So what's the word on the Shabaria??

Maybe I missed this conversation, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the shabaria. I'm thinking about buting one, but wanted to know a little bit more about it.

Thanks
Dave

Just happen to be carrying mine today!

The Shabaria is a very different knife, to say the least. I would consider it to be a specialized fighter.

It's handle design is quite different. Using the butt/pommel/bottom-of-hourglass as your grip point adds several inches to your reach, and it seems to really be what the handle is designed for. The knife is extremely effective slashing, in both forward and reverse grips. The thin (both edge-to-spine and thickness-wise) blade and recurve also facilitate slashing. The pommel is a serious non-lethal alternative, as well.

For utility, I've got to be honest and say it wouldn't be my first choice, as I like a little more beef, both in the blade and handle.

Otherwise, it's well made (duh), incredibly unique, and really classy. Haven't used it enough to say how the VG-10 fares compared to other steels, but I'd be very surprised if it's not ultimately worthy of it's praise. The black clip with gold spyder is a really nice touch, and I'm always happy to get micarta rather than G10!

I think it's safe to say that if you think you'll like it, you will. If you don't think you'll like it, it may wear on you over time, but maybe not - it's definitely not for everyone.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"That which does not kill me just postpones the inevitable."

BUY ONE!
I loves mine me...I was only mildly enthused about it when it arrived but its a grower for sure, esp in plainedge.
Quality control seems good on this one (my JSK and Smith are going back to Golden).
The only downside as I see it is that its not lefty friendly. Despite this I'll be getting another when $ allows.

I took these off previous threads:

Scorpio said:

o.k...review time.
got a bunch of shabariyas last week.let me start in saying i'm not completly objective here. eduard bradichansky was my freind and i followed the shabaria project since it was a scetch on a piece of paper. i also intraduced eduard to spyderco.
so now when i stated "bias" i can tell you about the knife.
the knife sits very low in the pocket and gives you very low profile the only thing to suggest there is a "spydie" in your pocket is the golden spyder that shines on the clip.
the hourglass shape of the handle is a bit strange at first but holding the knife in a saber grip and reverse grip is very comfortable and gives you a secure grip and high ramp against sliding your hand on the blade.
the blade is long[about the size of a police model],but has a slight reverse curve to it so it dissapear into the handle[micarta].and gives the impression that the knife is much smaller than it is.
the shape of the blade will give you a slashing abbility cutting deeper as the blade slide -steel is vg-10 and it is a spyderco so the question if it cuts is irelevent-it a spydie sure it cuts-like hell.
the double steel liners gives a lot of regidity and the knife feels very solid the end of the handle is shaped like an arrow head that gives one the abbility to use it as a blunt weapon giving you the chance not to apply leathel force-simmilar to the escalator.
in all it is more a fighter -martial folder than a utility knife but for one it is very low profile and beautiful to be hold,and there aren't many of those out there.
the spyderco quality comes for granted.
eduard..thank you leaving us with a great design and thank you sal for making it happen.
i love it,i hope you guy's will too.
scorpio.

BRAM said:

they're here? they're out? Ok so where's my two collectors versions?? What am I chopped liver or something? The Shabaria is very cool. I played with the prototype and ferried it across the atlantic to Israel and back...it fits real well in ones hand and it has a great edge..
OK..WHERE'S MINE?????????

I say:

Run a search on "shabaria" in the spyderco forum and find out that this is one amazing and special knife.

I think it has one of the best (if not THE best) blade-to-handle ratio..

Did I neglect to say iI have one??? - well I do and I love it.

GET one - definitely. and get a spydercard designed by edoardo while you're at it - this is also an amzing design.

As Scorpio said: I too am biased - Edoardo was also my friend. May he rest in peace.

[This message has been edited by Blilious (edited 02-22-2000).]

I don't think that I have heard any negative comments on the knife. Although, I would have to hold one to figure out how I like it.

------------------
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
**Blazing Saddles**

Hi y'all,

Well I got quite a few spydercos in the mail today, but unfortunatly the Shabaria was not among them. I did get another spydercard though (plain edge) I love these things I just drop it in my back pocket and forget about it. I can' wait until my shabariba gets here. I hope the handle it not to thin, I have very long fingers and it is hard for my to open the Spydercos with small handles.

I am sure I'll like it no matter what. I every knife with a blade over 3" that Spyderco makes.

Later,
John

------------------
Absentem qui rodit amicum, qui non defendit alio culpante, solutos qui captat risus homimum famamque dicacis, fingere qui non visa potest, commissa tacere qui nequit: hic niger est, hung tu, lamnia lammina lamna forumites, caveto!

Eduard was a dear friend of mine, so I cannot refrain from adding to this thread.
I find the fit and finish superb, the handle just fine thank you, and the blade - let's just say that it's RAZOR.
Actually, trying out the blade is the only use the knife has seen since I carry it as a concealed backup.
May Eduard's blood be avenged!

mosh

Thanks for all of the info. I think I should have one in my pocket shortly
smile.gif

Dave

Back