So someone asked me to make a knife with S30V

All of my knives up to this point have been carbon steel, 1095, 5160 and such. The knife in question:
http://www.krohnknives.com/s0018/s0018.html
Normally requires forging to curve the handle and bend out the gut hook. I can get this out of 1 1/2 inch wide stock. I don't think it would be advisable to forge s30v. I was planning to send it to Paul Bos for heat treating. I've been wanting to do this for a while and this just gave me the last nudge.
So what should I know going into this?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

You can get S30V from Crucible Service Centers in plate form cut to any width you like. If you're making more than one or two of those you should think about haveing the blades blanked via laser or water jet to save bandsaw blades.

I don't think you will have any luck forging S30V. Mr. Bos is certainly your best ace in the hole for heat treating that steel.

I just received my first 15 meters of S30v so I'm looking forward to seeing how it grinds compared with the S90V I've used for some years.

Good luck with your knives!

That looks like a job for a water jet cutter. Make sure you grind pretty close to finished size before hardening as hardened S30V doesn't grind easily.

Danbo

Platinum Member
Kevin Wilkins said:
I just received my first 15 meters of S30v so I'm looking forward to seeing how it grinds compared with the S90V I've used for some years.

While S30V is not fun to grind after heat treating, I would say that YOU will be happy with the difference.

:D I'm saving my strength (and grinding belts) to come back out and battle CPM 500V!:D Play that Rocky theme song somebody!!!

i get mine right from crucible they have a 50$ min order but that gets me a bar of cpm3v 7/32x 1 1/2 x 24 inch
butch

Daniel Krohn said:
All of my knives up to this point have been carbon steel, 1095, 5160 and such. The knife in question:
http://www.krohnknives.com/s0018/s0018.html
Normally requires forging to curve the handle and bend out the gut hook. I can get this out of 1 1/2 inch wide stock. I don't think it would be advisable to forge s30v. I was planning to send it to Paul Bos for heat treating. I've been wanting to do this for a while and this just gave me the last nudge.
So what should I know going into this?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
I would just say NO :p

Daniel in the new Jntz catalog they are showing carrying s30v. You might try them since they have some of the stock from the Koval's buyout.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
the last quote I got from crucible for bars (not sheets) was $28/lb. for regular, $34/lb. for precision ground.