. Try a serrated edge and one without.

Serrations cut at an angle to the thrust. The curve of the Smilodon blade matches the arc of the arm/hand attacking its target. Smilodon should work by pushing that narrow tip directly in where the serrations hardly matter.

Serrations cut at an angle to the thrust. The curve of the Smilodon blade matches the arc of the arm/hand attacking its target. Smilodon should work by pushing that narrow tip directly in where the serrations hardly matter.

True for the stabbing motion, but then there's the pulling down motion that can follow. For that serrations might be of use.

Last edited:

Thia was my thinking for putting the serrations on the outer edge. The outer edge would make contact as the hand is extended for a "punch" and the blade making a slashing cut.

On the inner edge, instead of the more standard type serrations, maybe 2-3 larger teeth that would give more "bite" in a trap. The ppossible down side, they might snag when the blade is withdrawn from a thrust.

It could be a good idea. I've had people who have had to use knives tell me that slashes often don't immediately register with an attacker but the ripping that serrations make should.

Back