So does anybody sharpen a knife with a file?

The farmers around here use parang, machete, coconut knives, corn knives, etc., etc., as their daily work cutting tools. All sharpen using files. In fact, when I asked one about why she used the file rather than a stone for her sickle, she said she prefered the rougher edge for harvesting rice.

7oxz.jpg

Stitchawl

Really like this photo.:thumbup: As for using file to sharpen knife only time i use a file on a knife was to do this on my rat seven. Before and after.
Rat7got_zps6fff9f4a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140418_162615_zps37f08baa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Only use files on axes for most part. But file would work well to sharpen knife.

David Martin

Ulf, You improved the look of this model. Good file work. I think I would take the edge further, right up to the finger groove choil. Thus, giving it more 'eye appealing' lines and function. DM

bigmark408

Gold Member
My dad used to sharpen his knives with files, grinders... on bricks or what ever he could,,,edges were crude but he would make them cut...lol.

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
You can produce a very nice edge with a *quality* file on a blade with steel of appropriate hardness. Proper use of files for sharpening rather than bulk metal removal is a developed skill, but anyone with good tool literacy/sensitivity can figure it out without much trouble.