Sog Kiku VG10- need advice/repair info

My army buddy gave me this knife, im having an issue with it not locking. I called sog, waited an hour and 45 on the line... they cant even replace it. Limited edition, no equal value etc...
have any of you ever repaired one of these? I'm handy enough to do it just do not want to take it apart without some pointers first.

there is nothing wrong with the knife beyond not locking. Opens flawlessly closes easily. the blade lock just wont stop it from closing when i dont want it to.
pics of the knife

Is it a liner lock? I didn't see any cutout for a lockback or buttons ect. Taking liner locks apart is easy just don't lose any screws it might just be super dirty. If the lock bar is broken you would be able to see this from the front of the knife.

I can see SOG not willing/able to replace it as a limited edition,
But are you saying that SOG will not even repair it?

I think that's a button lock that got stuck. Maybe try shooting some lube in it or blasting it out with air duster.

I can see SOG not willing/able to replace it as a limited edition,
But are you saying that SOG will not even repair it?
when i spoke with them the customer service person that answered said "I'm sorry sir we do not repair knives, we can replace it"
I think that's a button lock that got stuck. Maybe try shooting some lube in it or blasting it out with air duster.
well, i took the entire thing apart last night, cleaned and lubed everything, re assembled and for the first blade open it was perfect and locked just right. Closed it and reopened, and the blade lock wont hold.
my guess is that the spring the pushes the button out is junk. Its a tiny thin spring made of cheap metal. it's definitely the button lock. even stretching the spring every so slightly it worked better, but only for one open.

what boggles my mind is that they didnt offer me the replacement, and the only difference is the face mine is vg 10 and theirs is s35vn.

I submitted a warranty replacement request, despite the sentimental value, i just cant trust this knife to not slice me again when the blade closes on my finger.

Back