So I just bought a Spike

Burke

Platinum Member
I got a good deal on a Spike from the For Sale forum...what should I expect? I've heard really good things about Bladerigger carry systems, is mostly why I bought it, but I'd like to hear comments from those of you who already own one. How do you carry it? Any special techniques for using this? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Burke,

That rig, although I do not own one, I have inspected them and there should not be alot of problems with shifting. It should be pretty solid.

As for the whole concept of that type of concealment and actually using it, I think knives like this are way underestimated by many.

I will start a new thread tonight on these types of weapons and how they were employed. I can cut and paste some stuff out of another Thread as well as type some other stuff out of books. It is all excellent material.

Thanks Don. Though it's not particularly busy, I do enjoy reading some of the stuff that crops up in this forum. I figure it never hurts to be prepare, and you can never be too prepared.
wink.gif

Burke,

As one Forumite pointed out, we have this unique OSS/SOE/CIA vibe going on. We should refer to this place as "Spook Central."

James Piorek is like "Q" without the explosives.

Check out the new Thread and we can build on how to do it and cover drawing and whatnot.

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.

I'm a knife thrower and interested in the spike, but I wonder how much it weighs? A throwing knife has got to be a little heavy. A 6" knife like that should weigh at least 4-5 oz to be heavy enough to throw decently...

Can you weigh it and let us know... I've looked at the JSP site and it doesn't cite weight. That alone tells me that the guy isn't a knife thrower!

Matthew,

I'm a "Knife Thrower" but probably not by your definition.

If you mean that someone has to throw in the vein of "Professional Style," etc., no. He nor I probably are.

Speaking for myself, it is for relaxation and skill development. With an eye towards using it as a potentially damaging tactic for Self-defense.

I think there is a distinct difference between Sport Throwing and Self-defense Throwing, and that is without bringing in all the baggage that many do about throwing your Primary Weapon. I carry more than one knife.

I even buy cheap folders and chuck them sometimes too.

So, Combat Throwing of Edged Weapons or Any Improvised Object for success, cannot depend on specially designed throwing weapons with "proper" weight to overall length ratios.

You have to be able to throw anything.

I actually enjoy throwing CS Vietnam Tomahawks and Estwing Hatchets even more than knives and I do own a "Throwing Knife," one of the best I have ever seen in terms of toughness...

A Bowen Thrower. This thing is a Heavy Duty CHUNKER. When it hits, you hear it really good, if you know what I mean. It makes throwing a knife a pleasure.

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.

Hi Don... You said...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
So, Combat Throwing of Edged Weapons or Any Improvised Object for success, cannot depend on specially designed throwing weapons with "proper" weight to overall length ratios.
</font>

Over-all, yes I agree, and this certainly applies if you find yourself in a fight and spot a loose brick, bottle, rock, or other object conveniently located so that you can grab and throw it, but in this case, the person who started this thread did purchase a particular implement and carry system designed for throwing, so it could be properly weighted, etc.

I'm not particularly a snob sport knife thrower meaning I support and enjoy knife throwing for various purposes including martial arts, and this means throwing knives that would not be considered good sport throwers. But even outside the pure sporting arena, it remains true that a heavier knife throws better and more easily, and in addition is more effective in any context, including martial arts. You can distract someone by throwing a fist full of coins at them, but you're not going to hurt them that way. If you are throwing a knife hoping to end a fight (and not merely distract your opponent for a few seconds), its going to have to have some weight behind it, or be thrown with super-human force.

Of course if you are good enough to hit someone in the eye 9 out of 10 throws from say 8-12 feet, then my comments don't apply to you
smile.gif

Back