So..should I use my Yarborough...

My thoughts are use it if will bring you pleasure, but don’t feel obligated to either. I suspect it will be meaningful to him either way.

At least you have it in a shadow box, though, which highlights the significance. Mine is literally just in a box at the top of a closet. My kids are still youngish and don’t even know I was in the army..guess I’ll tell them one day, lol...

Last thought: I’ve always considered mine as some type of plaque, I suppose. I never took it to work and always found different fixed blades to use. However, it was my first CRK knife and has inspired some brand loyalty within me. I use the heck out of my CRK folders and they all, in a strange way, still feel connected to the circumstances of my first CRK. But even with that said, I agree that using the knife, especially with your son, will create some unique memories.
That's how I looked at it too. I have my first beret and the certificate they gave me when I completed the course in the box. Did you get yours issued or did you have to turn in the paperwork and buy it?

Last edited:
Thank You for your service.

May I ask what kind of fixed blade you used instead?
The Yarborough can do both. While it is a capable tool it is also a piece of museum quality.
If you have use for it - do it.
Well i got a civillian version and use it while hiking. I know this is a different version.
I pretty much use my Mora, it is so light it's like having free gear. I have used it to butcher a few bears, elk, deer and a Mtn Goat. When I use a bigger knife it is almost always my ESEE 6. I think yours is the same just without the serial number. Isn't that correct?

It was issued to me-I signed a hand receipt and we were told unholy hell would reign down if it was ever found in a pawnshop. Did you have to buy yours???

Thank You for your service.

May I ask what kind of fixed blade you used instead?
The Yarborough can do both. While it is a capable tool it is also a piece of museum quality.
If you have use for it - do it.
Well i got a civillian version and use it while hiking. I know this is a different version.

I used various small fixed blades on my kit over time (esee 3, survive! 3.5, cqb tool, some others) and in civilian clothes usually carried a smaller fixed blade iwb (izula, Kim Breed, hinderer or bradford). If still working in this realm, I would probably carry some iteration of a CPK EDC or DEK or maybe even a Bradford G3. And probably my large Inkosi or Umnumzaan..

I love the CRK fixed blade, though, I just routinely carried/carry smaller sized knives. Wasn't there a contestant who used his on the show Alone? I don't remember his name and I never saw if it was his numbered knife or a different one. Definitely a capable knife.

It was issued to me-I signed a hand receipt and we were told unholy hell would reign down if it was ever found in a pawnshop. Did you have to buy yours???

I used various small fixed blades on my kit over time (esee 3, survive! 3.5, cqb tool, some others) and in civilian clothes usually carried a smaller fixed blade iwb (izula, Kim Breed, hinderer or bradford). If still working in this realm, I would probably carry some iteration of a CPK EDC or DEK or maybe even a Bradford G3. And probably my large Inkosi or Umnumzaan..

I love the CRK fixed blade, though, I just routinely carried/carry smaller sized knives. Wasn't there a contestant who used his on the show Alone? I don't remember his name and I never saw if it was his numbered knife or a different one. Definitely a capable knife.
I signed for mine and then they took it back until I was done with language school. That was when you went to Pineland before language and SERE (2003). Then my wife stuck it in the shadow box for me.

Back