SOG NEVER again !

I have a small Sogzilla, Flash 2 and a Trident. None of them are particularly sturdy compared to other major brands in same price range, and all three have minor bladeplay which seems to be the norm for Sog:thumbdn:. Despite these downfalls I have never considered unloading them. They all have great ergo, are light, sit deep in the pocket, deploy quickly, and have a definate asthesthetic appeal. They are my favorite light duty/personal protection folders.:thumbup:

I've never had an issue with my Trident Tanto. I had to do a slight re-tightening, but that was nothing. Happy owner here.

I am a fan of knives in general, although I prefer Spyderco I own several different brands. I still don't and don't think I ever will own a SOG. I always ask to look at some when I'm blade shopping but always put them back (blade play, F&F, etc) I still don't understand what people see in the company...

I have a Flash 2 with a little blade play...haven't tried tightening yet! And my favorite everyday carry in FL (Auto friendly) is a SOG TAC Auto! I paid $100 for it at a gun show..no play at all! Also have a Seal Pup..all n all.. very satisified with SOG!

Screw sog knives :).. i will NEVER buy 1 again... ive have my fair-share and have sold all of them...
Ive had rust issues with the flash series.. (i maintain my knives GREAT btw)

Also had certain issues like a knife not wanting to lock up at all... had to send it in, even then the problem wasn't fixed...

Sog just cant compete on a scale with benchmade...or spyderco...

Perhaps I'm lucky, but I've never had any problems with my SOG knives. In fact, There are things I like about them better than Emersons, a Benchmade, and Kershaws that I've owned. In light of this thread, I'll stick to folders. I have an original Tomcat, a Night Vision, a Vulcan, and a Facet. All of these knives except the Tomcat open more smoothly than any other knife I own, and the lock-up is solid on all of them. When it comes to SOG folders, I wouldn't hesitate with any of the Japan made Arc lock models. In fact, I'd love to get a new Tomcat and a Pendulum! As for the less expensive SOGs without the Arc lock, I've handled them and they felt ok, but I love my Arc lock knives!

Hi guys.

I have several SOG knives, many of them folders, and I have had very good as well as very bad experiences with them. Good more so than bad overall. My Trident Tigerstripe folder was one of the not-so-good ones. All in all it is not that poorly constructed, but it is extremely tight and too slow to open. If I loosen it at all the blade play tends to get too sloppy. So I tighten it up a tiny bit at a time until I get the play to an acceptable minimum - and I was quite liberal with what I was willing to accept! But to get the play even remotely acceptable the blade opens much more slowly than it should. No happy medium unfortunately. However if you don’t mind it opening slowly then it serves well as a general utility cutting blade. (Except of course it has a partially serrated blade which I don’t prefer for general utility purposes).

My favorite SOG folders? A couple actually: My SOG Vision (Titanium Handle) is fantastic though I bit too heavy for the pocket. Night vision is a little lighter but doesn’t quite feel the same. Also, believe it or not the Twitch XL is great, especially as a general pocket knife. Super sharp plain edge that keeps it edge for a long time, opens as fast or slow as you like with the lever thing - whatever it's called. Only negative is that ever-present blade lock that cannot be disabled without completely dismantling the knife. (That little rotten slider that always manages to slide to the "Locked" position when you don’t want it to?)

All that said, my current pocket knife is a Spyderco Tenacious. :D

Thanks!

Jim (NOT fishin' today!)

You can't trust SOG knives. The market a knife as the "Official Navy SEAL Knife" but there is no such thing. Really the folders are a joke. The employees worship the owner. No USA made products just assembled here.:( They market their steel like it is something different than what it is, (ie the old 440A/440C were really AUS-6a/AUS-8a). The current AUS-8a is probably really just 420 like their other junk. Oh yea, did I mention they don't warranty their sheaths either? A very misleading company that will lie to sell products.

The problems I had with Sog is its clips. My Vulcan clip just snapped. And my jet edge 2 clip wore out the handle(carbon fiber) the blades were awesome.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that REALLY dislikes this company. I was very dissapointed when I found out my Twitch II was only assembled in America. That Twitch has been spent more time at SOG than in my pocket. They accidentally sent me a snotty email they thought was going to a fellow employee.

Will never buy another knife from this company again.

My SOG Night Vision is a great knife. It's on par with any Benchmade or Spyderco folder. And SOG's multi-tools are pretty damn good too. I'd stay away from the lower end stuff, but I stay away from the lower end stuff from all companies.

I have heard some good words about the multi tools, but I haven't had one.

My first nicer knife was a SOG Aegis. I really liked the design and shape of the knife. When I got it, it wasn't perfect but wasn't junk. It had some side to side play, and I never really cared for the assisted opening or the lock. The AUS8 seemed soft, but not crap. I did like the shape of the blade and flowing ergos of the hande.

Not a terrible knife, but for $60 I know other companies can make a much better folder.

I had several of them in the past and was impressed with them, sorry to hear that they have taken a turn for the worse.

I had several of them in the past and was impressed with them, sorry to hear that they have taken a turn for the worse.

Not sure if things have taken a bad turn. Time and user feedback will help clarify that.

In my first post in this thread, I was largely referring to my experience with SOGs, and that has been exlusively with the folders and MTs. I pretty much moved away from fixed blades when I came back to knives a few years ago.

Over that the last 9 months I've followed things SOG a bit closer, reading all the various posts and getting a better feel for SOGs products.

My observations:

The fixed blades are regarded highly, especially the older ones. The current models appear to get high to very high praise, with a few exceptions. I have seen some negatives regarding the choice of handle materials and sheaths.

The hawks get praised by users and reviewers. An area SOG seems to have really nailed what works and folks want.

Likewise, the multitools get high marks. Only negative comments I've seen related to size, or choice of tools on the MT; both a matter of personal preference. Don't recall any negatives related to quality.

The folders seem to be the most troublesome and sometimes volatile area for many. I see some praised and some plain out hated. Some of the new designs may not have been the best choice by SOG and offended many, but I've seen comments from folks praising those same designs.
I have a number of SOG folders, all bought in the last few years, and I find them decent for the price point I bought them at.
Folders are an area where folks seem to have strong opinions on what they should get for their dollar and how it should perform. I think those expectations may be a little high in many cases.
It's kind of a confusing area.
Take the Flash. Nutnfancy still raves about both the Flashs (mostly for their weight).
I don't quite get the level of his rave. I have both a Flash 1 and 2. I like both of them for several reasons, and think they are decent EDCs, but its not a knife I'd "rave" about. And its not a knife I'd expect a lot of performance from. But then I've seen one reviewer put a Flash 2 thru torture. He repeatedly batoned with it! When he got done it was still working fine...a little blade play, but still fully functional. I was amazed.
Again, very confusing area.

As to customer service, I don't know. Only person I've spoken is Chris, and he bends over backwards to help folks.
Considering most folks only post when they have a problem with CS, its hard to form an opinion. I have seen posts complimenting their CS.
A good CS experience involves clear communications on both ends of the issue (which most folks suck at), my guess would be SOGs CS is probably about the same as most large manufacturers.

SOG DOG #2

Not sure if things have taken a bad turn. Time and user feedback will help clarify that.

In my first post in this thread, I was largely referring to my experience with SOGs, and that has been exlusively with the folders and MTs. I pretty much moved away from fixed blades when I came back to knives a few years ago.

Over that the last 9 months I've followed things SOG a bit closer, reading all the various posts and getting a better feel for SOGs products.

My observations:

The fixed blades are regarded highly, especially the older ones. The current models appear to get high to very high praise, with a few exceptions. I have seen some negatives regarding the choice of handle materials and sheaths.

The hawks get praised by users and reviewers. An area SOG seems to have really nailed what works and folks want.

Likewise, the multitools get high marks. Only negative comments I've seen related to size, or choice of tools on the MT; both a matter of personal preference. Don't recall any negatives related to quality.

The folders seem to be the most troublesome and sometimes volatile area for many. I see some praised and some plain out hated. Some of the new designs may not have been the best choice by SOG and offended many, but I've seen comments from folks praising those same designs.
I have a number of SOG folders, all bought in the last few years, and I find them decent for the price point I bought them at.
Folders are an area where folks seem to have strong opinions on what they should get for their dollar and how it should perform. I think those expectations may be a little high in many cases.
It's kind of a confusing area.
Take the Flash. Nutnfancy still raves about both the Flashs (mostly for their weight).
I don't quite get the level of his rave. I have both a Flash 1 and 2. I like both of them for several reasons, and think they are decent EDCs, but its not a knife I'd "rave" about. And its not a knife I'd expect a lot of performance from. But then I've seen one reviewer put a Flash 2 thru torture. He repeatedly batoned with it! When he got done it was still working fine...a little blade play, but still fully functional. I was amazed.
Again, very confusing area.

As to customer service, I don't know. Only person I've spoken is Chris, and he bends over backwards to help folks.
Considering most folks only post when they have a problem with CS, its hard to form an opinion. I have seen posts complimenting their CS.
A good CS experience involves clear communications on both ends of the issue (which most folks suck at), my guess would be SOGs CS is probably about the same as most large manufacturers.

SOG DOG #2

I think this post captures my feelings exactly.

SOG might want to drop, or seriously reconsider, their folders. My Flash II started out great, but developed blade play, pocket clip bent with minimal hits against things while clipped, and the assisted opening slowed down pretty drastically within a month or so of use.

On the other hand, I love their fixed blades. The sheath on my Seal Pup Elite (Nylon, MOLLE, buckle, and front pouch) is one of the best I've seen. The blade has decent ergos, (could use a larger choil) and its held up very well when I beat on it.

I have yet to try out a tomahawk, but people seem to love em.

Its a shame customer service has to ruin the companies image, I myself have had a lackluster experience with them as well. However, Chris, our mod here, was very kind and quickly communicated with me.

On another note, lets do something SOG DOG related soon :D seems like Alann started everything up, but there's still not much traffic or excitement over here!
Sorry if that was a ramble/recap of Alann's post :p

SOG DOG #24

Last edited:
I'd have to echo thoughts on sog lower end stuff. Though i havent had any real trouble, their higher quality knives are a world apart. My sog vision titanium is incredibly smooth and locks up well.

I bought a Flash I as a replacement for my light duty EDC, a Gerber Mini Fast. The Flash I is ok, but after having it for a few weeks the blade play didnt inspire too much confidence, and the lock up has felt weak since I got it. I like the deep pocket carry it's clip provides, but it bends easy and now has some side to side play.

This was my first SOG, and I probably wont buy another....

On another note, lets do something SOG DOG related soon :D seems like Alann started everything up, but there's still not much traffic or excitement over here!

It has been fairly quiet of late.
I think overall we did manage to generate a bit more traffic and the SOG DOGs membership has grown to 39.

To be accurate, I didn't start SOG DOGs. I guess you could say it was my idea based on a question posted by our ex-#1. I sort of nudged him into it, then it got rolling pretty good, then we had a little drama :rolleyes:, got past that fairly quickly and kept on going nicely with Chris's assistance.

Sorry if that was a ramble/recap of Alann's post :p

Not at all. Always nice to know someone thinks I got it right and additional perspective is always appreciated.

SOG DOG #2

as far as im concerned sog is below smith and wesson in terms of durability.....thats right i said it.... now its just higher end knives like benchmade and spyderco

as far as im concerned sog is below smith and wesson in terms of durability.....thats right i said it.... now its just higher end knives like benchmade and spyderco

Ouchie. Can't get much more negative than than comparison.:D
I'm not sure anything is worse than the majority of S&Ws.
Read something the other day that S&W have finally gotten it right on their 3rd generation models...I'll believe it when I see it.

Would NEVER try and talk you out of Spyderco. I love Spyderco...great company. I love my Spydies....from the low end to the high end of the line, just great knives.

I picked up a Byrd Cara Cara 2 the other day. Even that part of the line pretty darn impressive.

SOG DOG #2

Back