Smooth rough side

How do you smooth the rough side of leather? I have tried using sandpaper and using a skiver without much luck. It could just be the piece of leather I have isn't cooperating. Search function isn't cooperating today either.

Thanks

Not all pieces of leather, even from the same side will work for roughout projects. When working on a roughout project I turn the side over and cut accordingly. I really don't know of a way of getting it smoother for ya. What causes the roughness is that the grain there in those spots is looser, more stretchy. Usually from down towards the belly on the cow. So sanding it probably ain't gonna fix it. Choose a different chunk of dead cow would be my advice.

Thanks. Most of my efforts to smooth out the rough side just made it worse. I thought there may be some trick of the trade. I have been working on pouch style sheaths and on the part that forms the belt loop the rough side is exposed.

"glassing" with water, and then gum tragacanth helps some, but I think there's only so much you can do.

For either flat or pouch style sheaths, I fold the loop over from the back, and tuck it under the front with the welt, so the smooth side shows.

High speed belt sander. Hand sanding has always just brought up the nap for me. The belt sander has done well to tear off the fleshy nap, just try to be even and know that it'll reduce thickness, not a lot necessarily, but some. Without a belt sander I got nothing but headaches.

I'm very happy with the buffed leather I have right now, but there are certainly differences across the piece. Some is stiffer, some softer, some very smooth on the back, some not as much. On pouches (and wrist cuffs) I use the smooth stuff. If they are gonna be lined with pigskin I use the nappier stuff which is good for the contact cement that I'll use.

It's like selecting the piece for stamping or tooling and dyeing. If you are doing that anyway, may as well use a piece with stretch marks.

Edit- I agree with James btw. I have often slicked, but it can only do so much. If it's nappy to start with it'll probably lift the nap at the bend in the loop which can make it look icky (to me), but slicking a nice smooth nap can make it look almost as good as the skin.

Back