Society is breaking down, ya have to move on...what knife ?

With the spate of world disaster type movies recently and all the talk of pandemics etc I got to thinking of what knife would serve ya best ?

So lets imagine for a minute that the Sh*t has hit the fan, it might be a huge natural disaster such as flooding, it may be an attack from another country or it may be a lethal pandemic. Society is now breaking down, there are looters everywhere and your home is no longer a safe option you have to hit the road !
Your go bag is ready, you have grabbed a few small valuable possessions and now it comes time to choose your steel-No time to pick and mix, just grab one and get out quick !
. Let's think what this knife may be needed for:
Food preparation.
Defence from violent attacks( there may be looters desperate for supplies and trying to take yours).
Possible building of shelter( You might need to hide out in the wilds for a while for this to blow over ).
Breaching of doors ( Maybe ya find a cabin in the woods or need to breach an abandoned store for supplies).
Fire preparation ( no explaination needed).

So ya see this needs to be a versatile tool, what kinda knife would you choose ? This doesn't have to be one you own it might be one you'd like to own or even one you'd design ! Let's hear what blade size they are as well !

Last edited:
i think id go with my bravo 1.its by far my strongest and most versatile while still being small enough to carry comfortably and i wouldnt worry about breaking it.not to mention it holds an edge for a long time

if its going to be a one knife to rule them all kinda thing i'd want a danish war axe kinda like the one made by hanwei/cas iberia.

it can prep food (blade is somewhat ulu shaped)
defence; the danish war axe as home both on the battlefield and in the woods
building shelter; the danish war axe is still an axe at its core, cutting down lumber to build make shift shelter is alot easier, especially in our northern woods, with an axe than a machete.
breaching doors; again, chopping wood doors down would be too hard with the axe.
fire prep; splitting rounds, shaving fuzzies and striking sparks off the head of the axe is doable i think.

if its one knife for each option thing and we can toss multiple knives into our pack i'd chose the following

food prep; mora clipper stainless
defence; cold steel barong or magnum kukri machete
shelter; gransfor burks scandanavian forest axe
breaching doors; k5 tactical tomahawk
fire prepartion; bush craft north west knife designed by mike lumio

I'd carry a heavy-duty belt knife (Ratweiler, Hell Razor, or one of my mid-sized Moonshine series :D), complimented by a couple of pocket knives, my .45, and danged if I'm leaving home without my Criswell katana, too;)

My Becker BK-2. That's my "Goldilocks" knife: Not too big, not too small, it's just right.

For the scenario you've outlined, I think it's perfect. It's not the best slicer out there, nor is it the best chopper in the world; no, it's not the lightest thing you could carry, but it's not the heaviest, either.

There are other knives that may perform certain functions better than the BK-2, but it's the one that I can count on to perform all functions reasonably well. If I could take only one knife, this would be it.

SFNO LE

Not too big, not too small, not too thick, not too heavy has a nice choil (appropriate for this blade)and carries well.

Maybe my norse hawk but hard to imagine not having at least a pocket knife. Yep, I think the hawk would get the nod, it is fairly easy to make a functional knife, say out of a old saw blade or any piece of scrap you may find but a lot harder to make the hawk. And in a pinch my hawk will do it all, especially taking the handle off and using it like an ulu. Chris

Doesn't someone do this every other month??
Quick, you can take only one knife, which one?
SHTF, one knife, which one?
If you can have only one knife, which one?

Hell, my BOBs have folding and fixed blade knives plus SAK already in them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take just one knife. If I were "hitting the road", I'd take several. If I were taking my care, I'd take a bunch. Good knives would make excellent barter items, if the SHTF.

At the very least, I'd take my Bravo-1, a good machete, my small Sebenza, and a multitool of some sort.

Hell, my BOBs have at least two knives already in them.

Yeah, but what if they didn't!! ;) :D

Hell, my BOBs have at least two knives already in them.

its a ritual here in the WSS that someone posts a zombie survival or a SHTF post once a month. ;):D

I would have a 7&1/2 " Bowie with grips that matched my 45ACP pistol and a finish that matched my Battle rifle and Tactical 12ga.

I would have a 7&1/2 " Bowie with grips that matched my 45ACP pistol and a finish that matched my Battle rifle and Tactical 12ga.

Yep. Nothing like being stylish WHTSHTF. Forget the firearms, what one knife would you take to get you through? I realize that this comes up all the time, but it really is of interest to a lot of us.

Maybe Pit's trying to see who's changing their minds :D

I'd start with as many as I can cary my what ever mode of trans I'm starting with. I'd end up bartering some, hopefully arming allies with some, and then work my way down to the ones I wouldn't part with. I think I know which those would be but it remains to be seen for sure.

I think all that hardware might make me a target, I would probably try to look so poor no one would ever want to mess with me. The glock would be it, and it would be out of sight. Chris

I think all that hardware might make me a target, I would probably try to look so poor no one would ever want to mess with me. The glock would be it, and it would be out of sight. Chris

See, I would want it the other way around, so SCARY no-one would want to mess with me.:D:thumbup:

Oh yeah, RC6.

Yes they do but new knives are always coming out and new forum members are always appearing !
If you can come up with a better post feel free the more new posts the better !

Yeah, but what if they didn't!! ;) :D

OP said "go bag was ready". If it's not ready, it's not a go bag.
I hope I have time to pick and choose stuff WSHTF, but I'd rather it be spent on food, water and clothes, not blades.
If there's extra people that aren't prepped, I've got extra knives, mil surplus, they can pick from.

OP said "go bag was ready". If it's not ready, it's not a go bag.
I hope I have time to pick and choose stuff WSHTF, but I'd rather it be spent on food, water and clothes, not blades.
If there's extra people that aren't prepped, I've got extra knives, mil surplus, they can pick from.

Sure, what cha got?

Back