Snubby reccomendation

So I'm wanting to enter the world of wheel guns. After spending time messing around with semi pistols I've grown fed up with them. They just don't offer the bang I want out of the end of my barrel. So the only revolvers I have own is my Uberti 1858 and a Comanche 3 .357. Now I did like both guns and still have the 58, but I sold my Comanche. I felt that it was not reliable enough for ccw, which is what I'm after. I have been considering a few .357 snubbies. Like the ruger sp101, lcr, Taurus 617,some s&w, and maybe single actions. I'm pretty much dead set on a .357 but really don't want to succeed $550. Thanks.

Last edited:
The Ruger SP101 is a good choice. It is very tough, but a bit heavy, and the grip angle is a bit unusual. S&W makes a lot of models based on the J-frame. Some are all steel, some are part alloy, some have exposed hammers, some have hidden hammers. The all steel models are lighter than the SP101 so they have more recoil. The alloy models in .357 can be very painful to shoot. If budget is a problem you can look at the Ruger LCR series, available in .327, .38 and .357. I don't have any experience with the LCR but the others mentioned are all top quality. Another lower budget possibility is Taurus. Some people like them, other people look down their noses at them.

My primary wheel gun carry is a S&W 442 in the pocket. I'm relatively confident that five rounds of spicy 38 is sufficient to alter someone's behavior. On rare occasions, I will pocket carry a Ruger SP101 .357, but that's a little big for most pockets. It would work great on the hip. Its a stout piece of gun, and not a lightweight.

Shooting a .357 out of a J-frame is said to be like shaking hands with the devil. I've never done it.

Sure a 357 is great, but just cogitate on the possibility of a spicy 38. J-frames are just plain sweet to carry, because they have a smooth profile like a used bar of soap.

I guess a lot of this will depend on your preferred carry method. Once you go with pocket carry, you'll never go back. Its just too comfortable to give up.

My pockets are filled so hip carry is my only option. I was thinking. 357 for versatility. I could carry .38 when around town, but .357 when up in the woods. Maybe even +p when in town. Which is why a .357 snubby has so much appeal. The sp101 weighs about 27oz which is a bit heavy for .38 but will do well with .357. On the other hand the lcr weighs 17oz, but would be hell with .357 I imagine and would hurt shot placement when needed.

Sounds like you "need" two guns. An LCR 38 for town, and an SP-101 for special occasions. LCR now, and SP-101 after you find another $500 laying around.

Ruger SP-101.

Definitely smith and Wesson for a snub, no question. I like the air weight. Don't mess around with Taurus or anything cheap. There are more then a few S&W snubs for $350-$450 which isn't much more then a Taurus.

I would also go with a S&W. I saw a used 642 at the Gander Mtn near you a couple weeks ago.

I have been carrying a S&W 66 w/HP's ~~ yeah it is a heavy weapon but it is one of my Fav's and I don't really notice the weight as I have always carried a heavy weapon and I am very used to them ! {do like to carry a KAHR CW-9 though.!} lol

I have been through alot of snubbies and currently use the 442-1 (no lock) and m&p 340. Neither would be my choice for hiking where large four legged animals would be a concern.

EBmO5t0.jpg

I've carried a Sp101 in .357 for about 14 years or so.

The gun weighs enough that even heavier .357 rounds are not bad.

I even carried it with boot grips to reduce the profile for a while. I eventually just switched back to the stock grips with wood inserts.

There may be lighter more advanced snubbies than the sp101 but you won't ever find me saying anything bad about mine. Comfortable to shoot, easy to carry in a pocket holster.

Good luck finding a K frame Smith for the budget you mention. More realistically, the SP101 and the LCR are both fantastic tools. The SP101 is much more comfortable to shoot and the LCR is a bit more comfortable to carry. Think the SP101 will be more durable as well but I won't know til someone manages to wear one (or an LCR) out. :D

I've had both and like the SP101 a *little* better.

So many things to consider

Here's one more...

I have an SP101, but usually pocket carry a 642. At the time I bought my 642, the LCR did not exist. If I were in the market today, I'd go with the LCR only because there is also a .22 version of the gun. If you practice very much at all, the .22 version will pay for itself. BTW, I do have both the .357 and .22 versions of the SP101 mostly for this reason.

I really like the looks of the wiley clapp editions of the gp100 3 inch and 2.25 inch sp101. Just a bit more streamlined than the stock versions. They come in a little (200_ish) over your budget though.

If I was actually going to carry it I'd go with a LCR or S&W snubby though. For ease of carry.

I have found it

Kidding, maybe as a boot gun though. I'll be going to a sports store after work to handle some snubbies.

S&W M36. S&W, by far, have the best triggers , and they can be made even better easily. I prefer my S&W to be pre-1982 (pinned and recessed).

S%2526W%2520Model%252036.jpg

Buffalo%2520JFrame.jpg

Here's one more...

I have an SP101, but usually pocket carry a 642. At the time I bought my 642, the LCR did not exist. If I were in the market today, I'd go with the LCR only because there is also a .22 version of the gun. If you practice very much at all, the .22 version will pay for itself. BTW, I do have both the .357 and .22 versions of the SP101 mostly for this reason.

I think f I were in the market for a snubbie, this is the route I'd go. The Ruger LCR is the next evolution of small revolvers. A center fire LCR, then later when you have the cash, a .22 LCR for lots of practice. In fact, as much as I like my little Glock 26, I seriously thinking of a LCR in 9mm with the moon clips. More compact and pocketable.

Back