Snap goes the Spyderco

I understand that snaping open a Spydie is the fastest way to open the knife. Sal, I understand, can open his military faster than an auto. Do you snap it open Sal?

I just got a light weight Wayne Goddard and am having trouble opening it quickly. My thumb doesn't get around on the hole and when I snap it open, the knife doesn't lock unless I throw down hard. What will improve my technique?

Loosening up the knife is essential to the "drop" technique, moreso with light handles like the Calypso and Goddard. The best way to loosen it up seems to be just frequent opening and closing. On some lockback knives I have loosened the spring by clamping it in the open position for a few days, but Spydies don't seem to care (tough knives!) Another trick is to fill the action with toothpaste (a micro-abrasive) and work it for a while - then clean it out thoroughly[/i]!

Loose lockbacks or ones with heavy handles (Steel Police) drop just fine, but IMO linerlocks like the AFCK and Military are easily the best for this, because of the light, smooth linerlock action.

------------------
-Drew Gleason
Little Bear Knives

Toothpaste huh? I'm gonna try that tonight. I wonder if that helps out a Carnivour...

------------------
PRIGGER

Jersey:

I can open my Wayne Goddard Lightweight very quickly. I wear it clipped in my right front pants pocket, by the way. As you know, the Goddard has the clip mounted on the butt end, which means you'll have to use a different technique than the pinch-and-drop method Sal uses on his Military. Here's how I do it with the Goddard Lightweigh, Endura, and similar knives: Simply grasp the handle, and as you retrieve the knife, give it a firm shake to set the blade in motion, followed immediately with a little upward flick of the wrist or forearm to engage the lock. Works great: very secure (no fumbling), and extremely fast.

David Rock

------------------
Stop when you get to bone.

Dear David and Drew:

Many Thanks.
smile.gif
We're mighty fast now! I never realized I could "shake and flick" a knife so fast! With each time I do it, the action is smoother and faster.

Question will I get too loose and have to replace some parts in the future or will my wrist and elbow wear out faster than a Spydie.

I've got a Delica and a Dragonfly (soon to be joined by a Wegner Jr and Walker Ltwt), and snap both open using a flick of my thumb, and I had thought that was fast enough.

Am I just fortunate in having some looser pivots, or am I missing something? What's the drop technique and is there a Spyderco FAQ of any sort that talks about these things? Thanks.

I've flicked my Endura quite a bit--like several times a day for the better part of a year, and I have noticed no damage or excessive wear. Lock-up is still nice and snug. My advice would be to practice the shake-and-flick technique until you're good at it, and occasionally thereafter--a couple of times when you get dressed in the morning, and once or twice before you go to bed at night--just to stay in good form. But don't do a full-force flick every time you use the knife, nor constantly while you watch TV. I'm not too worried about it. If I wear it out, I'll replace it and it'll be money well spent. Actually, I'm more concerned about wearing out the fabric at the edge of the pocket, but even this hasn't been much of a problem.

If I'm ever caught in a rope and being dragged by a horse towards a cliff, this is the method of deployment I plan to use when I decide to cut myself loose.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
"Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz."

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 28 July 1999).]

David,

Thank you very much for this good piece of information!
smile.gif
I tried it just now, and was amazed of how fast I can open a knife, faster than when I use the regular flicking method.

I guess we really learn something new each day, hehehe... Thanks again.
smile.gif

Dan

We ought to call him Sensi David!
smile.gif
I can even shake and flick my benchmade now.

And to think, after over thirty years of carrying sharp objects I learned something new. And with just a sentence or so over the internet!

I hope Janet Reno doesn't find out about the shake and flick, and I guess this is why this technique is not taught in Chairman Sal's Little Green Book.

Can someone describe the "shake" part of this to me. The flick I understand, but the springs on my Spydies prevent them from just flinging open the way my Benchmade (that I sold after two weeks) did.

------------------
Chad
pillshovel@netscape.net

Pillshovel: I'm guessing at this, since I can't tell the drop from the shake technique (hey, there's no FAQ), but this seems to work with my Delica (and all my other knives as well).

Sensei David and others can correct me if I'm wrong.

The shake is a downward twisting motion, mostly of the wrist, but still lots of arm. This loosens the blade. Finish the motion with a sharp upward twist to lock. The hand movement is like an exaggerated "S".

My Delica has a lot more spring action than my Boker and BM Axis, both of which opened more easily with this technique than the Delica.

Works on my Military, butt its very easy and smooth to thumb open. Can't shake open the Viele or Calypso Jr at all.

The one that this technique works extemely well on is my CS Vaquero Grande. Kewl

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

Let me see if I can clarify some terms for you.

"Flick" is a quick snap of the wrist, similar to the motion you use to throw a Frisbee in the usual back-hand manner. Hold the knife by the handle and push it away from your body in a backhanded arc motion with a flick of the wrist at the end. Note that this can be done without touching the thumb hole or stud, or you can use it in conjunction with the thumb hole/stud. This technique works well with liner-lock knives, provided that a) the pivot screw is not too tight; b) the ball detent is not unusually agressive. It's more difficult to do with a lock back: it takes a more violent whipping action to overcome the pressure of the back spring. The larger (heavier) the blade, the easier it is to flick. I can "flick" a Delica in this manner (it takes a bit of practice, and there is some risk of accidentally letting go of the knife), but an Endura is easier. The Military takes the prize in this event, since you have a relatively massive blade and not much spring pressure (no back spring--just a tiny bit of pressure from the depressed liner lock spring) or friction from the ball detent. It's basic physics: Force = mass x acceleration. A relatively massive blade, once set in motion, will have enough force to overcome the ball detent and/or spring tension. You can "flick" a large AFCK open more easily than a small AFCK, assuming equal pivot and ball-detent friction. Flicking open a smaller knife, such as a Benchmade Leopard, is quite difficult to do, unless you use the thumb stud overcome the ball detent initially.

"Drop" is when you open the knife by grasping the spine of the blade (at or near the thumb hole, if it's a Spyderco) between thumb and index finger and jerk it so that the handle falls downward. Spyderco and Sal Glesser popularized this maneuver in the early 1980's, but the technique was in use for many years before that. You don't need a hole to do the "drop", although it definitely helps. You can "drop" open a Buck 110, or even a much smaller knife, such as a Gerber LST. Just as we need a heavy blade to perform the "flick", you also want a heavy handle to perform the "drop". You can drop open any knife, though, if you jerk it hard enough, provided only that there be enough of the spine protruding above the handle for you to grab ahold of. (It is very difficult, if not impossibe, to "drop" open a traditional slip-joint stockman, incidentally.)

"Shake" is the term I use to denote the first part of a combination "shake and flick" technique. Grasping the handle, shake the knife hard to set the blade in motion (overcome the inertia). As the blade is falling out of the handle, you perform the "flick" action described above.

Longden: I wouldn't use the word "twisting"; it's really more of a "jolt".

Chinook: I can open my Calpyso Jr. BM using the "shake-and-flick". I just did it to verify that. I wonder if I can "flick" it open without the "shake". (I'll have to be careful, as this is a very slippery handle!) ... Heck, that worked like a charm. Wow. I wouldn't have thought I could to that so easily. Try it. You've just got to find the right amount of energy to overcome the spring tension. Not all knives are created equal. Yours might be stiffer than mine is. And you're right about the Vaquero Grande. Forget about the thumb studs on that sucker (which are rather poorly designed anyway). Just wheel that thing around and the blade swings open like the gate to Dracula's castle.

Man, I love knives.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846

Jeeze
Just about dislocated my shoulder, butt I got my Calypso Jr BM to "Shake-n-Flip" butt it ain't worth it on that one.
smile.gif
Yes it is a very tight knife.

Be VERY careful overdoing this thing. I lost the VG trying it without the shake and there's a mark in the wall.

Yeah, there are dangers involved. A few months ago I was browsing in the local knife shop while the proprietor was explaining the "drop" technique to another customer. The customer didn't hold onto the knife (a steel handled Delica) tight enough, though, and he ended up throwing the knife onto the floor. The techniques I have described are not for everybody, and they don't work well for some knives.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 29 July 1999).]

Wow
I just received my plain edged Starmate. It is even easier to use this Shake-n-Bake method on this baby. It is controllable as to speed of opening and no slamming at the end.

Plus this G10 is different from my Military in some way, not just the pattern, butt in the texture. Its grippy in a tactile way, almost rubbery feeling. Gives confidence in the grip. And its hair-poppin' sharp out of the box. I like....... a lot.
smile.gif

Back