Snobs!!!

There has been an interesting developement in my knife-life. I have never been a steel freak, one who jumps on the bandwagon of the latest steel fad, the current craze being VG-10 I suppose. Not comfortable carrying and using (hard use that is) expensive knives. Not a tactical type. Geez I can't remember the last time I had to remove a sentry. Old Timers just seem to be on hand when there's work to be done. Old Timers have bailed(and baled) me out of trouble more than once. My Pocket Beast has undergone some scrutiny this week-end and I was shocked to find that there is nothing wrong with it. This may sound like an odd thing to say but bear with me. It cuts,real well as a matter of fact, all types of material from heavy guage fiberglass straps to a peach for lunch. It folds and locks securely,YES SECURE!!! if you've got one of these give it a test , give it two. It sharpens easily and takes a razor edge. Rides comfortably just about anywhere you'd care to put it. The only thing I can think of that I don't like about it, it sounds cheap. Yeah I know stupid complaint. Listen, the bottom line here is I want some opinions do these knives suffer a lack of respect becuase of simple snobbery or what?:confused:

I think they are great. There are just a lot of knives out there. Old Timer and Uncle Henry knives were my first knives. Just curiosity has me looking at a lot of different one. I have seen the same designs in Old Timers and Uncle Henrys for years. I suspect that is because they continue to sell well and a lot of people feel the way that you do about yours.

My dad carried one for as long as I can remember. I bought him another when he had about worn the blade out. His original still sits with his stuff.

I also use a Schrade slip joint as an EDC - since about 1963-4. Still using it on a daily basis for cutting straps & cardboard boxes. Has been actually sharpened very little over the years; still cuts fine. My question: From the pix attached, can anyone tell me the model name for my little workhorse? 3 1/2" closed with the longest blade being 2 5/8". Thanks for any info.

Nothing wrong with a good Schrade. These past few days I have purchased two like new 150T Deer Slayers, and one new 152 Sharpfinger. I even bid on a Guthook a few minutes ago. I plan to keep these in my hunting pack.

Thank you Ed T! I originally purchased that knife as a kid trapping muskrat & for some reason always thought it was a 'trapper'. Thanks, again.

The knife in question is an 825RB the handles are brown (jigged) delrin and the knife should be 3,9/16" long closed. The same essential pattern is presently sold in the Uncle Henry line as an 897UH with staglon handles ( imi stag). That model was also sold in the Old Timer line with sawcut delrin handles and was a model 98OT ( it was called the RAMROD model.) I see your knife is tang marked Schrade Walden so it was made 1973 or earlier. They have made several versions of this pattern handled in various materials. The knife in peachseed is a model 898, In original K-horn ( actually celluloid ) model 896K. Similiar knives using this pattern were also made under the Schrade Cut co tang. (used prior to 1946) These were under about a dozen various numbers depending on the handle material. Recently Schrade made this same knife in a ltd edition in genuine Stag. I hope this helps. Rich

Rich -
You are a veritable encyclopedia! Thanks for all the information & I remeasured my closed Schrade & you are correct down to the last 1/16"!

Back