So I broke a Cold Steel folder w/ CTS-XHP

You're probably right. I don't condone misleading the CS reps if that's the case here. (I'm not saying for sure that it is.) Making an end run around the warranty drives up prices for everyone and takes advantage of manufacturers who, for the most part, stand behind their products and go above and beyond to make sure their customers are satisfied.

On that note I do know of a company that actually most likely would honor that lapse in judgement and replace the knife. At worst you would have to pay a small fee to replace the blade. And oddly enough its who everyone pits cold steel against.

And grinding the serrations off is not re-profiling the knife? What I said is 100% true. Do what he did to the blade profile, prior to batoning, and Emerson will void the warranty.

From Cold Steel's site:

Are Cold Steel knives still guaranteed after they've been sharpened by someone other than Cold Steel?

It depends. We have received knives back that have been almost totally destroyed by resharpening on power grinders etc. In fact, some bear almost no resemblance to their original shape! If the knife is damaged in this manner, by inexperienced or overzealous resharpening, it will not be replaced, since this is not a defect in materials or workmanship. However, if the knife fails structurally while in normal use after it has been correctly resharpened, it is still covered by our warranty.

Seems they replaced it at their own discretion, not due to warranty specifically covering it.

The only thing that I find surprising about this whole thing is that Cold Steel replaced the knife.

Hey, on the bright side, even without your knife, you're still fully equipped to take on DONKEY KONG!

It's not that uncommon for CS to replace a knife that was intentionally abused. Years ago here on the boards, a veterinarian told a story of using CS kitchen knife to conduct a necropsy on a cow. He batoned it through the animals breast bone and it completely ruined the edge, knife never broke. I think it was called the Long Hunter but looked like the classic butcher knife. He got that knife replaced. The myth that CS had bad customer service is just that, a myth.

First of all, this. He knew what he was doing was stupid.

Looks like nobody likes to read.

That being said, it was stupid. And I'd say it held up to a reasonable amount of abuse for a folder. Given CS's torture tests though, I would have to admit that maybe it should have lasted a little longer. If anything this makes me want a Recon 1 even more. Quite an interesting story either way.

Can we have some more pictures of that mallet? That thing looks fun!

Lol why is everyone getting so uppity!? His knife so what? Thanks for sharing. The way CS markets their stuff, I would expect them to replace it. I think maybe the baton was too big?

Cold Steel's ridiculous marketing videos are what convince dudes like this that "if any knife can take this abuse, it's a Cold Steel!!".

I hope this was a reality check.

Don't let Evil Hulk Hogan convince you these cheap knives are anything extraordinary :p

EvilHogan2_zpswoqtpyrj.jpg

EvilHogan1_zps40rzjnro.jpg

EvilHogan3_zpsts1vsb1z.jpg

[video=youtube_share;QHSXZnxLZ0I]http://youtu.be/QHSXZnxLZ0I[/video]

Grain of salt.
Great customer service cold steel, just great.

Exactly! You don't call Ford - because nobody expects a Ford to be safe crashing into a brick wall...

... apparently what some of these folks seem to be saying is: Cold Steel isn't Ford - they're Volvo!

Remember when Volvo had all the commercials about how safe they were? and how people had a much higher survivability rate in crashes? Better Safety Board ratings, etc?

So apparently when a company makes strong claims, they could be opening themselves up to this kind of stuff... according to some. Anybody hear of anyone test crashing their Volvo?

And to that i say REALLY? Why are people constantly on this forum saying they know they shouldnt have done something and that it was abuse yet express surprise or disappointment when they get the exact result that should be expected? Its not rocket science. Like if you drive your car into a brick wall you are doing to damage your car. You dont call ford asking for a replacement pinto because you decided to play crash test dummies.

Wait, so u broke a knife doing something you knew not to do, then you called CS to try and get a replacement?!?!
resized_diagnostic-house-meme-generator-i-have-diagnosed-you-with-balls-of-steel-200b62.jpg

Lol why is everyone getting so uppity!? His knife so what? Thanks for sharing. The way CS markets their stuff, I would expect them to replace it. I think maybe the baton was too big?
What baton? With the size of that mallet, it was only marginally more gentle than a waffle faced framing hammer.

Bummer. Nice that they replaced it.

Don't baton folders. If you do baton folders, watch ouT for your fingers, and for flying pieces of metal.

If you do baton, and break a folder, be sure to ask the company for a replacement! That way, they can add the cost to other knives being sold to others. That helps you out, and I get to pay more! It's what I call a win-win situation!

At 3.7mm thick, let's not call it a skull crusher quite yet.

In my opine, you OP are a jerk to ask Cold Steel for a new knife. Just sayin.

You broke it, you pay for it.

Back