1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

So, I am thinking hip flask.

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by BoxANT, Mar 2, 2009.

1. BoxANT

BoxANT

Mar 23, 2008
    I have been wondering about purchasing a good hip flask (for those who love whiskey on the go), and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for (price, material, shape, ect).

Any flask users out there who would not mind chiming in ?

2. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    Get the largest capacity that is convenient for you. You'll probably want to share and two or three guys can drain a small one incredibly quickly.

I think the ones with the rubber gaskets hold up better than the cork. Of course, you can probably replace a cork gasket with rubber when it fails but it might take some effort to find or trim the right size.

I would not get one with a bright chrome finish. One of mine is like that and it got scratched up pretty quickly.

Best of luck!

DancesWithKnives

3. Grubbster

Grubbster Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2006
  4. Midget

Midget Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2002
    i know this isn't much help to you, but, if you're going to a flask it's worth your while to get a quality one. those thin walled, chinese made ones you can get engraved at the mall are crummy and not worth your while.

i used to have a really nice, solid flask from pottery barn many years ago. it was stolen from me in a robbery, and of all the stuff i lost, that was the only thing i really missed. i can't find that flask anymore at pottery barn :(

but look for nice, thick walls, and a good cap with quality threads, and (like above), rubber gaskets are nice. it's nice to have a cap that is attached to the flask so you won't lose it, although it looks nicer to be sans retention system.

i'm not a flask "user" anymore, because i've never been able to find a flask as good as the one i used to have. i was tempted to buy a titanium flask, i've seen posted on these forums a few times. it was like 100 bucks or so, which is kind of steep, but the allure of titanium makes it kind of nifty.

oh, and make sure you get a tiny funnel to go with your flask. don't forget this or you'll waste a lot of booze trying to fill your container.

best of luck!

5. Masteroffajitas

Masteroffajitas Banned BANNED

Oct 7, 2008
    I'd look at some of the USSR guard and officer issue flasks, very nice with fur and gator.

6. Absintheur

Absintheur Banned by Moderators Banned

Jan 31, 2008
    Check out http://www.russellsformen.com/, this is part of A.G. Russell, great quality products. One thing to remember, many places will consider a flask to be an open container as the booze is not in a sealed container. Just something to be aware of if you are driving.

[​IMG]

7. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
  8. BoxANT

BoxANT

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks for the advice :)

Now I have some ideas to think about, those Ti flasks look great, albeit expensive hehe.

I may have to hit up some local pawn shops/thrift stores.

9. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    That Nalgene flask sure looks like a good value.

If I were willing to spend more and not trying to carry my flask in a pocket, I'd consider that Russell three-flask set up. Three 14 oz. flasks in a leather carrier would offer some great capacity. Not to mention the opportunity for variety.

DancesWithKnives

10. BlackHills

BlackHills Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2006
    I really like this promotional flask put out by Macallan. It holds quite a bit and the lid has two stainless shot glasses. You can find them on ebay occasionally.

[​IMG]

11. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    Very nice. Looks like polished stainless? I think that finish would hold up better than my chromed flask, even without the attractive leather case.

DancesWithKnives

12. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
  13. jquinlan

jquinlan

Feb 15, 2006
    I guess I'm a cheapskate, because I buy a small plastic bottle of Yukon Jack, and when I finish it, refill it with JD or whatever excites you. That way I can buy it cheaper in large bottles and keep refilling my plastic flask. It's the same basic curved shape as the metal ones, but much lighter and user-friendly to carry.

14. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm cheap enough that I wait for the once or twice a year that Yukon Jack goes on sale in 750 ml bottles. Unfortunately, my pusher doesn't offer the nice, smaller flasks you describe.

And welcome to Bladeforums!

DancesWithKnives

15. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005
  16. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    That Stanley looks nice. I like the wide mouth. As noted above, you otherwise need a mini funnel. My Stanley thermal bottles have been good quality.

DancesWithKnives

17. Razzierb

Razzierb

Jun 26, 2003
  18. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    Hmm, I'll have to check again... I keep looking for those at my local REI, and they never seem to have them.

19. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    That wouldn't be the Salt Lake City REI, would it....?:D

DancesWithKnives

20. Razzierb

Razzierb

Jun 26, 2003
    I'm not surprised. It took 3 visits to my local REI before I finally found one in stock. I think they must sell pretty quick.