So long, and thanks for all the pics

Stuff not to do
... Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.
Imgur = the new Savior. :oops:

You're killin' me. Nothing to see here.... sigh.

Coop, I think the more important text follows line you bolded, which strikes me more as a due diligence statement.

My reading of that paragraph, plus the fact that imgur provides embedding links leads me to the conclusion that what we do here in the forums is kosher. I'll send an email to them and find out for sure, though. And then report back.

Here's what's threatening (to me) about Imgur's current free system.

My billing at Fototime is not even CLOSE to my max in storage space. I pay triple the entry 8gb for $23.95 storage for 'bandwidth' fees. Somewhere along the line someone determined that when photos get viewed by 5000 viewers they cost more than simple storage and 100 views.

Fototime gives only 5 times the storage per month for bandwidth. When I post my Blade Show thread I need over 100GB of bandwidth. I pay $75 per year because of such. So even they figured it out (or they are throwing me under the bus....!)

As this bandwidth accumulates from OUTSIDE of Imgur, they are paying attention. At some point some new CEO/CFO is going to come in and say "WTF? Why are we allowing all this outside posting which is costing IMGUR money. Screw that, we need to save money so we have to shut them down...!" Or... charge them $400 per year?

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so. But history repeats itself.

Be cautious about using Imgur as a long-term hosting site.

FWIW, so far, Flickr has been working fine for me.

I chose that above Imgur since I can't stand having to click on links to view peoples' photos, which seems to be a common theme with its users, although I don't know if it's necessary.

~Paul
My YT Channel
Lsubslimed

... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Last edited:
my question to Imgur;

is it kosher to embed photos into forums? The rules are not entirely clear to me

their answer;

Hi Lorien,

Thanks for writing! It's fine to embed images in forums, although I believe most forums may not actually support embed codes. You're welcome to use any of an image's links when sharing on a forum. Usually the direct link with the file extension (like imgur.com/1234567.jpg) will work best.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best,

Brianna

^^^ I like that answer. Sounds reassuring. Thank you.

just a little follow up, fyi

my question;

Hi Brianna,
thanks very much for the quick and thorough response to my question.

Another question, if you don't mind;
does Imgur have plans to move to paid usage, and if so, about how much and when would this happen?

I've had a paid Photobucket account for a few years, for the express purpose of being able to build magazine style stories with embedded photos within a specific forum, (volunteered, not paid).

I recently switched to Imgur because Photobucket is going to jack the price up from $24.95 per year to $399 per year. I'm unable and unwilling to pay so much for the embedding service, which means that all the threads I've painstakingly built over the years will lose the photos once my subscription comes to an end. I'd like to avoid this happening again, and am looking for a little assurance that Imgur won't pull a move like this at some point in the future.

Cheers, and thanks again.
Lorien

Imgur's answer;

HI Lorien,

We have no plans to move to a paid service again. We did have pro accounts available a few years ago, but removed pro subscriptions and gave all pro features (unlimited uploads and thumbnail options) to all users for free on Imgur's birthday!

Let me know if you have any other questions; I'd be happy to help.

Best,

Brianna

That sounds most encouraging! I have been using Flikr for new photos since Ph...ucket became impossible to work with, which was before they went into extortion. Don't know whether that is going to work, but having something working now stalled me on digging for more of an answer with Imgur.

Just finished restoring the photos to most of my old threads. What a pain in the....Good thing I work so slowly. I didn't have too many threads to update. :D

Stop the presses

My photobucket account was also scheduled to shut down at the end of this month unless I paid the $399 blood money

I have thousands of pics on it and hundreds of threads on multiple forums over many years that are dependent on the photos that are being hosted on it

I had already been paying them 100 bucks a year for extra storage which I thought was fair but was resigned not to renew and had planned on letting the account slide and using a new hosting site

Well they just emailed me and offered me a 99 dollar a year plan again that includes all the extra storage I needed and third party hosting .......so my threads will live on .....:)

They said I only had seven days to take advantage of the offer .... what a scam :) but my threads will live on

Last edited:
Alot of people don’t know this but you can use Facebook to embed photos. I will have to check how to do it on the pc but on my iPad I don’t use the app I log in with the browser. I then upload the picture to Facebook and then open it. I then hold my finger on the picture and drag it to the address bar and it will open in a new window with just the picture. Copy that web address and attach here and your done. Here is a sample off my Facebook.
179640_1833840572773_62969_n.jpg

good to know, thanks JT. meth labs seem to be gaining in popularity

I am very unsophisticated at this, and I am not sure what is wrong with TinyPic or even linking to pictures in your Instagram account. Maybe someone can explain, and if so . . . TIA!

Facebook image URLs will shift after a while, in my experience. If I'm hosting photos and hotlinking them to forums, I use Imgur now because I've had to fix some threads where the photos were hosted at Facebook...

Back