Sog Field Pup/Field Pup II input needed

Hi friends,

I should give a bit of background before I give you my questions. I have two nephews who are big in Boy Scouts, last year it was time for the older to receive his first (real) fixed blade knife from his uncle. I did some research and found BSA (through their magazines and web sites) does not have a policy against fixed blade knives and in the BSA magazine recommended two fixed blades Buck Diamond Back Guide and the Sog Field Pup. I purchased tweaked the edge on and sent off a beautiful Sog that my nephew has fallen in love with. (Uncle 1 grandparents 0 :D) Move on to this year and my son is demonstrating sufficient responsibility to deserve a fixed blade to carry as we work around the acreage camp and hunt. Sog has really put me in a pickle here by adding the Field Pup II to the line up.

So my questions concerning differences between the Field Pup original and Field Pup II are as follows. Do any of you have good field experience with both the original and the new "II" version of the field pup? Which seems better suited for skinning game from rabbit/squirrel size all the way to deer? How is the II in comparison to the original for general fieldcraft? I note the blade is not only thicker and longer on the II but that it is also wider (edge to spine) Is it as nicely balanced as the original? I will be honest last year when I bought that knife for my nephew he almost didn't get it, I just about couldn't part with it. :eek:

Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated by both myself and I am sure my son also since he will be the recipient of this years purchase.

Huauqui

The BSA magazine article is from Boys life and here is a link http://boyslife.org/outdoors/askgearguy/4856/choosing-a-hunting-knife/

Last edited:
Anyone?

Does anyone have one of the larger Field Pup II? I would really love some input on this knife. No one close to me is stocking it and most have stoped stocking the original Field Pup.

Huauqui

I would be curious to know the same thing. I got the original Field Pup a while ago and sent it back because it wasnt what I was wanting at the time but it was no reflection on the knife itself. Peronally it is my favorite SOG fixed blade. Truth be told I wish I would have kept it. I am in the same boat because there is nowhere near where I live to see a lot of the knives I am interested in and most times I wind up having to just order and see.

Hello huauqui,
I have a Field Pup and love it. I did not even know about the Field Pup II until I read your post, so I cant help you with that. I did read up on it at Sogs website and although I don't have one to compare, it occurred to me that you said "it would be your sons first fixed blade." That being said, I would go with the original Field Pup for the simple fact that it is lighter, smaller, possibly easier for him to get used too as a first fixed blade. He will love the Pup a great all around fixed blade. Good luck, hoped this helped.

Hello huauqui,
I have a Field Pup and love it. I did not even know about the Field Pup II until I read your post, so I cant help you with that. I did read up on it at Sogs website and although I don't have one to compare, it occurred to me that you said "it would be your sons first fixed blade." That being said, I would go with the original Field Pup for the simple fact that it is lighter, smaller, possibly easier for him to get used too as a first fixed blade. He will love the Pup a great all around fixed blade. Good luck, hoped this helped.

I echo his suggestion! Stick with the small one for your son, get a bigger one for you. ;)

I owned the Field Pup for quite some time before selling it for a need of funding a while back. The knife was great in every way, I just needed quick funds at the time :(

The Field Pup would be the perfect size fixed blade for boy scouts (Eagle Scout 2004 here). The Field Pup II I've seen in person at Bass Pro Shops and next to the original it's HUGE. The original Field Pup would be perfect. I'd say order one and select whichever sheath type you think your son would prefer. Back in the day I liked the leather sheath but now as an officer I like the nylon/kydex stuff for it's versatility of attachments. One of my recent purchases is the Seal Pup and that is an excellent knife too for about the same size as the Field Pup :)

I hope this helps, J.

Thanks guys,

That is what I needed, thanks. I had wondered if the new II version would look/feel much bigger so thanks J. I appreciate it.

Guess my son will get a Field Pup this year :)

huauqui

Back