Snakeskin micarta...

is this something that only Busse has or can one buy this kind of micarta for someones own use??

Here's a quote from the Busse Combat site:

The Elusive Snakeskin

The Snakeskin micarta handles were discovered accidentally and cannot be duplicated. Not only have we tried to duplicate this unusual layered look with several different manufacturers who claimed that duplication would not be a problem, but several other knife manufacturers have tried quite unsuccessfully to duplicate it as well. Once our supply is used up, the Busse Combat original Snake Skin micarta will not be an available again.

I keep oogling a Snakeskin FBM only b/c you can only get snakeskin at Busse. I have no use for a FBM but I want it in snakeskin anyhoo. Tan looks best to me with it.

Go for it A!

I keep oogling a Snakeskin FBM only b/c you can only get snakeskin at Busse. I have no use for a FBM but I want it in snakeskin anyhoo. Tan looks best to me with it.

Go for it A!

hey, thats what i ordered. tan/snakeskin. hopefully it comes this week, cant wait.

Got a snakeskin / black combo in the mail last week -- and the snakeskin is exceptional on this one :thumbup:

Too bad it's not mag handled... But boy it's pretty snakeskin -- lot's of color. I'll try to get a pic outside tomorrow.

hey, thats what i ordered. tan/snakeskin. hopefully it comes this week, cant wait.

I love the OD/snakeskin combo and I'm sure I'll love the tan/snakeskin combo!! Awesome choice:thumbup:

I could be wrong, but I believe the "tiger hide" micarta was an attempt to replicate "snakeskin".

I don't think it would be a great idea to try and replicate SnakeSkin. I doubt Jerry would grant permission even for personal use. I doubt any custom micarta makers would want to try, even with Jerry's permission (unless Jerry was the one making the order). SnakeSkin is exclusive to Busse Combat, and I doubt anyone would appreciate seeing it associated with any other brand or custom name. No offense intended or implied. It simply would not bode well for the many people who spent many hundreds of dollars to obtain theirs.

Here's an alternative:
The name Mark Nelson comes to mind as a maker of quality custom micarta. If you ask for a swirl or damascus pattern in tan, burnt orange, black, and brown that could get you close without putting you in danger of infringing on anyone else's design/copywrite/intellectual property.
marknelson1@gmail.com
He's also a member here, you can do a search for his name and send him a PM.

Thanks, JW! No, I have no intention of infringing on the snakeskin design. Maybe something similar and of different color. I will try to contact the person you refrred me to and see if he has something similar. I did think that the tiger stripe looked similar. I have some knives I had made with no handles as I want to shape my own handles.

Found a guy on the other forum that also does custom micartas and he is amazing from what I have seen in pics. Goes by the name of Silver Spike. Emailed him to see what he has.

Congrats, you found the same guy, different forum name:D
His custom micarta kind of sets the standard.

Sounds like you've got a cool project on your hands. Don't forget to revive this thread with a pic when you get done:thumbup:

Hey guys thanks for the kind words on my stuff. That makes me feel good. :) I had a few bumps in the road last year in getting micarta made especially towards year end but hope to get a lot done this year. Alejandrino I will get those extra pics to you tonight. I would also like to say that I can not duplicate the Busse snakeskin micarta! I may be able to make something that looks good in its own way but I can not do what Jerry and crew do. Just wanted to say that so no one would think that I was trying copy or profit off anything that Jerry has done. Thanks guys.

Would you please post some photos of your micarta? Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the kind words on my stuff. That makes me feel good. :) I had a few bumps in the road last year in getting micarta made especially towards year end but hope to get a lot done this year. Alejandrino I will get those extra pics to you tonight. I would also like to say that I can not duplicate the Busse snakeskin micarta! I may be able to make something that looks good in its own way but I can not do what Jerry and crew do. Just wanted to say that so no one would think that I was trying copy or profit off anything that Jerry has done. Thanks guys.

I do not think it would be right for me to post pics here in the Busse forum. There are some threads in the Custom Knife forum, the Knife Maker's Gallery forum and the Gallery Forum with some of my stuff on knives. Just search for my name or email me and I can send you some pics.

I don't think I've seen snakeskin offered in Mag handles. Were Mag snakeskin scales ever offered or made? Anyone have a pic?

Back