SOG’s new direction…

dl351

Gold Member
Hello everyone. It makes me feel kinda old, but I’ve been a member here for over 15 years, and I see some of my “old” Seki SOG knives on that auction sight advertised as “vintage!” Anyway, my main reason to start this thread is to ask if anyone is hoping for anything specific from SOG, given their new direction. Overall, I like the direction they’re going. In the last couple years I have gotten a Pentagon XR, Kiku XR, Kiku XR LTE, Trident XR (a steal at $40!), Seal XR, and a Pillar. So far, I’m happy with all of those knives, especially the Kiku XR’s and the Pillar.

However, I feel there is something lacking in SOG’s new lineup. A big fixed blade. I think I’ve seen SOG advertise the Pillar as a “big” fixed blade, but it’s dwarfed by my Seal 2000, Super Bowie, and Tech 2, not to mention the coated Tigershark that I sold to my brother a while back. What I’m getting at is that I love SOG’s new lineup, but I would love it even more if they had new iterations of the Seal 2000 (sorry, but the Seal FX doesn’t compare in size), Tigershark, and Bowie. Perhaps something like the Pillar, but bigger and maybe made out of 3V for a new Seal 2000?

Does anyone else feel the same way as me? Maybe you’d like to see something completely different from SOG. I’d love to hear some opinions.

Got it in one. I was just looking for SEAL team knives last night, they seem to be dwindling from stock everywhere.
I agree - a big blade from SOG would be great. I'd like to see something similar to your suggestion - an updated steel and a 7" and 9" blade. So the SEAL (I'd like it if they knocked the shape back to the SEAL 2000 lines) and the Tigershark in perhaps CPM 3V would be just the ticket.

I'd like to see them bring back the original Tomcat! THAT is what gas station knives want to be when they grow up.....

i figure its popular knife trends
of the day which dictates
the direction of new models.
the company began with the idea
of creating a vietnam era collector's replica and then somehow expanded
its productline from there.
all based entirely on the
signature design feature of the
sog macv bowie blade shape.
(well, at least it did back then).
and that was an important key.
to have a product brand
with a unique consistant look
and feel.
but unlike spyderco or even victorinox
both of whom have shown
what it means
to be steadfast and consistent
wirh.their respective product' design direction.
well sadly imho,
the former sog management
sort of over expanded
and deviated from its design
scope and lost its key design ingrediant ....
(probably the only thing
which they were consistant
throughout was their range
of great pliertools).
i see an interesting turn around
of the brand these days
with the new owners.
its approach signals
better days perhaps.
and it doesn't seem
to be taking any design pointers
from the glorious past.
its a clean slate.
with slick ads and marketing
a very different corporate image
wirh its sophisticated outlook.
yeateryears 'nam roots is probably
not relevant for future projects.
this point on its about
creating a whole new future
with the knife people of today.
generally the knife market has been through several notable fads - generic hunting, tactical , buahcraft, edc.
we have yet to see a revival with retro styling :)
well, maybe a limited collectors run for the diehard dinos ,-)
but that probably doesn't count for a yearly mass market sales projection.
upgraded nexgen tighershark with integral full tang guard/handle with sculpted g10 scalea?! h€// yeah!!!

Last edited:
I'd like to see them bring back the original Tomcat! THAT is what gas station knives want to be when they grow up.....
Interesting thought. I got rid of my original Tomcat decades ago. But I did eventually pick up a Tomcat 3.0.
The last of the series, made in the same factory, with solid VG10 instead of Aus6, and using SOG's Arc-lock.
That knife was really very very impressive. The only real "fault" was that it continued to be a large sized
folder with no clip, to be carried in a sheath. A carryover from days gone by.
SOG eventually terminated their contracts with G.Sakai which started in the 1980s and while their now Taiwan
made fixed blades were not bad, their folders floundered.
Only now we are seeing some very interesting models based on the XR lock. Unfortunately though, during all this time
period, I've gottetn older and have lost a taste for "tactical" folders. As well as recurves.
nJWdPj.jpg

OBU3PR.jpg

Last edited:
Like those Tomcats!! I too like the direction they are going. The newer Trident AT-XR I recently added along with the folding Pentagon are great additions. The Aegis FX and Trident FX should be available shortly I have read. Both seem a move in the right direction for fixed blades.

So I saw the new Recondo on SOG’s website. To me, it looks nothing like the old Recondo. The old one was more of an American tanto and was available in BG-42 steel. This new one looks like a relatively plain clip point blade, and is made out of pretty run of the mill 440c steel. In my opinion, this looks like an attempt to cash in on a “vintage” SOG name, without putting forth a unique design. I would hope that there would be some resemblance to classic SOG knife designs, if the names are going to be reused. Thoughts?

On another note, I’m still holding out for a new 1/4 inch thick rendition of the Tigershark…

Very nice, New Pig Hunter! I had a powder coated SK5 Tigershark, but sold it to my brother. I always wanted the older satin finished model. I was lucky enough to snag a new in box Tech 2 from the auction site years ago for I think $60. That was shortly after the original Tech line was discontinued and Seki SOG’s didn’t command a premium price like they do now. I’d love some new designs similar to the old ones, but with updated steel. I can only hope that someone at SOG checks this forum periodically!

Back