SOG Bowie S1

Ron Andersen said:
I know that Cliffie has a small following of devote followers and a modest following of ignorant followers, but I don't know many true knife enthusiasts who would consider Cliffie's writings as anything other than absurd fiction (or maybe some type of curiosity). I would caution you against calling what the Clifster does as a "test" (at least publicly...and especially not here in the SOG Forum). As I've said before, ANY knife can be destroyed...all it takes is the will to do so (and Cliffie had/has the will, depending on the brand). All it takes to impress the weak with razzle-dazzle are a few years in college and wrapping ones writing up with "scientific" jargon.

Thanks for your kind words, Mr. Anderson. Like I said before, I am not here to promote "other" brand or degrade SOG as a manufacturer. But let me ask you this.........Cliff tested the Vision and it failed, how about when he tested another SOG product called "the X42 Recondo"........and that product failed too?.

Two in the roll? I dont think Cliff has a personal Vendata with SOG as his tests are very impartial of one cares to read them in details.

BTW, I read how he (Cliff) tested the Vision and I told Cobalt (a Bladeforum member here) earlier that I "think" the SERE folder would "survive" the same test that he put the Vision under.

Anyone here got Cliff address?, I would like to chat with him and perhap send him my brand new SERE folder to be tested under the "same condition" as the SOG vision went through, for the sake of enlightening the crowd here.

This is a great join, just that when we debate with words with no back up evidence, no ending to it.

Also, when Fallkniven tested their A1's, I have heard that they did the same test parameter for some of Cold Steel "survival" blades, which failed. I hope I am not stirring up more heat than it already is.

Cheers,

Juice

Cobalt said:
Juice, I understand what you are saying. But the knife broke with what I consider is much more force than it should be put under IMO.:thumbdn:

Ok stab the Sere 3/4 of an inch into knotted wood and pry laterraly with it:thumbup: I think you will find that a lot of so called fixed blades fail that test as well( I know of one for sure). Battoning at full force on a folder? Never.

I think you need to be looking into fixed blades, because you are not likely to find a folder that can repeatedly take that kind of abuse.

Cliff tested the knife to destruction to see it's limits. He went way beyond it. It is still a great folder. It is not a prybar or even a stout fixed blade it is a FOLDER

If youread the rest of the test, the knife did well. It cut and stabbed very well which is what a folder does.

Cliff's biggest problem in tests is that he does not offer a summary or his final opinion and the review is way over many people's heads so they read snippets and come away with the wrong idea. Then others get mad at him for his review which was interpreted wrongly. He needs to compare more, ie, put several other folders under that stress. He also needs to give final opinions and summaries.

Ron, Cliff honestly believes he's doing the right thing and I think he does mean well. He just needs to improve his testing writeups so results can be interpreted better. :thumbup:

I would let Cliff has my SERE folder and does the "same test" as he subjected the Vision folder. That is only way to find out, right?

Juice

Juiceseller said:
I would let Cliff has my SERE folder and does the "same test" as he subjected the Vision folder. That is only way to find out, right?

Juice

true, it is. But you gotta realize your folder may never be the same:eek:

Juiceseller said:
Thanks for your kind words, Mr. Anderson. Like I said before, I am not here to promote "other" brand or degrade SOG as a manufacturer. But let me ask you this.........Cliff tested the Vision and it failed, how about when he tested another SOG product called "the X42 Recondo"........and that product failed too?.

Two in the roll? I dont think Cliff has a personal Vendata with SOG as his tests are very impartial of one cares to read them in details....
Trust me, I have corresponded personally at lengths with Mr. Stampster. Because of this (and other things), I am personally convinced that the failure of those knives has nothing to do with empirical evidence (as any knife can be broken and few knives have been destroyed to the degree by Cliff as he has inflicted on SOG knives) and are part of a personal bias (or a type of vendetta). Since many of the SOG forum members feel that Cliffie has disrespected and unjustly desecrated SOG products, references to Cliff and his "tests" here will not receive a warm reception. You do "degrade SOG" by further replication of Cliffie's "opinions" here.

Juiceseller said:

Two in the roll? I dont think Cliff has a personal Vendata with SOG as his tests are very impartial of one cares to read them in details.

BTW, I read how he (Cliff) tested the Vision and I told Cobalt (a Bladeforum member here) earlier that I "think" the SERE folder would "survive" the same test that he put the Vision under.

Anyone here got Cliff address?, I would like to chat with him and perhap send him my brand new SERE folder to be tested under the "same condition" as the SOG vision went through, for the sake of enlightening the crowd here.

This is a great join, just that when we debate with words with no back up evidence, no ending to it.

Also, when Fallkniven tested their A1's, I have heard that they did the same test parameter for some of Cold Steel "survival" blades, which failed. I hope I am not stirring up more heat than it already is.

Cheers,

Juice

But the SOG vision and others like it are just gimics to make sales. A knife is a hard use tool. Any good knife is simple becuase alot of crap on it will just break, like locks and pocket clips and junky sheaths. the S1 and seal knives are great for about any use.

Cobalt said:
Yo, Juice, anyone can break a folder. They are not meant for super hard use. Some are stronger than others, but if you need to do any work that might break a folder use a fixed blade.

Depends on the folder, there are lots of tactical folders that are a lot stronger than many fixed blades, most tactical folders are ground way thicker than utility fixed blades. Some are just extreme, for example the Fulcrum IID is ground WAY thicker than a SHBM. Just consider what that implies about how it should be used, and the blade is only 1/3 the length. It is ground so thick it is hard to actually still call it a knife. You should check it out, if only the pictures.

Cobalt said:
Ok stab the Sere 3/4 of an inch into knotted wood and pry laterraly with it.

I did this recently with a Cara Cara, it did 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4", with just bends, this was in both clear pine and knotted spruce (I opposed the bends in repeated trials). At one inch it went almost flat to the wood before breaking in several places at the same time, it was about the greatest achievement in strength consistency I have seen in a knife, everything was perfectly balanced.

It was also fairly difficult to do the one inch bend, I had to do a shoulder lean, and was beyond the point I would do heavy tip work in woods anyway. I really should have measured the torque. The problem is often that most of the tests are not planned. I will be sitting in someone's basement showing them some knives, they will ask something about can it do this or that and I'll give them it and let them try or do it if I don't know.

Later on I'll write it up and most of it comes off as if I say down to examine some specific property when I just have a fairly good memory and tend to take notes and pay attention to details.

Battoning at full force on a folder? Never.

This is actually being advocated now, see posts by Ritter using his folder for shelter construction and see posts years back by Harvey for martial aspects of folders and the extreme spine impacts he has done. Note I was not using full force, wrist swings alone damaged the lock. I noted the impact energies in the review, they are not a significant fraction of a normal adult male's ability.

In regards to the results of the Vision, while I feel the lock came apart way too fast under impacts considering its slow load break point, the lateral strength is the real issue, the handle broke apart without the blade even flexing significantly nor even stressing the wood. This speaks of a lack of consistency of the design, and you can't really argue for annealed liners.

I cleaned up the review a few days back when I was contacted with the offer of the SERE, and when I do the work with that I'll compare it along with the Cara Cara and note the differences. Yes everything breaks, just like all steels go blunt, but it is how much it takes to do so which is important just like you noted that some tips have greater penetration.

Cliff's biggest problem in tests is that he does not offer a summary or his final opinion ...

I attempted this again recently, I started off with just a few sections (food, woods, misc,utility), and intended to rate the performance of the knife in each section from 1-5 and give this in a table along with all the other knives on another page with in the main review a section at the end explaining the rating briefly for each knife.

I kept getting into trouble with trying to get the listings short enough to be a decent overview, but detailed enough to be informative. For example in wood working you basically have carving, trimming, felling, splitting, prying, and then for every section you have handling, security, edge retention, etc. . So how do you meld all of this into one heading.

I figure maybe keep just 4-6 general listings and then in each review do it in more detail and give an average of sorts. The biggest problem is people who would likely skip to the end and just read that which is why I have little desire to do it, the reviews are not intended to serve that purpose, promote a knife, they are mainly just a reflection of things I do to learn about knives and those are the types of people who they are meant for.

He needs to compare more, ie, put several other folders under that stress.

I have done it on occasion, did it with the Chinook for example and much heavier than I did with the Vision. I did it recently with the Cara Cara and have much heavier work planned for the next generation Endura and Delica *MUCH* heavier, want to bet that when I post it I get similar posts to the above on Spyderco's forum - I doubt it. I alreadly talked to Keating about the work with the Chinook.

On a kind of ironic note about liners, while they can be subject to release with impacts, the actual break points are fairly high, I would be surprised if the Sere doesn't take much higher impacts before it breaks.

-Cliff

:rolleyes:

Guys,

I'd let this one go. In this case, I think it would be better to just walk away. Regardless of the text of your post, this could get messy.

This forum discusses SOG products. More "general" (non SOG) posts/topics should be taken to either the Blade Discussion Forum or the Knife Reviews and Testing Forum. And if SOG products start getting discussed, this thread could go down the drain quickly.

Just walk away.

Depends on the folder, there are lots of tactical folders that are a lot stronger than many fixed blades, most tactical folders are ground way thicker than utility fixed blades. Some are just extreme, for example the Fulcrum IID is ground WAY thicker than a SHBM. Just consider what that implies about how it should be used, and the blade is only 1/3 the length. It is ground so thick it is hard to actually still call it a knife. You should check it out, if only the pictures. I hve seen that knife and don't like the blade geometry. If the blade was wider like say another half inch I might like it. As it is, it is not wide enough for it's thickness.

I did this recently with a Cara Cara, it did 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4", with just bends, this was in both clear pine and knotted spruce (I opposed the bends in repeated trials). At one inch it went almost flat to the wood before breaking in several places at the same time, it was about the greatest achievement in strength consistency I have seen in a knife, everything was perfectly balanced. I am not sure what that one even looks like.

It was also fairly difficult to do the one inch bend, I had to do a shoulder lean, and was beyond the point I would do heavy tip work in woods anyway. I really should have measured the torque. The problem is often that most of the tests are not planned. I will be sitting in someone's basement showing them some knives, they will ask something about can it do this or that and I'll give them it and let them try or do it if I don't know.You need to take pics of these tests, just to show. That would help. I'll send you my Canon Sureshot Elf, if you send me your well used BM:D

This is actually being advocated now, see posts by Ritter using his folder for shelter construction and see posts years back by Harvey for martial aspects of folders and the extreme spine impacts he has done. Note I was not using full force, wrist swings alone damaged the lock. I noted the impact energies in the review, they are not a significant fraction of a normal adult male's ability.That might be, but you know as well as I do that you can feel and look at a folder and determine if it will take severe punishment. That one never looked to me like i could. Try a Tomcat Full size and see what happens. The blade on that one is 0.2 inch

In regards to the results of the Vision, while I feel the lock came apart way too fast under impacts considering its slow load break point, the lateral strength is the real issue, the handle broke apart without the blade even flexing significantly nor even stressing the wood. This speaks of a lack of consistency of the design, and you can't really argue for annealed liners.Yes, annealed liners sandwiched inside plastic or G10 scales? Should have been more than strong enough. After seeing the pics, I would not have expected that failure, but more of a tip break or blade bend.

I cleaned up the review a few days back when I was contacted with the offer of the SERE, and when I do the work with that I'll compare it along with the Cara Cara and note the differences. Yes everything breaks, just like all steels go blunt, but it is how much it takes to do so which is important just like you noted that some tips have greater penetration.Agreed. My point was that no one should be surprised when a folder breaks. However, the manner in which it fails is nteresting as I would expect a folding blade to snap and not bend as edge holding and hardness are usually the primary design, not bending like you would see n a fixed blade.

I attempted this again recently, I started off with just a few sections (food, woods, misc,utility), and intended to rate the performance of the knife in each section from 1-5 and give this in a table along with all the other knives on another page with in the main review a section at the end explaining the rating briefly for each knife. Yes, that will help. I think that it is true that some can misinterpret a review. Your reviews have considerable info which some have a hard time reading through.

I kept getting into trouble with trying to get the listings short enough to be a decent overview, but detailed enough to be informative. For example in wood working you basically have carving, trimming, felling, splitting, prying, and then for every section you have handling, security, edge retention, etc. . So how do you meld all of this into one heading.I think discussing your reviews is better left off this forum as I am sure they are not appreciated, but I think the writting itself can be improved. I'll email you.

I figure maybe keep just 4-6 general listings and then in each review do it in more detail and give an average of sorts. The biggest problem is people who would likely skip to the end and just read that which is why I have little desire to do it, the reviews are not intended to serve that purpose, promote a knife, they are mainly just a reflection of things I do to learn about knives and those are the types of people who they are meant for.

I have done it on occasion, did it with the Chinook for example and much heavier than I did with the Vision. I did it recently with the Cara Cara and have much heavier work planned for the next generation Endura and Delica *MUCH* heavier, want to bet that when I post it I get similar posts to the above on Spyderco's forum - I doubt it. I alreadly talked to Keating about the work with the Chinook.

On a kind of ironic note about liners, while they can be subject to release with impacts, the actual break points are fairly high, I would be surprised if the Sere doesn't take much higher impacts before it breaks. it may, as it is a fairly heavy folder if the new ones are similar to the older ones.

Ron, I agree.

Cliff, I will email and/or pm you concerning this.

Cobalt said:
I hve seen that knife and don't like the blade geometry. If the blade was wider like say another half inch I might like it. As it is, it is not wide enough for it's thickness.

Yeah, the primary grind is really narrow, but it is a prybar, it is advocated as such.

I am not sure what that one even looks like.

Regular Spyderco, similar to an Endura.

You need to take pics of these tests, just to show.

I have started, the newer reviews have on average 20-40 pictures.

After seeing the pics, I would not have expected that failure, but more of a tip break or blade bend.

FRN by itself is really strong, really thin liners are more for show as they are not as rigid as a big slab of plastic. A lot depends on how you apply the force to the handle.

Your reviews have considerable info which some have a hard time reading through.

Some of the old ones were horrible because I kept adding bits to them and then after 3-4 years they were ten pages long, it reminded me of the fortran programs I use frequently. I rewrote most of the older ones a few years back and trimmed a lot of the material and cross linked it. Most of the new ones would benefit of this as well if I had seperate pages for other material and referenced it. But again they are not strictly meant as reviews which some people get and others don't.

... but I think the writting itself can be improved.

Severely.

-Cliff

Ron,
I think Cliff is being reasonable here... :eek:
I think the explanation of unplanned tests is legit, we've all shown off before.

As always I find that the issue is repeatability, and consistency between tests.

I think also, that this may be better put into a new thread, since it now has little (if anything) to do with the SOG Bowie S1... which has no lock, and dosn't normally fold...:D

Bobby B said:
As always I find that the issue is repeatability, and consistency between tests.

This is a real problem, if you check many of the reviews from the late 90's you will note many have been edited to include comments which note that some of the methods used are problematic and point out the problems and the conclusions are not well supported and in some cases I refuted them with more careful work later on. In a lot of the early reviews, the Vision was one, I was doing things often for the first time and working out how to do them during the review.

Most of the cutting ability and edge retention work is decent in this regard, and fairly stable now and gives consistent results, some of the other things still are not though, mainly for reasons noted in the above. I finally rigged up a simple impact device this past weekend something I meant to do for about five years, so now I have a way to subject knives to specific impacts which I wanted specifically for batoning because most knives can do this to some degree and most will fail at another.

-Cliff

Juiceseller said:
For the cost of the mentioned knife, why not purchase a Fallkniven S1 for around 100 bucks.....the steel is much more easy to care for, and the convex grind is a dream to sharpen.

Hi, You wrote that a convex edge is a "dream to sharpen". I want to buy a Fallkniven Odin but worying how to sharpen convex. Can you tell me how you do this, thanks, Passat

The Fallkniven convex knives often come with a very tiny v-bevel, some of the ones I have seen are so light they were made with just a few passes on a benchstone. Just maintain them as you would a regular v-ground edge. They sharpen so easily as the edge is so thin, you are basically sharpening a piece of metal which is a few thousands of an inch wide. They also have a forum on Knifeforums and Peter H. is also fairly responsive to emails.

-Cliff

I think that this conversation needs to go somewhere else now as it seems to have evolved and is no longer about SOG or the SOG Bowie like the title says. So if you wish to continue please do so in the General Discussion.

Thanks
Chris

Back