So little interest in the Airframe- Any reasons why?

I am a little surprised (not a new feeling for me) that there is so little excitement about the finally released Gerber Airframes. I received mine a week or so ago and am really impressed with the construction materials and overall knife. I wonder for those of you that don't have much interest in this knife why not? I know Gerber advertised these for months on end until they could get them produced, which only made me want one more. I realize there are many other "neat" knives just released or nearly released, what makes those more appealing? Happy New Year...Ed.

You won't hear criticism from me, it's a great knife! The blade is 154-CM, the frame is titanium, it was designed by a guy with an enviable pedigree. What's not to like? If I had to use but one knife, and I couldn't chose it myself, and they gave me an Airframe, I'd be a lucky man, indeed. And I'm not a Gerber fan. My friend sells Bucks, and I prefer Microtechs. The Airframe is THAT good.--OKG

Another possible explanation is "image".

It may be a good knife but I suspect that Gerber has been pigeon-holed as a mainstream company rather than a "specialty" company amongst knife knuts.

It's a fact of life in marketing and sales.

It's not a bad thing if you want to sell to the masses, but it isn't a good thing when you are trying to compete in the higher end market amongst the likes of Spyderco, Benchmade, Microtech, etc.

Most dealers I've spoken too have all said the same thing; "COST" The perception is that the knife is too expensive. But for 154CM steel and titanium handles, cast or machined, the cost does not seem too great.
I have one on order from the Knifecenter and hope to get it. I have spoken to dealers in permanent location stores and dealers at knife/gun shows and all seem to feel that the knife is too expensive for a Gerber.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I'd like to amplify the image argument.

As a mainstream supplier it would be very difficult to move your "normal" buyers into the "premium" price category.

Premium buyers probably have a "wait and see" attitude. I imagine Shrade has a similar problem with their "Walker & Lake" model.

DaveH

I like the profile, but my pre-judgements are that the holes in the handle will collect spooge, be difficult to clean, and allow the handle to flex. Ti is not the stiffest material in the world and would need to be fairly thick to stand up to that much swiss cheesing. Plus, it is a liner lock. How does it hold up under a little twisting?

Aside from the knife, does Gerber go to any knife shows, other than SHOT, to promote their new products?

Steve Harvey wrote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Aside from the knife, does Gerber go to any knife shows, other than SHOT, to promote their new products? </font>

They go to the Blade Show as well. I'm not positive on this but with the products in their line (e.g. axes, saws, boating knives, the tools) they might also go to some outdoor shows whose main thrust isn't knives.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

I've handled Air Frames and I think they are very well made knives, however, I don't see anything special about them that would make me really want one. I honestly can't say there is any real difference between an Air Frame and a SERE or an LCC, but the latter two just seem more "cool" to me.

There are several reasons why the response seems to be lack luster. Gerber does not have the rep it once had. Frankly I think most of the knives they make now are made of piss poor blade material among other things. Now they pretty much just pump out large quantity's of product and seemed to have lost sight of what made them great. So when they try to make a high quality piece few people are intereseted. Honestly 154cm is nothing to sneez at. But the knives are pricey. There are plenty of better knives out there for less money. Now they have axed the ti handles. What's next 420 blades? I have one of these knives myself. I feel that there are short comings in the quality for the price. Also I don't find the handle to be very comfortable. I am sure I am not the only one.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Maybe Gerber should just stick with what they know best, making Baby Food?
wink.gif

bttt - let's get back on track

judy

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

Whoa! Not at all! The Gerber Covert is an excellent piece. Excellent blade geometry, well heat treated ATS-34 blade, excellent production quality, liner lock safety. Great knife!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Harvey:
Whoa! Not at all! The Gerber Covert is an excellent piece. Excellent blade geometry, well heat treated ATS-34 blade, excellent production quality, liner lock safety. Great knife!</font>

Once again, knives are a very personal, and subjective thing.

I would consider the Covert an "interesting" knife; perhaps even a "good" knife.

However,I don't think it's in the excellent or great category considering some retailers still sell it for $100+. If it were $50 to 60, then I would consider it excellent for the price. For one thing, the liners are just plain anorexic!...

[This message has been edited by Full Tang Clan (edited 01-02-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom Carey:
Gerber does not have the rep it once had. Frankly I think most of the knives they make now are made of piss poor blade material among other things. Now they pretty much just pump out large quantity's of product and seemed to have lost sight of what made them great. But the knives are pricey. There are plenty of better knives out there for less money. What's next 420 blades?
</font>

Tom,

While I'm inclined to agree with you,(ever see one of those Chameleons? uggghhh!
rolleyes.gif
) I just have to say that I was surprised by Gerber only a short while ago. I picked up one of their so called "international series" knives at my local knife shop. I got the SLG 3.25 in plain edge. I didn't think much of it at first, but it has got to be one my favorites now- a real sleeper if you will. ATS-34, G-10 scales (only a single stainless liner, but it's strong enough), deep carry clip and a very slim, slender and lightweight package. I like the shape of the blade, serves me very well for my day to day tasks, and had incredibly nice grinds with a wicked sharp edge from the factory. I think I picked it up for 70 or 80 bucks.

It's probably not much to look at, but I think it's definitely one of those knives you have to pick up and fondle to appreciate.

As far as the Air Frame goes, I dunno. It just doesn't appeal to me much, I guess.

I like the Covert as well, but I'd like it even more if the price dropped on it a bit...

Firebat

[This message has been edited by Firebat (edited 01-02-2001).]

FTC,

Do you have a Gerber Covert?

Use the single ground Gerber Covert for a week, and you will see that the blade shape, edge geometry, and production quality make it a great cutting tool, period. It may not appeal to you, but it works.

Back