1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Smock vs. Ikuchi

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Danke42, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I never do this but; Smock vs. Ikuchi.

Fight, fight fight!

2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The Ikuchi looks pretty stabby and appears that it would slice better. The Smock looks more robust, but has that choil that would seem to catch onto everything you are cutting. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Ikuchi.

3. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Ikuchi!

4. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Ikuchi.

5. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    I don't have either but I would pick the Ikuchi.

6. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I've got the both. Just got the Ikuchi today.

Which is "better" functionally largely depends on the intended use but, if it's just a matter of which I "like" more, I can already say that I like the Ikuchi more than the Smock.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Lapedog and Boxer .45 like this.
  7. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Ikuchi.

I like function AND form. The world has a plethora of examples demonstrating you can have both in a folding knife. The Smock, no matter how good it may be, is just too ugly for me to even look at.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  8. Knifeaddict556

Knifeaddict556

Nov 19, 2017
    I only have the ikuchi, but it is pretty sweet

9. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Choil on the Smock is just awful. Messed what would have been awesome knife.

Lapedog, AF and sgt1372 like this.
  10. sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    This was my one major complaint about the Smock from the start.

Looks nothing like the choil on the SK23 upon which it was based. The vertical front edge of the choil narrows the radius of the choil, which makes it difficult to use comfortably and represents an unnecessary "cut" risk. It's still a nice knife but it would have been better if the choil was better.

cchu518 likes this.
  11. brj

brj

May 18, 2005
    Ikuchi

12. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Ikuchi! I have no interest in the Smock.

13. MaxFactor

MaxFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2012
    What if I told you that neither one appeals to me. Para 3 for life.

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  14. tommylion

tommylion Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I was a little tempted to try a Smock, but not any more, now that I have my Ikuchi. It's probably a good thing the Smock was released first. I really can't see the Ikuchi having a positive impact on Smock sales ;)

15. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    I also have neither one but I'm thinking I need the Ikuchi. I have a sliverax and love it so I'm all for another Paul Alexander design.

16. foofie

foofie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2011
    yes:D
    They are both wonders of design. They share some superficial similarities (Taichung, CF/g10, s30v, compression-ish lock). But feel in hand, while both good, is very different. Use will likely be different too, but kind of early still on that front.

I got the Smock first, and knew it was a keeper. I got the Ikuchi, and like it a bit more:oops:. Would I get the Smock if I had received the Ikuchi first...absolutely.
    And - Where are the pics??!!
    Threw a Para3 in there, for @MaxFactor. My Para3's aren't jealous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dadpool, dropback and mdrgn79 like this.
  17. Gene K

Gene K

Aug 21, 2008
    I'm intrigued by the blade shape on the Smock. Modified Sheepsfoot I guess would be a good description. I could have done without the choil though.

K.O.D. likes this.
  18. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I’d get the one made in Golden. So I reckon that’ll be a Para 3LW or more likely a Waterway. ...if not another Native 5!

19. sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    The choil is needed to clear the compression lock release button.

It would have been better just to uniformly radius the choil so that it looks better and is larger so that people w/big index fingers don't have a problem using it. The only reason I can see for NOT doing that is that it would have significantly reduced the length of the blade edge, which they probably wanted to keep at 3 inches. Otherwise, it would have required lengthening and/or widening the blade and handle which wasn't an acceptable alternative either.

So, like it or not, it is what it is.

Anewleaf likes this.
  20. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I like both the blade shapes. I at least in theory like both locks. I do like that wire clip though a lot more.

We had the Smock in Canada but it sold out pre sale. Haven't seen the Ikuchi yet pop up. For that one I think I'd just buy in country; not sure how the folks in customs would react to a flick the bic flipper blade.