SOG Pentagon: Seki VS Taiwan Update!

A couple years ago I got a Taiwanese produced Pentagon. It was an okay blade for under the pillow but it did not have the sleek look of the Seki produced Pentagons. Recently a Seki Pentagon come up on the exchange and I snagged it. The blade was in bad shape but was fully disclosed by the seller with good pictures. The blade tip had been blunted by what looks to me some sort of impact. Also, it was stored in its original leather sheath so there was patina on it. Well after some sharpening and polishing, it looks great! Here are some pics comparing the old to the new.
20140225_123321.jpg

20140225_123403.jpg

20140225_123446.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting shots. Visually ,apart from the obvious changes, there doesn't seem to be much difference quality wise. Can you tell when you handle them?

I've just bought a Seki made Seal 2000. looking forward to seeing how it compares to my Seal Team Elite.
P

I don't Know how the Seki Pentagon came new, but I did buy the Tai new and the fit and finish on the blade was not good. The tip on the Tai came very blunted from the factory. Sort of disappointing (pun intended) for a knife thats sole purpose is to be sharp and pointy at the tip. I had to do some significant sharpening to make it acceptably pointy like it should have been out of the box. The new one has the better steel (AUS8 vs Aus6) but again, these blades are really only meant for one thing so edge holding and toughness isn't really relevant.

When do I handle them? Well, only in my house as daggers are illegal to carry in the state of Pennsylvania. I keep one (read now the Seki version) under my pillow or next to my bed. Also, I spent the time I was in my house yesterday with the Seki IWB at the small of my back just to get a feel for it. Very comfortable, so much so I need to be careful to not forget it is there when I leave the house. Mostly though, these are collecting blades that will hopefully never cut a thing. I really, really love the way the Seki looks!

As for the Seki made Seal 2000, I had a chance to compare a friends to my Seal Team. The knives seem quite different to me though the share a common lineage. The Seam Team seemed skinnier and longer while the 2000 seemed more robust. When you get the 2000, take some pics and let us know how you like it.

Thank you for the comparison shots and congrats on the "new" knife.

The newer one has more belly, probably makes it a little better at general use. I have an old Pentagon with the leather sheath. After seeing these side by sides, I'm tempted to also get a newer Taiwan made one.

Your welcome for the pics. Yep, the newer one is better for general use and I like the new sheath better than the older leather one, I see you do custom leather sheaths so this might not be the case for you. But man, I just love the look of the old one...and with a little melting the new kydex sheath works with the old knife. The old knife is slightly smaller at the faux guard than the knew one and that is where the retention comes from on the kydex.

I was wondering if the new one had a bigger or smaller handle diameter. Thanks for that info. . Re heat molding Kydex is pretty easy, I've done it a few times. I keep thinking of getting a new sheath for my old Pentagon for woods use. Am still trying to figure out if I want Kydex or nylon. LOL!

Update!

A couple months ago I was fortunate enough to get the Pentagon Mini Seki. Well since I own both the Taiwanese and Seki full sized Pentagons I had to have a Taiwanese mini! Found one here on the exchange!

20150115_105355.jpg

20150115_105403.jpg

Cray, you did a great job cleaning up that Seki Pentagon. It's really very very nice.
I wasn't aware though that AUS6 could form a patina.
The difference in blade design between the older Seki made and Taiwan made is interesting.
The wider blade does improve it's application for other than "stabbing". But then other blade designs
are much better for that. Like your situation NY State doesn't allow double edged defined on the
books as "daggers".
I tend to prefer the older blade shape, it seems more "honest" about it's raison d'etre..LOL

Very nice collection. I myself prefer the shape of the newer Pentagon and plan to pick one up in the near future after I discovered you can get a nice aftermarket kydex sheath for it from SOG for $30.

Having looked around I'd have to say that the current Taiwan made Pentagon is a very good
deal for those who are into that blade type. Looking at those photos I also find it interesting that
the mini Pentagons don't differ so much between the old Seki and current Taiwan ones in terms of
grind lines. Yet the full size Pentagons differ considerably. Strange.

Cray, you did a great job cleaning up that Seki Pentagon. It's really very very nice.
I wasn't aware though that AUS6 could form a patina.
The difference in blade design between the older Seki made and Taiwan made is interesting.
The wider blade does improve it's application for other than "stabbing". But then other blade designs
are much better for that. Like your situation NY State doesn't allow double edged defined on the
books as "daggers".
I tend to prefer the older blade shape, it seems more "honest" about it's raison d'etre..LOL

Neither was I. Perhaps that is the wrong term for it. I went back and tride to find the pics from the guy I bought it from here on the exchange but he took them down as this was quite a while ago. It was like a brown water looking mark all over the blade. Came off easy with a little polish.

Having looked around I'd have to say that the current Taiwan made Pentagon is a very good
deal for those who are into that blade type. Looking at those photos I also find it interesting that
the mini Pentagons don't differ so much between the old Seki and current Taiwan ones in terms of
grind lines. Yet the full size Pentagons differ considerably. Strange.

Interestingly enough, the Seki mini is smaller in size but heavier in the hand. I think the blade is slightly thicker.

Back