Snow & Nealley

A short handle splitting maul seems counter intuitive to me. And a little dangerous. I would definately go with that over the Roselli between the two though. Why do you need such a thing, have you tried a hatchet? I split small logs very well with my Gerber 14".

I have tried a Hatchet. But I was looking for something with a little more weight. I just read up on the GB small splitting axe and that looks pretty good also.

I have an old Norlund hatchet and a Michigan style True Temper axe. Now I want something in the middle. The GB's, Wetterlings, Snow & Nealley and Rosellis' all interest me. Mainly the models with handles from 19"-25" inches.

I have found the Snow & Nealley gift set which includes both the small maul and the kindling hatchet for only $75. It seems like a pretty good deal and much cheaper then the $100 that most online websites hve the gift set listed for.

for some reason nobody has good used axes for sale. They seem to hold onto them or forget about them in the shed :)
Trying to find a Rosseli used is impossible for some reason. It seems a lot of people love them or hate them but nobody will sell!!! The same goes for the Snow & Nealley. :cool:

That Snow and Neally sounds like a decent deal. If you're really into a heavy short handle maul jump on it and let us know how it fares. I think a 3 pound head on such a short handle scares most folks, me included.:eek: Honestly, I don't know much about the Roselli and the fact that it's a different design is why I wouldn't choose it. But hell, may be it's better. I would just go with a traditional maul head because I know it works.

The problem with one handed splitters is that they allow you to try holding the log in the other hand, especially when it gets too small to stand up on it's own. Don't do it! (Ask me why :eek:)

I bet you use a stick to hold the log still now :D

Oh yeah. Seems obvious now, but I had to learn the hard way. Let's just say I'm lucky I didn't lose my index finger down to the base knuckle. One of the dumber things I've ever done (and that's saying something :eek:).

I've had an Estwing maul which works very well. These work much better than a typical chopping hatchet !

Back