SOG Jungle Canopy-Updated with Quick Review

Looking for some info on the Jungle Canopy. Seen a few pics of it and like what I see. Much prefer the lack of a sawback like the primative. Any info? Curious on the thickness.

DSC05480.JPG

Last edited:
Hey UCPOPO, according to the SOG website it's 0.19 inches or 4.8mm thick. I agree with you on the lack of a sawback much easier to baton and do other things with the spine. Been seriously looking at one myself. Hope this helped!

Well, I ordered one today. I'll give a good review on it in the weeks to come.

Well my SOG Jungle Canopy came in and I thought I would go ahead and give a brief review of my first impressions and share some photos.

First off the sheath seems to be well made and has some type of stiffeners in it so its not too floppy. I like the cross retention strap used. The front pocket would work good with a multi-tool or smallers knife.

DSC00515.jpg

I was happy to see the full tang design with the expossed pommel. Not sure how great it would be for hammering. I also like the kraton grip. Not too sticky or to firm. Feels just right.

DSC00516.jpg

Im happy with the thickness of the blade as 3/16" seems just about right for this badboy. I also like the jimping as SOG seems to be the masters at it.

DSC00517.jpg

The blade design lends itself to be a nice solid chopper. At a weight of just over 19 ounces it has a nice feel with plenty of power available.

DSC00519.jpg

Now heres something I REALLY want to stress. I've purchased hundreds of knives the past few years. I have NEVER received a factory edge on a big blade that was SO FREAKING SHARP. This thing is scary sharp and may have a better edge then many small, thin blade pocket knives I've received. I'm not a great paper cutter but heres some quick slices with it.

DSC00520.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with my first impressions of this knife all the way around. I need to put it to work to give a true review but innitally I am very impressed with the Jungle Canopy for a $50 blade as I've had some $100+ blades that weren't to this quality level. I hope to give a more detailed report in the near future. For those wondering here are the specs:

Blade Length: 10"
Overall Length: 15.5"
Thickness: 3/16"
Weight: 19.4 oz.
Edge: Straight
Steel: 8Cr13MoV
HRC: 56-58
Handle: Kraton
Finish: Satin
Sheath: Nylon

Last edited:
I just got mine today, and I second that sharpness! The construction is solid and simple, the balance is very good, the grip is excellent, and I can't wait to take it into the GA woods for some bushwhacking. I hope I run into some zombies or monster hogs. Most impressive for a $35 knife!

I got mine today and I am very impressed I got mine at Academy Sports in McDonough Ga for 49.00
I used it today to clear some 1" to 5" saplings and trees It is a great chopper right out the box !

Back