SOG Bowie II

6 3/8" black Sk-5 carbon steel blade, 11" overall, stacked leather handle with black steel guard and pommel. Lanyard. Black leather belt sheath with pocket for sharpening stone.

I was wondering about this particular knife? Anyone own one, and how has it performed? I love my seal pup elite but really prefer a carbon blade like sk5 for anything out of water.
Doc

The sk-5 steel is great but it is a taiwan knife. Sog has great customer service and really do stand behind their work though. So i would'nt nescecarilly turn my nose up. I have heard of some issues about the laether washer handle wearing easily and the gun blueing finish getting splotchy if it does happen to get wet.

The SOG Bowie 2.0 is AUS-8, not sk-5. It is made in Taiwan. The SOG Bowie Commemorative, on the other hand, is made with sk-5 and I believe is made in Seki Japan. As far as I know, no sk-5 blade has ever been produced in Taiwan.

The SOG Bowie 2.0 is AUS-8, not sk-5. It is made in Taiwan. The SOG Bowie Commemorative, on the other hand, is made with sk-5 and I believe is made in Seki Japan. As far as I know, no sk-5 blade has ever been produced in Taiwan.

There is a bowie II and a bowie 2.0. they are different if am not mistaken. I seem to remember Chris@Sog saying that. I can treat the handle with neatsfoot oil to water proof it and cold bluing is easy to wipe on. I was wondering about the performance of the knife though. My pup elite was made in taiwan and thus far it has withstood the abuse I put it through.
Doc

If you could, post a link to one that you've found. Everything I have ever seen about them (any SOG Bowies with II after it) has said that they are AUS-8. I've never known of a SOG Bowie II or 2.0 that has been done with sk-5. The Commemorative and a couple of other Bowies with other designations such as the Recon are the only ones I know of with sk-5 and all of them are made in Seki. I hope you know I'm not trying to argue or anything. I hope you don't take it that way. Just trying to help you make the best decision and educate myself if there are some that I wasn't aware of.

I found it. I think what they had was a slight and unfortunate case of false specs on their site. Maybe Chris will come along and clear this up for us. I am PD sure that is a Bowie 2.0 they're advertising and they just got the steel type wrong. It's actually kind of common with companies that sell SOG knives. You'll find an awfull lot of companies that advertise most of the AUS-8, AUS-6 and other SOG blades as a 440 of some type or just straight up wrong.

If you look at some of their other SOG knives, they have the SOG Seal 2000 and Seal Pup listed as having 440A steel (acually available in AUS-6 for both) and the SOG Team Leader as having 440C (actually available in AUS-8 or DuraTech™ 20CV).

I found it. I think what they had was a slight and unfortunate case of false specs on their site. Maybe Chris will come along and clear this up for us. I am PD sure that is a Bowie 2.0 they're advertising and they just got the steel type wrong. It's actually kind of common with companies that sell SOG knives. You'll find an awfull lot of companies that advertise most of the AUS-8, AUS-6 and other SOG blades as a 440 of some type or just straight up wrong.

If you look at some of their other SOG knives, they have the SOG Seal 2000 and Seal Pup listed as having 440A steel (acually available in AUS-6 for both) and the SOG Team Leader as having 440C (actually available in AUS-8 or DuraTech™ 20CV).

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=SOG99029

Those guys are liars.

From reading this and looking at the link posted. It seems that they have their information wrong. I'll contact them about correcting it but who knows how for that will get us.

The Bowie 2.0 is AUS-8 the Commemorative is SK-5.

Back