SOG FLASHII-Best way to sharpen AUS8 steel?

I own Sog's FlashII partially serrated knife and I love it to death. The only thing I am having problems with is sharpening it. When I received it I shaved all the hair off my knuckles and portions on my arm and was impressed at how razor sharp it was. I have been using a ceramic kitchen sharpener on of those Faberware sharpeners thats black and stainless with 2 V ceramics in it.

I have not been able to get it sharp enough to shave with and I use my knife everyday and always try to keep it sharp. I have researched the AUS 8 steel and everyone has said its a high end steel that sharpens easily, but doesn't hold a edge as long as the ATS-34. Which I sharpen everyday so holding a edge isn't a issue its getting it to the point that it will shave hair. Thats how I like to keep my knives. Does anyone have any suggestions on sharpeners?
Plan to get a diamond sharpener block from the sporting goods store would that make sharpening easy?

Will have to get one like that does that sharpener last a long time?
Or should I get something in a rectangle diamond sharpener?
I have one of those gerber pen size collapsable diamond sharpener that has the groove for sharpening serrated blades. It is real narrow on the diamond flat side, and rounded on the other end so I haven't been able to sharpen it easily, other than that kitchen ceramic sharpener.

Will have to try out a better sharpener is does it have to have 600 fine grit on it to work good or are all diamond knife sharpeners that same at the sporting goods stores?

Sincerely,
TXJAWS2000

I sharpen with a lot of things but regarding AUS-8 I can make it scraping-shaving sharp to shaving sharp with 600 grit sandpaper/wood block combo. Get a good fine stone or go finer with the sandpaper a you'll be alright. Oh, and by the way... AUS-8 is easy to sharpen.

If the sharpener you have been using is one of these:

hmgdSmall_AppliancesAllFarberware_Professional_Series_4_Knife_Sharpener1-resized200.jpg

Farberware_Professional_Series_4_Knife_Sharpener
Dont use it!

The problem is most likely that the angle on the Sog doesn't match the angle of the rods and thus it needs to be reprofiled on a benchstone. Read Joe's FAQ for more information.

-Cliff

I have Emerson Traveller with partially serrated AUS 8 blade. Spyderco Sharpmaker is making it razor sharp. If angle on the Sog doesn't match the angle of the rods, you can detect this using magic marker trick(just color edge with magic marker to see where you are removing material) and reprofile knife placing stones into 30 degrees slots. Sharpmaker comes with instruction and DVD. It is very easy to use tool. best spend 40 bucks.

Yes the picture of the knife sharpner of faberware is really like the one I have.
Bought it thinking if it would sharpen kitchen knives then it had to be good boy was I wrong. The thought about the angle of sharpening with it didn't cross my mind but makes alot of sense. Has anyone used any of those block style diamond sharpener's on AUS8 steel? Used to have one of those Arizona wet rocks kind of a grayish looking stones but haven't been able to find and see if it would work on the Sog FlashII.

Any whetstone will work on almost any steel.
Bill

Back