So there's sub-par fit and finish, and then there's this..

So I just got my brand new 2012 Mini-Commander in the mail after a week of waiting and checking the mailbox every few hours. I opened it and held it in my hands and could feel something felt odd. After looking at the handle, I saw that the G-10 liners were hilariously over and undersized for the steel and titanium liners. It was not just plain old ugly to look at, but it also definitely felt weird to hold.

I have attached the following pictures. My camera is a pretty bad and dated so it probably did not get the extent of the problem, it looks a bit more pronounced if you look at it in person.

44783a0f.jpg

19c5dab8.jpg

8f3f0088.jpg

8e1ae27a.jpg

7090ad62.jpg

It is like that around the entire handle, but most pronounced at each end. Comically oversized G-10 on one side, and hilariously undersized G-10 on the other.

I can forgive the knife arriving with dusty G-10 handles, or an extremely gritty opening. I don't mind a slightly off-centre blade or machine marks on my liners. Yet when it comes to something this ridiculous, I can't help but be a bit pissed off.

Why didn't the 'professional' guys at Emerson who put this knife together notice something that I, a normal guy, noticed in the first seconds of holding the knife? They make such a big deal about how they are a small family operation building a limited number of knives at a time, yet how can they miss something like this? When a knife's fit and finish go past cosmetic and start affecting ergonomics, that's when I make threads like this.

I am an Emerson fan. I own a Karambit, CQC-7V, Horseman, and Mini-15. So I am by no means a 'hater'. I just can't believe I'll have to waste my own time and money to fix this problem when it should have been stopped at the quality control lines of Emerson's factory.

I understand your frustration, that is really subpar and not acceptable. Why did it happen or how I don't know but I'm 100% that if you send it they'll fix it and/or send you a new one
Good luck

Wow, that is sloppy and unacceptable. This extreme of a non-matching liner issue is rare though.

I don't think it'd be too much to ask for EKI not only to fix it but to fix it with all shipping costs on them. But before you send it in, disassemble and reassemble it, see if that solves it.

this is the reason i will never buy an Emerson, too many stories just like this, almost every knife has some sort of issue, not worth the money or the headaches.

this is the reason i will never buy an Emerson, too many stories just like this, almost every knife has some sort of issue, not worth the money or the headaches.
- I own 4 Emersons. My brother owns 2 and my sister owns 2. None of them are even close to this level of subpar fit and finish. They actually all have a very good fit.

You really can't see how everything is lined up on the knife. I suggest you loosen all the screws and try to line everything up. If your not satisfied send it back and they will make it right.

I have had problems from almost every major knife company.

It is always the same PITA to have to go through, but if you really like the knife, then it is definitely worth getting it fixed.

I feel your pain!

That definitely sucks, but I'm positive that Emerson will take care of you in no time.

Thanks for all the replies and kind words. I've had a bit of time (and a couple of beers) so I think I've mellowed down a bit. I will take it apart and reassemble while making sure everything lines up, although I am not too confident as just viewing it from six inches away, you can see that the G-10 really is cut weirdly. I think I am more mad since I now have to spend $40 to send back my brand new knife for a problem that anyone putting the knife together should have spotted from the start.

I have sent an email to the dealer I bought this from, and Emerson as well. I will update with any progress :)

That sucks I had the same issue a while back with a mini a100 sent it back to where I bought it from and never looked back. I just have 1 Emerson micro commander that is fine so will not buy anymore don't want to deal with that on a new knife.

$40?!? Where are you?.

Maybe he isn't in the US? If he is I shipped knives for $25 rounds trip USPS and insured for $200. Emerson would certainly pay for shipping.

Edit: I looked at his previous posts and he is in New Zealand. Best of luck to you. Maybe Emerson would pay for shipping if reassembling the knife doesn't solve your problems.

Last edited:
I am a huge supporter of Emerson, and they remain my #1, but this is beyond usacceptable. Regardless of a takedown, this will not fix the issue. These aren't 'Small' tolerance issues; the G10 grind is just lazy. I know that Emerson will have you fixed up in no time, but if someone is rolling into work deathly ill or hungover, it needs to get stowed away. That said, can't wait to see some production runs of the Slim Pike and Bandito..in which place I will buy 4 :D

There could be another explanation. The dealer may have taken a couple Commanders apart and mixed up or canabilized the parts. Just a guess as the liner grinds don't match the scales. Either way it would be dissapointing and I'm sure Emerson would fix the issue.

I own several Emersons going back to the 90's and would say this is not typical of Emerson quality.

I own a dozen Emersons that I have picked up over the last 7 or 8 years.... I have never seen anything even close to resembling your knife. I know that given the chance, Emerson will most definitely make it right AND make you whole... it all starts with giving EKI a call.

That looks so bad that the first thought that came to my mind was knock-off. But, I'm guessing if you bought from a reputable dealer, it's a genuine Emerson and not a fake copy. I have no doubt in my mind that Emerson will take care of it.

I am a huge supporter of Emerson, and they remain my #1, but this is beyond usacceptable. Regardless of a takedown, this will not fix the issue. These aren't 'Small' tolerance issues; the G10 grind is just lazy. I know that Emerson will have you fixed up in no time, but if someone is rolling into work deathly ill or hungover, it needs to get stowed away. That said, can't wait to see some production runs of the Slim Pike and Bandito..in which place I will buy 4 :D

Yeah, I did a complete takedown and made sure everything was lined up properly. Nope, still no go.

There could be another explanation. The dealer may have taken a couple Commanders apart and mixed up or canabilized the parts. Just a guess as the liner grinds don't match the scales. Either way it would be dissapointing and I'm sure Emerson would fix the issue.

I own several Emersons going back to the 90's and would say this is not typical of Emerson quality.

I own a dozen Emersons that I have picked up over the last 7 or 8 years.... I have never seen anything even close to resembling your knife. I know that given the chance, Emerson will most definitely make it right AND make you whole... it all starts with giving EKI a call.

I made contact with them and I am sending in my knife this week. I just hope they have mini commanders in stock if they are going to replace this knife.

That looks so bad that the first thought that came to my mind was knock-off. But, I'm guessing if you bought from a reputable dealer, it's a genuine Emerson and not a fake copy. I have no doubt in my mind that Emerson will take care of it.

I actually bought it from a prestige dealer that I have been using for the past couple of years. I bought four Emersons from him in the past and this one would be my fifth. However, he has been pretty unhelpful and condescending when I tried contacting him. I bought a Mini 15 from him several weeks ago and it came with horrible blade centring. I managed to fix with after a takedown and clean up of the washers. So when I asked him to check this mini Commander prior to sending it to me, he most likely didn't. I asked him what happened when I got this knife and he actually said that I shouldn't expect too strict tolerances from a production knife D: He also said that if I was being too 'particular' maybe I should shop somewhere else where I could hold the knife and make sure it was up to my standards and that he wouldn't discuss the matter further (since I was trying to get help for shipping).

Obviously I called him out on this and he said that he couldn't be expected to check every single knife he sells. I told him about the email I sent him specifically asking him to check the knife BEFORE I even sent the funds and it looks like he did not. Now he back tracked to saying he DID check the knife but didn't notice the G-10 issue:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Such a sour experience, he is really happy and all smiles when taking my money but when he sends me out faulty goods that are supposed to be brand new he suddenly is less talkative.:thumbdn:

I won't name him just yet since I really am giving him the chance to remedy this by at least offering to go halves in intl. shipping since I wouldn't be in this place if he did check the knife per my request, its not like I was asking for a complete teardown and inspection. Just a 10 second check to see if the blade was centred, lock up was good, no side to side etc.. Blah, I was going to buy a small Sebenza and a few ESEE knives from him but not any more. I hope that this shipping cost outweighs any future business I will give him or send his way.

Back