Smokepole Ranger Friction Liner Lock Knife. Finished

As this is a first attempt the maker has offered it to me at what's best described as a very fair price which I cannot divulge. He plans to produce more for sale with alternative lock types and scale materials if there is sufficient interest...

Sam

Pic's of the knife pretty much finished. Really pleased with the result.

IMG-20120622-00349.jpg

IMG-20120622-00339.jpg

IMG-20120622-00343.jpg

IMG-20120622-00351.jpg

IMG-20120622-00350.jpg

Sam

Drop us a line if you'd like info on the maker and his knives. He's getting membership on here sorted at the moment so you'll be seeing more of his work I'm sure:)

Sam

Very nice folder, I have a similar one ( ff/extended tang and liner lock )made by a Japanese blacksmith, carbon blade but ss liners .Your brass liners look good.

Very nice folder, I have a similar one ( ff/extended tang and liner lock )made by a Japanese blacksmith, carbon blade but ss liners .Your brass liners look good.

Ooh, be interested to see some pic's. How have you found it?

Sam

Awesome looking blade. Definitely interested to know what the price tag might be if he made others. Looks like a beast of a folder that'll handle it all.

Good stuff!

I'll post a review of this knife when it arrives and update when I've been using it for a while:)

Sam

Really nice looking folder. I especially like the brass liners. I'd be interested in seeing more of his offerings myself.

came out really nice
I like the friction-linerlock combo actually, interesting geometry too

Hi Everyone,

I think it is OK for me to respond in person now, seeing as I have registered as a Knife Maker here on Bladeforums.

First of all, thank you for the kind comments and interest in this knife and the design - even though he is very modest, a large part of the credit must go to Sam (avoidspam). I am glad he likes the way the knife has come out - it has been a pleasure doing a commission for him. The knife should be with him shortly and I can only trust it will live up to expectations.

Then, onto some comments and questions. Someone made the comment about "Smokepole Ranger" not having a nice/good ring to it, and Sam explained how it originated. I shoot muzzle loaders, a lot, so that is where the username comes from, but I might well change it in due course, to be more in line with the knives I make.

Redbusa06, essentially you are correct, but I prefer making the bend only after I have milled the indents in the lock part of the liner/frame. I like to bend it kind of all over, with the emphasis on the milled area, and it would depend on whether you will use a detent ball or not - if you do, you have to taper the lock part also, or mill a slot for it in the liner - in both cases on liner locks where there is a scale present too. On frame locks you don't have to taper the lock part of the frame to allow space for the ball, but some do in any case so that it doesn't stand proud of the rest of the frame when the knife is closed.

Nightshifter, Mad_Maxx, thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate. Nightshifter, I will be posting up a bit of my work shortly, I'll PM you a link when it is done.

I just realized that knife also reminds me of a Case Russlock, which if I'm not mistaken is basically a friction folder with a linerlock.

Well, the knife arrived today..... I can only assume that Willem must have had a smile on his face as he finished this one. All the pictures he sent could not do the knife justice, the knife far exceeds my expectations, beautifully designed and crafted with everything working so well together.

photo68.jpg

I'm going to have a play with it this weekend and post some more thoughts and pic's. Mighty happy, thanks Willem.

Sam

It has been my pleasure working with you Sam! I am glad it got there OK and that you like it so much - and you are right, I did have a smile on my face when I finished this one - I am really happy it came out as planned. Looking forward to your thoughts and pics after the weekend.

Back